Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #141
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Gerhard Zech's 22th fight.... 1962-10-06, Cologne, Germany

Federico Friso - 1 Overall Rating
Nationality- Italy
b. 1930-03-10
d.
Career, 1955-64
BoxRec. 036868
Record 23 wins / 28 losses / 7 draws / 15 KO

I did quite a bit of play testing of Friso before fighting this bout. The trick with was his record of only 1 time he was stopped in a fight. I had a heck of a time trying to replicate that very low number of stoppages and still get an overall record to come out. I'd like to thank Rasmuth for his help on this on some suggestions he made that got me a lot closer to where they needed to be. Overall I was pretty happy with the final results of play testing, but, I feel there's still some room for improvement, but I'd use him as is with a feeling you'll get pretty satisfactory results.

Friso fought twice for the Italian HW Title in 1957 against an Uber Bacilieri. They fought to a 12 round draw the 1st fight and then Friso lost a 12 round decision in the next. Up to his fights with Bacilieri, he'd compiled a 13-1-1(9KO) record. The 1 loss was an 8 round decision loss to Jose Gonzales Sales. Friso lost 2 other fights with Sales, one with Franco Cavicchi and one to Ulli Ritter in 1959. In June 1960 he Ko'd Bruno Scarabellin to win the Italian HW Title. He lost it the next year to Rocco (gotta rate this guy!) Mazzola in a 12 round decision and then later a rematch with Mazzola went 12 again.

That's really Friso's story. He was stopped only 1 time in his career, that in 1959 to a Dave Rent. He lost other decisions to Johnny Prescott, Mariano Echevarria, Karl Mildenberger, two to Gerhard Zech and also to Albert Westphal. None of his wins came against anybody to talk about.

Control vs Boxer--8
Control vs Slugger--8
Hitting power--5
Chin vs knockdown--1
Chin vs knockout--0
Recovery--2
Cuts--1
Absorb punishment--1
Killer instinct--5
Aggressiveness--5
Endurance--10
Defense--4
Fast starter--3
Fight on ropes--3

Draw power--2
Conditioning--5
Intellect--4
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--2
Outside--2
Cover up--2
Go for KO--2
Clinching--62

Style-- Boxer
Fouls--Occasionally

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 17.25 4.00
Hooks 19.75 3.50
Crosses 15.50 2.50
Combinations 18.00 1.75
Uppercuts 15.50 2.25

Punching--22
Counterpunching--22
Missed--69

Friso was at the tail end of his career when he fought Zech. His last career fight in fact was his 2nd with Zech. So, I placed Friso at his Post Prime stage. This first fight between the two in Cologne, Germany in 1962 was an 8 round scheduled affair. In the real thing, Friso as was his nature took his opponent for the full length going 8 rounds, but as was a lot of the time, he couldn't gain any advantage over Zech apparently and it ended up a Decision win for Zech.
In my replay, pretty much the same thing. The first 3 rounds were pretty quiet with both fighters just sparring around most of the time very defensively. Finally in the 4th, Zech started taking the fight under his control outpointing Friso in the 4th and 5th. In the 6th, Zech took Friso down with a big sweeping overhand punch. Friso went down on his one knee for a short 2 count. It was the only time either fighter put one another to the canvas. It ended up a UD for Zech 78-73, 77-74, 78-73.

So, Gerhard ups his record to 21-1-0 (13KO). His next fight will be in Dortmund, Germany again against an American named Tommy Fields who sported a 10-8-2 record at the time. Fields was 17-16-3(10KO's) for his career.

So, we'll see you next in Dortmund for a scheduled 10 rounder between Gerhard Zech (21-1-0) vs Tommy Fields (10-8-2).

Be There!
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #142
jrmorgan56
Major Leagues

CornerWork wuz here

(got the latest fighters from this thread)
Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #143
Heavyweight
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I watched some highlights of Gerhard Zech vs Sonny Liston and here are my thoughts.

Zech had decent handspeed and hit Liston with some good punches. He also took some decent Liston bombs. Zech liked to throw the straight left from the southpaw stance. The announcer said that Liston was leading in the seventh round but having all kinds of trouble with Zech's awkward style. Liston landed a right-left combo that would have knocked out pretty much anyone except superchins and it knocked Zech down. Zech got up and appeared to be able to continue, but the overcautious referee stopped the fight. I was impressed by Zech in the 5 minute highlight I watched. Zech appeared to be able to fight off the ropes pretty well also.
Heavyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:15 PM   #144
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Heavyweight,

Thanks much for that little insite into Zech. I enjoyed you sharing that.

Rocco
Old 01-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #145
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Gerhard Zech's 23rd fight.... 1962-11-17, Dortmund, Germany

Tommy Fields - 2 Overall Rating
Nationality- United States
b.
d.
Career, 1955-70
BoxRec. 018152
Record 17 wins / 16 losses / 3 draws / 10 KO

Tommy was only 6-4-2 starting his career against the usual low echelon of the HW boxing community. In 1957 he got his first tests against Buddy Turman(22-3-0) and Bob Butcher(17-0-0). He was TKO'd in 8 by Turman, won a 10 round TKO in his first fight with Butcher and then 2 months later drew with Butcher in a 10 round rematch. Over the next 6 years he managed wins over Ray Shiel, Sante Amonti, Franco Cavicchi, and Plinio Scarabellin(28-4-0) and a 10 round draw with Gerhard Zech. He lost fights to YOung Jack Johnson(17-13-1), Piero Tomasoni(14-1-2) and Chic Calderwood(33-3-1).

Fields finished only 1-6-0 which included losses to Cleveland Williams, Mariano Echevarria and Mac Foster. His last win was in November 1968, a 10th round TKO of James J. Beattie(31-5-1).

Control vs Boxer--7
Control vs Slugger--6
Hitting power--4
Chin vs knockdown--3
Chin vs knockout--2
Recovery--3
Cuts--3
Absorb punishment--3
Killer instinct--5
Aggressiveness--6
Endurance--7
Defense--2
Fast starter--2
Fight on ropes--2

Draw power--2
Conditioning--4
Intellect--4
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--3
Outside--2
Cover up--1
Go for KO--1
Clinching--69

Style-- Slugger
Fouls--Seldom

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 13.25 4.50
Hooks 16.75 1.00
Crosses 23.00 3.00
Combinations 18.75 2.50
Uppercuts 16.00 1.25

Punching--34
Counterpunching--34
Missed--65

Fields was pretty much in the prime of his career, 7 years actually since his first fight when he fought Zech. Gerhard is close to reaching the peak of his career. This was going to be one of the first real tests for Fields in his career with his previous big opponent being Young Jack Johnson almost 2 years previous.

This was a scheduled 10 round fight. In the real thing, these two battled it out for the full 10 with it ending in a draw.
In the replay, Zech pretty much controlled the action taking advantage in the first 3 rounds. Fields managed to stage a bit of a comeback in the 4th, but Zech won the 5th and 6th rounds and then in the 7th, about a minute into the round a combination of blows to the head sent Fields down for a short 2 count. Zech kept up the pressure with Fields getting out of the round. Then in the 8th Zech came out fast off the stool and quickly nails Fields sending him to the canvas for the 10 count and an 8th round KO victory for Zech.

Zech is now building up an impressive record that's leading him to a shot at the German HW Title against Albert Westphal.
In his way yet of that title shot is fellow countryman Ulli Nitzschke who is nearing the end of his career, Sherman Adams and current French HW Title holder Robert Duquesne. Adams is nothing much to look at but, Nitzschke and Duquesne have interesting records to look at that should make them another couple of European HW's for your 60's era collection.

So...be with us next in Berlin, Germany on January 26th, 1963 when Gerhard goes up against Ulli Nitzschke(23-5-1).
Old 01-20-2004, 02:05 AM   #146
djday45
All Star Starter

Rocco,
just a quite hello to say just how much I am enjoying Zech's career replay. I am really enjoying learning about some new fighters and you can never have enough european guys in the game.

thks very much

rgds
Dean
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #147
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Dean!

Glad your enjoying it.

Rocco
Old 01-21-2004, 11:26 AM   #148
jrmorgan56
Major Leagues

CornerWork wuz here...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #149
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Gerhard Zech's 24th fight.... 1963-01-26, Berlin, Germany

Ulli Nitzschke - 3 Overall Rating
Nationality- Germany
b. 1933-07-25
d.
Career, 1958-63
BoxRec. 028315
Record 23 wins / 6 losses / 1 draws / 15 KO

Ulli's career was pretty short actually. It started 16-1 with 12K's. He fought in that stretch Bobby Warmbrunn, Andre Wyns, Al Kramp, Jacques STrocchio, Hans Friedrich(31-23-6), Jose Gonzales Sales, Robert Duquesne(French Champion), Kitione Lave and even Olympic champion Pete Rademacher. It turned out, the Rademacher fight was his 1 defeat in that stretch as Pete KO'd Ulli in the 7th!

It was 7-5-1 the rest of the way. He lost 3 successive fights, to Albert Westphal, Frankie Daniels(34-21-4) and Wim Snoek. He then won 7 straight fights including against Franco Cavicchi, Rene Goubelle, Leon Labaj, Ulli Ritter, and Frankie Daniels.
After an 8 round draw with Mariano Echevarria he lost the last 2 fights of his career to Archie McBride and Gerhard Zech.
He started out fast and then sort of flamed out quick in the last year.

I simmed him with 2 sets of fights. 1 set against 12 fighters set up in the game already that he fought and 18 against other 1-3 rated fighters. In the end he was averaging about 21 wins, 8 losses, 1 draw with 12KO's and about 2.5 times he's stopped. In real life Ulli was stopped only 3 times in his career, so I'm pleased with the results. All the sim replays were pretty consitant also. Not a lot of spread with W's, L's etc.

Control vs Boxer--7
Control vs Slugger--6
Hitting power--6
Chin vs knockdown--2
Chin vs knockout--1
Recovery--3
Cuts--2
Absorb punishment--2
Killer instinct--5
Aggressiveness--6
Endurance--6
Defense--2
Fast starter--3
Fight on ropes--3

Draw power--2
Conditioning--3
Intellect--3
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--1
Outside--3
Cover up--1
Go for KO--2
Clinching--69

Style-- Slugger
Fouls--Occassionally

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 19.75 3.25
Hooks 21.0 4.0
Crosses 15.75 2.75
Combinations 18.75 2.50
Uppercuts 16.00 1.25

Punching--34
Counterpunching--34
Missed--65
Old 01-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #150
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Man I hate it when I hit that $%@$ reply button by mistake.

I'd not finished typing in Ulli's ratings. I was working on the punches when I flubbed. So here's the whole complete correct set again, along with the results of my replay! Sorry about that guys!

Control vs Boxer--7
Control vs Slugger--6
Hitting power--6
Chin vs knockdown--2
Chin vs knockout--1
Recovery--3
Cuts--2
Absorb punishment--2
Killer instinct--5
Aggressiveness--6
Endurance--6
Defense--2
Fast starter--3
Fight on ropes--3

Draw power--2
Conditioning--3
Intellect--3
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--1
Outside--3
Cover up--1
Go for KO--2
Clinching--69

Style-- Slugger
Fouls--Occassionally

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 19.75 3.25
Hooks 21.0 4.0
Crosses 15.75 2.75
Combinations 11.50 1.50
Uppercuts 16.00 4.50

Punching--36
Counterpunching--34
Missed--63

Now for the replay!

I Scheduled this as an 8 round fight. In real life Zech won a TKO in the 7th. Being Ulli's previous 2 fights were 8 rounders and Ulli not lasting long in many of his fights I figured 8 was probably what it was scheduled at back in 63. I set Ulli at the "End" of his career since it was the last fight of his career even though only his 30th fight.
In the refight here, Zech came out and controlled the action quickly in the 1st round winning it easily with the help of a 3 count knockdown of Ulli. Rounds 3 and 4 went to Zech also, though Ulli held his own better. In round 4 about mid way through Zech suddenly came in with a big uppercut catching Ulli in the ribcage to send him to the canvas. Ulli does manage to get up in 8 but the end is near as he's taking a beating and developing cuts and swelling around the eyes. In the 5th, Zech keeps pounding at the head when finally the referee stops the fight at the 1:53 mark giving Zech a 5th round TKO!

So, Gerhard Zech is now 23-1 and is calling for a chance to fight the other top ranked German HW at the time Albert Westphal for a chance to fill the German HW Crown. Gerhard will have two more "warm up" fights to stage him to move into the high time of heavyweight boxing in Germany and Europe. First he'll spar a bit with a young American from Atlanta, Georgia, Sherman Adams who's coming to Europe with hopes of getting his career jump started maybe after a terrible 1-4 start in the States. Then Gerhard will go up against aging French HW Champion Robert Duquesne and if he can successfuly fight his way through Duquesne, maybe we'll see that matchup with Westphal.

So well see you next time in Dortmund Germany again on March 30th, 1963 for Gerhard Zech 23-1-0 vs Sherman Adams 1-4-0.

See ya there!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #151
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Gerhard Zech's 25th fight.... 1963-03-30, Dortmund, Germany

Sherman Adams - 1 Overall Rating
Nationality- United States
b. 1937-08-22
d. 1985-05-09
Career, 1958-63
BoxRec. 028316
Record 1 wins / 5 losses / 0 draws / 0 KO

Sherman won his first fight, a 4 round decision over another fighter going into his first bout. Sherman then lost 4 consecutive decisions. First a couple 4 round affairs and then 2 6 round fights. After that Adams layed off out of the ring for 2 years. Then in 1963 he travels to Germany to get back into the ring against Gerhard.

As I got Sherman rated, in 100 bout sets against 1 rated fighters currently in the game he'll win 9-12 fights, loose 75-85 and put together a few draws. In the sets I ran he'd managed anywhere from 0 to 2 KO's which I thought was ok for that many fights. He'd be stopped 15-19 times on average for the 100 bouts. Considering he'd fighting against guys better then what he faced other then Zech, I think he's rated pretty good. Would you ever want to fight him?

Control vs Boxer--4
Control vs Slugger--4
Hitting power--0
Chin vs knockdown--4
Chin vs knockout--4
Recovery--4
Cuts--2
Absorb punishment--3
Killer instinct--2
Aggressiveness--3
Endurance--5
Defense--4
Fast starter--3
Fight on ropes--3

Draw power--1
Conditioning--3
Intellect--2
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--1
Outside--2
Cover up--1
Go for KO--0
Clinching--70

Style-- Boxer
Fouls--Seldom

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 23.00 0
Hooks 14.50 0
Crosses 14.50 0
Combinations 20.25 0
Uppercuts 27.75 0

Punching--28
Counterpunching--28
Missed--66

In the real thing in 63, Zech probably didn't even work up a sweat as he TKO'd Adams in the first round. The results of my replay though, have got me really thinking that there's no way Zech's going to match up against his latter opponents. Gerhard did manage to KO Adams, but, it took him to the 0:54 mark in the 6th round to do it!!

Zech managed to drop Adams for a brief 1 count right at the end of the 1st round, but after that, Adams danced around Zech and Gerhard just didn't show me the drive to put Adams away. Mark or someone mentioned Zech's KI may need bumped up a bit? Maybe. Well, ready or not Zech's got one more tune up fight to go before facing off with Albert Westphal......

Next up in Munich, Germany on June 27th, 1963 Gerhard goes up against French Heavyweight Champ Robert Duquesne whose 28-14-2 with 18KO's in his career up to the Zech fight. It will in actuality turn out to be Duquesne's next to last career fight.....

So join us in Munich.....!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #152
jabbo
Minors (Single A)

Part of the problem may be that the game is not set up to accommodate a fighter as bad as Adams. If you start bumping up Zech's ratings to get better results against an Adams, you will probably skew his performance against better fighters.

{Warning: Obscure historical reference ahead!}

Did Adams wear a vicuna coat into the ring in your replay?

Bob
jabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #153
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Hey Bob

Good point possibly. I'm going to finish Zech out with how he is and see what happens.

and OK you got me wondering. What's a vicuna coat got to do with Adams. Hope I'm not showing my ignorance to much with something here.

Rocco
Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #154
jrmorgan56
Major Leagues

CornerWork wuz here...

Great work Rocco!! I love this thread...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:22 AM   #155
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Jr, glad your enjoying it! I'm having a blast doing it

Rocco
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #156
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Rocco,

You are not showing your ignorance. That was a truly obscure historical reference. There was a minor political scandal in the 1950s which centered around a fellow named Sherman Adams, a vicuna coat, and Richard Nixon. I'll let Bob fill in the details, because I don't remember them. I do remember that Nixon escaped the damage by making his "Checkers" speech, which talked about his dog, political favors, and claimed his wife wore "Republican cloth coats" instead of vicuna coats. The details are all in a book Nixon wrote a long time ago called "Six Crises". My memory is pretty foggy on the rest, so maybe Bob will correct me on anything I got wrong.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #157
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Thanks swampdragon for the bit of political trivia. I remember about Nixon's Checkers speach to some degree but the Sherman Adams character is new to me.

Rocco
Old 01-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #158
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Ok, If you had never seen a picture of him before, now you can see our man Gerhard!

Rocco
Old 01-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #159
vistaman44
Hall Of Famer

Wow! Icons of heavyweight "greats" Lem Franklin, Ron Stander and Gerhard Zech displayed in the same forum. Oh, yeah, and some guys named Marciano and Tunney, too!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters, compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, philosopher and poet (1803-1882)

-----------------------------------
Currently operating 1970s SM-HW, 1940s, African, 1980s LW and women's boxing universes
vistaman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #160
jabbo
Minors (Single A)

I'm now way off topic, but since I started it...
Swampdragon had it right...Sherman Adams was a former New Hampshire governor who was Eisenhower's chief of staff, wielding a great deal of power in the White House due to Ike's military-style chain of command approach. He accepted some gratuities, including a vicuna coat, and was forced from office.

When Nixon was accused of setting up a political slush fund, Ike left him hanging out there, saying he'd let the public decide whether he should retain him as a running mate. Nixon went on TV with an appeal to the public, with his now-famous Checkers speech, in which he said his wife wore a "simple Republican cloth coat" and gave in painstaking detail his financial condition. He said he had accepted one gift -- a puppy, which his daughters named Checkers..."and we're gonna keep it."

Public reaction was overhwelmingly positive, Nixon stayed on the ticket, and the rest is history.

Bob

I hereby pledge to stick to boxing for a suitable amount of time.
jabbo is offline   Reply With Quote