Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, but doing something like #3 would potentially attract a new breed of customers.... which would bring in more revenue, which would result in more resources for all game modes.

Then from a business standpoint, the choice is a no-brainer. It's not the option that I would use, but I purchase the game anyway.

Go with the the option that will give the most return, just don't go down a resource/time/development rabbit hole. If you do it, get it right the first time and make sure it's solid, or else there will be a lot of p*ssed off new users
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #22
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, meh. I remember back when H2H was all the rage for OOTP and we wanted it so you could challenge someone to a game. Some model like that for a quick-strike play where you could take someone on would be more ideal, in the absence of that, I don't see the others being as useful en masse relative to the headaches.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #23
drhay53
Major Leagues

FWIW, I would never use any of the suggested modes, although I do recognize that it may have some broader appeal and be interesting to new types of players.

If I had to put them in order of what I think would be best, I would say it's 3), 2), 1) (numbered by order in OP).

For 3) in general, the ultimate team game modes have been quite successful in many different sports games.

For 2) you seem to have a very loyal and stable base of players who play online leagues. This is a very natural thing to offer them, and so would make a lot of sense.

For 1), you are not really trying to attract players who are just going to jump in and play a meaningless exhibition game against a friend. If you were to do something like this, you would probably want to have online leaderboards, and let's call them 'seasons', like in e.g. Diablo 3, where for several months, players compete for some prize at the end of that 'season', for things like 'best winning percentage', 'best sportsmanship (least number of dropped games)', etc. But personally I don't think you have this kind of player base at the moment. And I'm not sure you'd attract them without a really deep exhibition-like online mode.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #24
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

There used to be an MLB CCG (which option 3 basically is, just digitally), and it bombed.

I wouldn't use any of these.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, but doing something like #3 would potentially attract a new breed of customers.... which would bring in more revenue, which would result in more resources for all game modes.
i disagree 100%. I don't think Madden or The Show got more customers just because of a card game. It may drive revenue with micro transactions, but I don't see that happening in ootp. Here's why:

Those modes are for online play. No one plays ultimate team against the computer. Unless you have a solid online game(and I don't mean online leagues), then no one will pay a buck to get a few random cards when they could just trade for the player in a solo.

What we do need is actual online play. I love online leagues and the biggest improvement that can be made is real time strategy. Far too often, we are watching in one of my live streams a questionable call made by the AI. We want to manage our teams instead of just setting lineups and computer strategy.

Something like that would greatly enhance online play, which would get more players playing. Online play is the future of OOTP in my opinion. IN my league, we usually have half the league watching the live stream and we do this daily. Add in a human management system, and we could probably get 80% participation daily!

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #26
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

#1 and #2 are good ideas.

#3 less so, because Diamond Dynasty-type modes don't work well in text sims.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
JimboGM
Minors (Single A)

My OOTP time is almost exclusively devoted to one online league, and therefore, I am 100% in favor of option 2. It would greatly enhance the online league experience.

http://happybandits.com/ootp/online_leagues/sbc_main/- Geelong Cats

http://statsplus.net/cba/- Detroit Motors
JimboGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #28
tylerdarrin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

There has only been one league I have been apart of (currently still in it). With that being said, option 2 would be great.
tylerdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Sounds awesome!

:d

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #30
Izz
Hall Of Famer

While none of those options appeal to me personally (especially not option 3!) I am of the opinion online play needs more developmental love as i think a strong online mode will really increase the customer base. So, option 2 i guess, if i had to choose one of these (with the caveat that online play in general gets some love in OOTP 18)

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #31
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

as far as H2H online league, couldn't you use a system of exporting/importing game results up to a week in advance of the games being played? Maybe something based on the 7-day lineup screen, The system pulls lineups from the 7 day screen games are played and when both teams export with the results the commish imports the game results during his sim based on the game date of the file in question. It would seem that all is needed is an individual file that can be exported and/or imported for each game on it's specific date.

I was in a league many years ago using DMB where the teams could play H2H using a desktop sharing software and teams could play any game scheduled for the week to be simulated and they sent the result files to the comish who then imported the files, simmed an entire week, then posted new files.

I'm not sure if I would use any system for online leagues that would basically slow the pace of the league to "Real Time" or even slower. If you could set it up to get a weeks worth of games per sim played out, then leagues that ran every other day would be able to maintain the same rate of play. and any games that don't have result files are simulated by the CPU/AI as is the norm for online leagues. Anyway as interesting as H2H play is, it is not a deal breaker for me and as I mentioned, I would not use it if the league play pace slowed to a crawl
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #32
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
as far as H2H online league, couldn't you use a system of exporting/importing game results up to a week in advance of the games being played? Maybe something based on the 7-day lineup screen, The system pulls lineups from the 7 day screen games are played and when both teams export with the results the commish imports the game results during his sim based on the game date of the file in question. It would seem that all is needed is an individual file that can be exported and/or imported for each game on it's specific date.

I was in a league many years ago using DMB where the teams could play H2H using a desktop sharing software and teams could play any game scheduled for the week to be simulated and they sent the result files to the comish who then imported the files, simmed an entire week, then posted new files.

I'm not sure if I would use any system for online leagues that would basically slow the pace of the league to "Real Time" or even slower. If you could set it up to get a weeks worth of games per sim played out, then leagues that ran every other day would be able to maintain the same rate of play. and any games that don't have result files are simulated by the CPU/AI as is the norm for online leagues. Anyway as interesting as H2H play is, it is not a deal breaker for me and as I mentioned, I would not use it if the league play pace slowed to a crawl
pace of play is a concern. I can't imagine having interest in a league that played one game per day. There would have to be a way to play multiple games during one day. Even if there was only a way to do one game at a time, I'd still use it but probably for just playoffs.

I would also imagine that there would be more technical stuff that the commish would have to know. They already don't do a great job at helping online commish's, because you're kind of expected to have a great knowledge of web design. So to do this, would require a little bit more help.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #33
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

#1 Is good for tournaments
#2 Is good because online league GMs can actually see a game progress every once in a while
#3 Is the only one I disagree on. Adding an Ultimate Team w/o actually controlling players would not get a lot of support.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #34
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

What you guys should think about is bringing back ITP as a DLC.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #35
Trebro
All Star Reserve

I would hate to see OOTP go down the pay to play reoad with 3. Biggest draw for me is the one and done cost.

I think people are underrating potential popularity of casual vs friends play. #1 would be fun and encourage gift purchases.

Long term, number two is a game changer. I think it could triple online play, even with time delay.

I would use one to work out kinks to create two and stay away from three.

Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #36
thompsw8
All Star Reserve

Being a big online guy running some leagues I really like option 2. This would not be something you could do every day but like the last day of the regular season with important games, game 7 of a playoff series, or maybe like the world series. This would be an awesome option. It would definitely not be something you could every day but for important games it would be nice.
thompsw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:28 AM   #37
kq76
Global Moderator

#1 I think should be in the game even though I personally probably wouldn't ever use it. It just seems like something that should be fairly easily doable that a fair number of people would try out, like the historical exhibition feature from OOTP17.

#2 I think is a waste of time and that's coming from a proponent of usually anything that adds to online leagues. Yeah, I know there are online leaguers who have asked for this, but I seriously doubt it would be used much and as another member in the league it'd be hard not to question whether it was fair or not (was one opponent clearly superior to the other when it comes to game managing? were both opponents really giving it their best or was rolling over for the other?). I know I wouldn't be interested in joining a league that used that feature for non-exhibition games. Exhibition games on the other hand? Sure, why not. It could simply be an extension of #1 though.

#3 I'm intrigued by and I'd love to try (I've never tried the ones from the games you've mentioned, but I'd definitely be interested in at least trying it with OOTP), but I can't help but worry that it'd be a colossal waste of resources. It certainly wouldn't come even close to making my wishlist. It might be a huge hit though. I don't know.

I say try #1 first and then see where that leads you.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #38
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
as far as H2H online league, couldn't you use a system of exporting/importing game results up to a week in advance of the games being played?
No, this is technically impossible. In OOTP there is way too much going on between days, this cannot be faked and then applied to the current league status of the two users.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #39
chickennoodle77
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Play head-to-head games in an online league
Positive: Good immersion, games mean something
Negative: Only the first game for a sim period (i.e. 7 days) would be playable, so commishes would have to sim & post league files day-by-day if users want to play out every game. Timing issue (in real life I even have problems meeting friends for a coffee, how likely is it that users in online leagues find the right time to meet and play?)
Not sure how this might work with game engine and data sharing, but if online leagues are watching games broadcast live now (read that on thread somewhere) might it be possible to have a league establish a daily sim date/time and participants could log in to manage their respective teams? Users would know when they needed to be present and could participate as each days games occurred. If someone was not able to attend, the AI could handle managing their team. Could establish time limits per game to ensure things move along within the dedicated window. Might also allow opportunities for increased league dialogue through potential chat windows during the live sim.

Just a thought...
chickennoodle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Live Play by Play?