Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Random Debut Historical League

In a random debut historical league I have two questions:

1. Game Settings - AI Settings - Player Evaluation AI Settings
My weights are 30/50/15/5
Are these OK? They are the default.

2. When importing a historical player i.e. from Sprtize's DB, should I use Real or Neutralized Stats and Remaining Peak Seasons or Career Totals during the import process?

I know everyone has their own opinion, but right now my mind is confused!
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
In a random debut historical league I have two questions:

1. Game Settings - AI Settings - Player Evaluation AI Settings
My weights are 30/50/15/5
Are these OK? They are the default.

2. When importing a historical player i.e. from Sprtize's DB, should I use Real or Neutralized Stats and Remaining Peak Seasons or Career Totals during the import process?

I know everyone has their own opinion, but right now my mind is confused!
1. I personally use 10/60/20/10 for my Player Evaluation AI Settings but you should use whatever you're comfortable with.

2. Use either Real or Neutralized, but I would make sure you synch it up with what you use in your game for all the players that come into the draft at Game Settings > League Settings > Historical > Historical Player Ratings for consistency's sake. I suggest neither Remaining Peak Seasons, nor Career Totals, but Remaining Years of Career.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Hey ACTION, why only 10% for Ratings Weight. I just want to know your thought process please. You seem to be on top of Historical replays!!

I finished the first year of a random replay starting in 1961 that I am posting on the Dynasty section. Also, I am using the actual year of the replay in the "Historical Progressing Settings." I am not using a specific year. I know you chose 1984, I believe. Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey ACTION, why only 10% for Ratings Weight. I just want to know your thought process please. You seem to be on top of Historical replays!!

I finished the first year of a random replay starting in 1961 that I am posting on the Dynasty section. Also, I am using the actual year of the replay in the "Historical Progressing Settings." I am not using a specific year. I know you chose 1984, I believe. Thoughts?
I'm not sure why. I know I've changed it often, and this is what I use currently. At one time I think I was using 25/25/25/25 per someone else's suggestion. I'm kind of malleable that way. Since I don't take over a team (more of a commissioner/official historian guy), it doesn't matter as much. I think my feeling was that I wanted stats to count for a lot, but not 100%. This puts them at a weight that is equivalent to stats from two years ago, which seemed about right to me at the time I decided on it.

I allow the historical progressing settings to progress as they would from 1901 to whenever (or whatever my start year is to whenever), with the exception of League Totals (and their modifiers), and Strategy Settings. I set both of those to 1984, and uncheck the "auto-adjust..." boxes that affect League Totals and Strategy Settings. It's harder to do this in OOTP18 without messing up your financials. OOTP16 is easy-peezy. I can hold my League Totals and Strategy Settings to 1984, and allow financials and league expansion etc etc etc to happen as it did IRL. For some reason doing this in OOTP18 drags the financials to 1984, which is not good if you're trying to play in 1901 for obvious reasons. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-05-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for response. I think I'll try those settings for the next season. I play with financials turned off, if that makes any difference.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for response. I think I'll try those settings for the next season. I play with financials turned off, if that makes any difference.
That makes a lot of difference. With them turned off, there's no screwing them up!

I use 1984 league totals because I find it's a happy medium between deadball (think 1908, 1968), and bazookaball (think 1930, 2000), both of which make action sad. The offensive output is just right for my taste. 40 HR really means something (only 88 players have hit 40 in a season in 63 seasons so far - that's pretty good). Also, in the mid-eighties there was no shortage of stolen bases, so you get lots of those. I hate seeing league leaders hit around 10 HR, almost as much as I hate seeing league leaders hit 60-70. So far, only one guy has hit above 53 HR in a season (Mickey Mantle, who I hear was pretty good), who hit 63 one year. He set tons of records that year, and it was special because it stood out from the crowd. When they become routine, it loses it's uniqueness.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

I'll see how things go in my 1962 season....I'm sure I'll continue to pick your brain.

U da man!!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Here are the Global Settings. After these I'll post the League Settings.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

mistake

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-06-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Why do you disable development of draft eligible players?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Why do you disable development of draft eligible players?
Good question, I don't know...I'll change it though!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Here are some of my League Settings. I think the "Automatically adjust League Strategy....." should be turned off?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here are some of my League Settings. I think the "Automatically adjust League Strategy....." should be turned off?

Depends on what you want. Do you want to freeze the strategy settings to a particular year or allow them to advance as you advance through the seasons? Leave it unchecked if you want to freeze it, and checked if you want the strategy settings to change throughout history.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #14
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

The select year function was going to be changed every year to stay at 1984?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Here are more settings, one more screen print and then thats it.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:54 AM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here are the Global Settings. After these I'll post the League Settings.

Personally I think you're aging is too low. Seems you would have many players playing well into their late 40's. i use .975 for both based on recommendations from Gambo or Deja Bru from 4-5 years ago.
Also not sure on this one but if you turn off player development for draft eligible should it be turned off for all players?
I always lower TCR to 50 but thats just a personal preference. You have injuries unchecked.
Never played with scouting off so no comment.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Some of my thoughts; just trying to get things tweaked before I start the next season.

1. I always thought there were too many injuries, so I turned if off, but I'm flexible.

2. I'm going to raise aging back up (probably .975) so players don't play forever.

3. I have turned off player development for draft eligible players, but I don't really know what effect it will have. I'm under the impression Historical Leagues should have player development off.

4. Talent Change Randomness is raised slightly so maybe some weaker players will shine; just to make things interesting.

5. I figure scouting should be off since it is a Historical League; but maybe I'm figuring wrong!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I always fool with the TCR usually set at 120 but have went as high as 150. The reason being that (if in my mind only) it will make player’s careers unpredictable so I will have to watch the leagues. Sometimes I watch players more closely if they are a real life average career player going well or real life superstar who is having a tough time. Saw something this morning for my 1914 draft, Mickey Mantle has come in as 18 year old 3B. I didn’t even know he played third. I had read that he was a SS but not a good one.

Last edited by JaBurns; 03-07-2018 at 05:00 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm currently using 200 TCR(ootp16). Thing is, since I don't manage or GM a team, I never ever pay attention to player ratings. So, I'm not completely sure of the effects 200 is having. One thing I will say, I've seen a little more of a rollercoaster ride for players past the recalc years. Justin Verlander would be a good example. He's been out of recalc for years now and has been all over the map performance wise. He will pitch like someone in need of retirement one season, then bounce back the following year with respectable numbers and even at times show sparks of his old greatness.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm currently using 200 TCR(ootp16). Thing is, since I don't manage or GM a team, I never ever pay attention to player ratings. So, I'm not completely sure of the effects 200 is having. One thing I will say, I've seen a little more of a rollercoaster ride for players past the recalc years. Justin Verlander would be a good example. He's been out of recalc for years now and has been all over the map performance wise. He will pitch like someone in need of retirement one season, then bounce back the following year with respectable numbers and even at times show sparks of his old greatness.
I'm so used to my EBL vs MLB league where I edit stats every season of over 1000 players that I want them to perform closely to their original stats. When i get to 2035 (now 2029) then my league will be more fictional.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote