Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
wiggins
All Star Reserve

Historical Rosters and gameplay

I started a historical season 1960, (my first time ever, I always play Fictional). Need less to say my database became corrupted and I had to quit. I am waiting for 10 before I begin again. Now my question... I want to play with the most accurate rosters possible for that 1960 season. I am 55 years old and that was the beginning of my own "Golden Era". I want to manage one team and play in commissioner mode. I want to be able to set the rosters for each team to be as close to real as possible. I want to be able to set the rosters, depth charts and lineups for each team and then let the computer manager roll. I have tried to do this in the past but all my changes somehow always revert. I act as commissioner set the rosters lineups etc. and the next day they all revert again back to the original setup. I make sure I am acting as the team before I make any changes. Also, The 60 Yankees kept trying to waive Elston Howard. I went in and set game strategy to force him to start, but he was waived two days later. Bobby Richardson kept getting sent to the minors even thought I had him set to start. I wish there was also an accept or decline for trades for all teams in commissioner mode. The computer were trades that were made that were horrible. Any ideas, or "it is what it is"?
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggans1 View Post
I started a historical season 1960, (my first time ever, I always play Fictional). Need less to say my database became corrupted and I had to quit. I am waiting for 10 before I begin again. Now my question... I want to play with the most accurate rosters possible for that 1960 season. I am 55 years old and that was the beginning of my own "Golden Era". I want to manage one team and play in commissioner mode. I want to be able to set the rosters for each team to be as close to real as possible. I want to be able to set the rosters, depth charts and lineups for each team and then let the computer manager roll. I have tried to do this in the past but all my changes somehow always revert. I act as commissioner set the rosters lineups etc. and the next day they all revert again back to the original setup. I make sure I am acting as the team before I make any changes. Also, The 60 Yankees kept trying to waive Elston Howard. I went in and set game strategy to force him to start, but he was waived two days later. Bobby Richardson kept getting sent to the minors even thought I had him set to start. I wish there was also an accept or decline for trades for all teams in commissioner mode. The computer were trades that were made that were horrible. Any ideas, or "it is what it is"?
You can set the game not to allow the AI to control roster moves or demotions/promotions or making lineups and rotations. On the setup screen you can set it up so all teams are under human control. Once you're done setting everything up, do not turn AI control back on for all the other teams because the AI will override your settings. Having them set up for you to control does not mean you have to manually play the games for all those teams, just that you're the only one who can makes roster moves, etc.

As far as trades, somewhere in the league setup area there is a way to turn off trading. I think in the rules area.

Last edited by StyxNCa; 05-19-2009 at 11:57 AM.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You need to manage every team, and not just be in Commish mode. That means making every team under human control.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
You need to manage every team, and not just be in Commish mode. That means making every team under human control.
That's the shorter, and easier to understand version, of my long winded response.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I tend to turn the trading down to low or very low because I don't like to see guys moving all over the place either.

I played a couple dynasties in the early 60s in OOTP 2007 and I noticed the AI had trouble figuring out the Berra/Howard/Blanchard situation of that era. I remember a 1961 season I played where Howard was hitting over .400 at the all-star break, but still splitting time with Blanchard. Tricky situation - very odd for one team to have three good starting catchers. This one might be 'it is what it is'.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
SteveP

You've gotten some good answers here. I'll just add a sort of philosophical comment. The 1960s are special to me as well, and I've played that era many times, experimenting with different settings, styles, etc. All quite interesting, but it can play tricks on your mind if you get real invested in the idea of seeing history somehow replay itself on your computer screen.

OOTP is alternative history, no matter how you cut it. Trying to make it stick to history (not trying to say that's what you are doing, just saying ...) is a whole lotta work, for a dubious reward. My recommendation: relish the chance to see these guys play and don't worry too much about the fact the the AI is doing things with these guys that the real owners/GMs/managers never did or would never do.

FWIW
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
wiggins
All Star Reserve

You may be right. I've been trying to wrap my mind around this, I'm afraid it will get too much like my fictional league if guys are moving all over the place. i want Elston on the Yankees, Frank Howard on the Dodgers... I might have to settle for the happy medium. I can't imagine running all the teams. I just wanted to possibly set it up initially and then let it go, but I would still want Elston on the Yankees not on waivers. Thanks for everybody's response.
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Quote:
You may be right. I've been trying to wrap my mind around this, I'm afraid it will get too much like my fictional league if guys are moving all over the place. i want Elston on the Yankees, Frank Howard on the Dodgers... I might have to settle for the happy medium. I can't imagine running all the teams. I just wanted to possibly set it up initially and then let it go, but I would still want Elston on the Yankees not on waivers. Thanks for everybody's response.
Just a thought here. Suppose you turn waivers and/or free agency "off" as a test run and see the result. Kind of addition by subtraction, but it just might give you the satisfactory solution you're looking for.
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobbler View Post
Just a thought here. Suppose you turn waivers and/or free agency "off" as a test run and see the result. Kind of addition by subtraction, but it just might give you the satisfactory solution you're looking for.
There's a thought too.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobbler View Post
Turning waivers off would only make it easier for a team to send a player to the minors. I'm thinking he wants the guys to stay in the majors and play where they did, at least at the beginning.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
SteveP

Quote:
Wrap your mind around the idea of Cepeda never getting a chance with the Giants because Bill White doesn't have military service in 1958. The fact is that actual history is the result of various accidents and events. At least once in one of my leagues, Elston ends up playing on my Giants team. Thought it was pretty cool, because really why not ...

I'm not saying it's easy but it's really your mind playing tricks on you ...
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I'm not saying it's easy but it's really your mind playing tricks on you ...

Two men were arguing about a flag flapping in the wind. "It's the wind that is really moving," stated the first one. "No, it is the flag that is moving," contended the second. A Zen master, who happened to be walking by, overheard the debate and interrupted them. "Neither the flag nor the wind is moving," he said, "It your mind that moves."
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote