Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Fictional Leagues - Newbie Questions

So I've been playing OOTP for a few weeks now, and I have mixed feelings. Overall, I really like the game, but as many on these forums (especially this one for New players!) have pointed out, it can get overwhelming and I do get scared off every once in awhile. I've played a few solo leagues (I haven't gotten past the first offseason of any, though) and am in a great Online league, so I'm definitely learning, but it feels like there's just too much going on.

I want to know what the experienced users here suggest I do. I want to start a fictional league with either 24 or 16 teams (I haven't done a 16 team league yet, so I think I want to toy around with that) with an inaugural draft. I know how to set up leagues relatively quickly, however the one problem I have is that I can't seem to change the DH settings without going into advanced mode (and that just scares me!) or comish mode after I create the league. Is this the only way to do it?

Also, how would you set up a league in my position? A small league for a newbie (I have lots of experience with baseball and have played OOTP's Mobile version for a few years). Would you have a DH at all? Would you have both leagues use a DH? How many Minors? I'm thinking just 3 levels right now, but should I do more or less since I'm starting out? How long should the schedule be? I want a shorter schedule, but one that makes sense (somewhere around 2/3rds of the 162 schedule would be nice). And what do you name your sub leagues (silly, but I hate Subleague 1 and 2!). If you could just be as detailed as you like, I would appreciate it. Or if you could just point me to a mod with a quickstart that's useful for newbies (not FBL, there's still too much going on in that start up for me. too many leagues and possibly teams).

Thanks!
mac2298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Don't let Commish mode "scare" you. It was put in the game for that purpose, so you can edit/customize your league. Use it.

As for your league layout, there's a 1000 ways to play and set up leagues. It comes down to personal preference. Should you use the DH or not? That's entirely up to you. Some like it, some don't. Same for minors, some like full fledged setup, some like to keep it simple.

Since you're still "learning", I would recommend a small league of maybe 12 teams, or the 16 you suggested. Think about what you want your league to be, how you want it to unfold and create history. Set things up the way you like to play, that way you'll keep your interest in the league a lot longer.

Don't do things simply because that's the way they are irl. That's the beauty of OOTP - customization. Create a world that you'd like to see, not one (real life) that you've already seen.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote