Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Technical Support

FHM 4 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
jcrogie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Historical Gameplay (WCHL Rosters)

Hello!

Less of a bug and more of a realism dictated gameplay enhancement.

Playing through historical mode and I find that NHL draft picks (legends such as Frank Boucher, Tiny Thompson, & Cooney Weiland) all end up playing in the Western league as 18 year olds. As a result, the NHL team that drafts them often lets their rights lapse as the WCHL does not have an NHL release clause. It just kind of sucks you out of the experience.

I think the easiest fix for realism is as follows:
Any player drafted to the NHL has an NHL release clause that allows a contract signed with an NHL team to void a WCHL contract
Contract Max for NHL teams increased to 30-40 to allow teams to sign prospects and assign them to their minor league system
Allow interleague trading
Have the WCHL teams compete for free agents with the NHL franchises...ie: have the Seattle Metropolitans sign some players from the disbanded Montreal Wanderers

I love historical gameplay, it's what has always set FHM apart from competitors for me. I think there's a lot that can be done to tweak it, to get to the accurate historical replay of OOTP.
jcrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The NHL draft rights shouldn't be lapsing at that point in history, I'll have to see what's going on there.

Bear in mind the PCHA/WCHL were very competitive for players with the NHL - much more than the WHA was, for example. Boucher left Ottawa for Vancouver in 1922 and didn't return until the league folded, and there were a number of Hall of Fame-caliber guys that played entirely in those leagues, or only left for the NHL when they went under. It'd be much more unrealistic to have the NHL able to sign all players with active contracts in the western leagues. The WCHL does have a slight advantage in signing young players because it doesn't use a draft like the NHL does and gets a head start of a few days (we've moved the NHL draft a bit earlier to help with that), but they have a couple of small disadvantages in reputation and salary level that should offset that (but might need a little further adjustment.)

Edit: just thought of one thing I can do to balance it a little more, the western leagues' maximum contract length is much too long right now, I'll cut it down to a year or two and we should see more WCHL-to-NHL movement as those expire every year.

Last edited by JeffR; 10-04-2017 at 04:33 PM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
jcrogie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Edit: just thought of one thing I can do to balance it a little more, the western leagues' maximum contract length is much too long right now, I'll cut it down to a year or two and we should see more WCHL-to-NHL movement as those expire every year.
That's a great idea Jeff, I think that will probably have the desired result.

I can't give you guys kudos enough for how far it's come since the FHM1.
jcrogie is offline   Reply With Quote