Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
82BrewCrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Leery of Steam...

I'm not a big fan of Steam. I'm an old guy and I like stuff to come directly from the developer, or better yet, a CD. That being said, I'll go through Steam if I have to for this... Question is, I thought I read where I can download it through E-scension or something like that. Does this mean I won't have to go through Steam?

And excuse my denseness if I'm asking a stupid question.
82BrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
82BrewCrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

By the way, I'm the guy on Facebook telling everyone this game has cross era capability.... which makes this game HUGE!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82BrewCrew View Post
I'm not a big fan of Steam. I'm an old guy and I like stuff to come directly from the developer, or better yet, a CD. That being said, I'll go through Steam if I have to for this... Question is, I thought I read where I can download it through E-scension or something like that. Does this mean I won't have to go through Steam?

You can buy directly from the link here. No Steam. You'll pay through the third party but get a key you enter after downloading and installing the game from OOTP.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

Steam is an option you can use. Right now Steam, Windows 10, and I are not happy with one another.

On the other hand Steam can be a great way to play your game across multiple platforms as long as you are willing to do it by Steams rules. ( And Windows 10 dosent kill your computer. )

Personally, Steam is another tool to spread the awesomeness of awesome sauce that is OOTP. A way to advertise the game to others who might not know about it.

I buy straight from Marcus, and will until I dont have that option anymore.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
ChromEagle
Minors (Triple A)

I would have never even known that this game even existed if it wasn't for Steam. I trust Steam more because I'm afraid I'm going to get a virus or something if I buy it from another random site
ChromEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
82BrewCrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Love all the quick responses... Thanks, I am at ease now
Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Steam works great. It won't mess up your system and you never have to worry about CD's or keys or copy protection. And you can play any of your games anywhere on any computer that supports it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely love steam. So easy to install/uninstall games that I never miss the old CD. However, as others have pointed out no need to use it for OOTP. Just buy the game from the website here and you're good to go. I always buy OOTP from the website here anyway as it's my understanding they see a few more of my bucks that way.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #9
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82BrewCrew View Post

I'm 62 and been loving steam for years.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04 AM   #10
Kent814
All Star Reserve

Not to sound pretentious but i think you meant to say Leery of Steam not Leary
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:36 AM   #11
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

I love Steam and use it for almost everything but I still prefer to play OOTP via direct download, mostly because I don't want people to see the hours I am putting in with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent814 View Post
Not to sound pretentious but i think you meant to say Leery of Steam not Leary

Also I think both spellings are correct, leary is an accepted alternative spelling.

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-15-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #12
kq76
Global Moderator

Another key reason NOT to use Steam (besides OOTP getting more money if you buy through them) is that through OOTP you get patches quicker. With Steam you might have to wait a few days.

I used to avoid Steam as much as possible, but since you can usually get good deals with them and it's convenient seeing every game you have with them, I've given in. But for something like OOTP where I'm more concerned about patches and I feel like I'm closer to the devs and would rather them get more of my money, I'd rather go straight through them.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 AM   #13
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

I always buy OOTP direct from here but activate the game through Steam when the key becomes available. Best of both worlds (devs get more money from direct purchase, and I get the convenience of using Steam)
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have never used Steam and no real need for it. Went to the site once just to check it out due to hype in these forums. Used to get CDs in the beginning (Season Ticket and a couple years of OOTP)
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #15
tward13
All Star Starter

I've not had good experiences with Steam, wasted money and will avoid them whenever possible.

I get OOTP as a download.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I had to read the dates on this thread. When I first clicked into it I thought I had accidently went back to 2009
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #17
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

I was an old guy skeptical of Steam and I've made it work fine. The biggest reason I love Steam is that I don't need to keep track of license keys and downloads and stuff, Steam does it for me. If I get a new computer I just log in with Steam and reinstall all my stuff.

One thing to watch out for with 10 and Steam is that OOTP will want to be installed on the C: drive.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromEagle View Post
I trust Steam
+1

Just like OOTP developments has earned my trust Steam has also earned my trust.

I have not had a single negative experience in 4 years on Steam.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Steam works great. It won't mess up your system and you never have to worry about CD's or keys or copy protection. And you can play any of your games anywhere on any computer that supports it.
Not to mention access to a huge library of deeply discounted games for those who are patient or budget-conscious.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #20
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Another key reason NOT to use Steam (besides OOTP getting more money if you buy through them) is that through OOTP you get patches quicker. With Steam you might have to wait a few days.

I used to avoid Steam as much as possible, but since you can usually get good deals with them and it's convenient seeing every game you have with them, I've given in. But for something like OOTP where I'm more concerned about patches and I feel like I'm closer to the devs and would rather them get more of my money, I'd rather go straight through them.
Although, I love Steam and have had a great experience I still buy OOTP directly from OOTP Developments. It's the least I could do.