Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
duckyzero
Bat Boy

Cursor issues/black screen of death (Fedora 27)

Good afternoon,

First off I want to say I love this game.

That being said, I'm having a hell of a time run this on a Linux box (Fedora 27).

My laptop is a Lenovo G50-70 (this used to be a Windows machine and the game ran flawlessly, the move to Linux has now become an issue.)

So there are several issues and I can re-create them all.

Starting the game up initially has me in Windows mode. In this mode with the default settings the mouse seems like it is not calibrated correctly and my selection is actually about an inch above where my mouse cursor actually is. This really makes things like hitting the '+' to warm up an RP difficult. If I change the resolution or go full-screen it fixes my mouse issues so no big deal there.

The problem with changing my resolution is that once I go manager mode and into an actual game the entire field is black and I can only see the GUI options. I can reliably recreate this by closing my game, opening it, starting a game and have the field/stadium there with my mouse all jacked up or fix the mouse issue and not have the field/stadium present during the game.

My current OpenGL options have Fastblit enabled but I've tried them all and it seems the resolution change is the culprit.

My game preference also don't seem to be saving. I change my resolution and window mode, press okay, close the game, and they don't persist.

So my question is:

Do you guys know of a workaround for this? Or is there a config file I can change to force my resolution settings and test to see if it starts up correctly from the get go if I can avoid the cursor AND black screen of death problem? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry if the screenshots are not that helpful, I can see my cursor is not showing but if you look at the bullpen box and the highlighted pitchout box I can assure you my cursor was located about an inch under the actual buttons.

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/lyesSpt

Last edited by duckyzero; 10-24-2018 at 04:24 PM.
duckyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

My initial thought based on your description is that this is likely a video card related issue.

So the first thing to try is to make sure the video card drivers are fully up to date.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know and we'll go from there.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
duckyzero
Bat Boy

Hi Lukas,

I actually thought that as well and ran a "$ dnf upgrade" and just upgraded every possible package on my machine to no avail. As far as I can tell I have the latest drivers for my Intel HD 4400, but I am sort of new to Linux so if there is anything specific you want me to check just let me know.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
duckyzero
Bat Boy

Just an update, I went into the app.cfg file and changed the fullscreen option to a 1. This doesn't seem to have done anything though, my game still launches in windowed mode despite the debug log stating that full screen is on. The issues persist and I don't see a blatant error in the debug log that I'm able to identify anyway.

EDIT:

Apparently if I launch the game without making any resolution changes I get SHADER_DB successful compilations.

Changing resolution reults in SHADER_DB failures in debug mode. Not sure if this is the issue.. See attached..
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp_trace (copy).txt (155.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: txt ootp_trace.txt (155.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by duckyzero; 10-25-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Is this a Steam copy or a copy of the standalone game?

If it's Steam, try to uncheck the Steam overlay. Go to the Steam menu then to settings > in-game > and untick the 'enable the steam overlay while in game' checkbox.

On either Steam or standalone, another thing to try in regard to the black screen would be to go to the 3d and facegen screen on the settings tab and then set the audience detail to simplified, and/or lower the audience quality.

Also, when you get the black screen, will it go away and show you the graphics again if you just click on pitch (or whatever option there is to move to the next batter, or does it persist?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
duckyzero
Bat Boy

This is a steam copy.

Despite changing those settings I still have the same symptoms. If I start the game and don't change my resolution the background is fine. If I change the resolution the background is black. Selecting a pitch or swing option doesn't bring it back or show the ball or any movement of the players.

I would be willing to buy a stand-alone copy if you thought steam may be the culprit.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #7
duckyzero
Bat Boy

BUMP

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Can you send me a PM or email with a screenshot of your Steam order, if you have it?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
duckyzero
Bat Boy

Lukas,

I forwarded it to you in an email.