Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 11:05 PM   #81
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
After winning our first two exhibitions against divers pairs of Sox, we got crushed by the powerhouse that will be Jim Marshall's A's, Plenty of their young players chipped in, including the not-very-young Keith Lieppman (age 30 season), who had a double in 2 ABs.

Lieppman was drafted by the Dodgers in the 70th round in 1967, but wisely chose to attend the University of Kansas, where he was not only All-Conference in baseball, but played on the 1969 Big 8 football champion team that went to the Orange Bowl.

In 1971, he was Oakland's #2 pick in the January draft, and quickly rose to AAA…but of course no farther. 6 years one step away, and never got the call. To be fair, that career-best .799 at Tucson in 1974 was never going to move Sal Bando off of 3B (even after Bando went to Milwaukee). By 1979, he was about to start his final season at AAA Ogden.

But the end of Lieppman's playing career didn't mean the end of his life in baseball. Keith started coaching in Oakland's minor-league system and by 1982 he was a minor-league manager.

By 1986, he was the manager at AAA Tacoma, but when Jackie Moore was let go as the boss in Oakland, Keith was passed over as owner Roy Eisenhardt jumped on the chance to hire Tony LaRussa and his Magic Needles, who had been fired from ChiSox earlier that month. (Seriously, how is LaRussa in the Hall? And if you take him, why not trainer Barry "Needles" Weinberg, too?)

So Lieppman missed his chance to be a ML manager, and instead moved into the front office. After a few years as the A's Director of Instruction, he took over as Director of Player Personnel in 1992, and stayed in that post for almost 30 seasons. When he formally retired last year, he had been with the franchise for 52 years, and was inducted into the Athletics' Hall of Fame.

(Keith, second from the right, standing next to Sal Bando, Jr., as you could probably guess. How did it take this long for the franchise to induct Bando and Joe Rudi [left], anyhow?)

Last edited by Amazin69; 04-10-2024 at 12:45 AM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:38 PM   #82
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Is Mike Kingery's player ID correct?

Here's what BB-Ref uses: kinger001mic

I think his Facegen file uses: kinger001mik
His ID should be kinger001mic but if it is so old that it uses a naming convention that doesn't conform to BBR, it likely needs to be redone anyway. I'll do him after work this evening.

Just my Facegen Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi..._Pack.zip/file
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:23 PM   #83
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

The rookies FG for the 1961 season are completed... 102 players in total. As usual if someone isn't included it's because Lans did him already. I did a card for one player by team to give you an idea of the work looks (if a player smile it's in game, none of my FG have visible teeth)

Temporary link
Attached Images
Image Image 

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:26 PM   #84
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Mike Kingery

An incident in the summer of 1977 exemplifies the extent of the talent, skill, and leadership abilities that would eventually land Kingery in the major leagues. Curtis Eischens, the shortstop on the 1977 Willmar VFW team, teaches at Orono Middle School and remembers a game in Ely, Minnesota. In the first inning of the first game of a doubleheader, Kingery, singled. Seeing a chance to steal, Kingery took second. Kingery then sensed that the pitcher was not watching, so Kingery stole third. Then in a move that most people would look at as “in your face,” Kingery stole home. But, according to Eischens, Kingery was just doing his job. “Mike was just that good,” said Eischens.

After the game Eischens remembers the coach, Elsie Klemmetson, getting on the bus and muttering “Geez, stealing second and third, that’s OK, but stealing home? That was bad. Now they won’t play us.” In fact, according to Steve “Snorkey” Johnson, Ely forfeited the second game rather than play the Willmar team again. - SABR

The before is the old, mislabeled fg ending in -mik.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: fg kinger001mic.fg (187.2 KB, 31 views)

Old 03-27-2024, 07:51 PM   #85
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Keith Lieppman

Keith Lieppman by request for ya, Amazin'
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: fg lieppm001kei.fg (191.2 KB, 25 views)

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 PM   #86
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
An incident in the summer of 1977 exemplifies the extent of the talent, skill, and leadership abilities that would eventually land Kingery in the major leagues. Curtis Eischens, the shortstop on the 1977 Willmar VFW team, teaches at Orono Middle School and remembers a game in Ely, Minnesota. In the first inning of the first game of a doubleheader, Kingery, singled. Seeing a chance to steal, Kingery took second. Kingery then sensed that the pitcher was not watching, so Kingery stole third. Then in a move that most people would look at as “in your face,” Kingery stole home. But, according to Eischens, Kingery was just doing his job. “Mike was just that good,” said Eischens.

After the game Eischens remembers the coach, Elsie Klemmetson, getting on the bus and muttering “Geez, stealing second and third, that’s OK, but stealing home? That was bad. Now they won’t play us.” In fact, according to Steve “Snorkey” Johnson, Ely forfeited the second game rather than play the Willmar team again. - SABR

The before is the old, mislabeled fg ending in -mik.
Thanks! Now we can all sleep easy tonight.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:17 PM   #87
percolaten
All Star Reserve

So stoked my D-Backs just signed Jordan Montgomery! Anyone ever notice his physicality is a ringer for a left-handed Rick Reuschel? Similar stuff too, tho Gumby throws a bit harder than ol' Big Daddy. Anyhoo, ever since the Yankees made the ill advised move to trade him away, besides sport'n a superb ERA, he's been rock'n a beard...if Lans, or anyone else wants to take a shot at a grizzled Gumby, that'd be a fit for this season.
Attached Images
percolaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:25 PM   #88
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Sure, I’ll get him tomorrow. Though I’d have done him today if he signed with Boston.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:34 PM   #89
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Really grateful for the quality work on display in this thread. Many thanks!
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:37 PM   #90
percolaten
All Star Reserve

Hahaha, thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
Sure, I’ll get him tomorrow. Though I’d have done him today if he signed with Boston.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #91
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Really grateful for the quality work on display in this thread. Many thanks!
Thanks! Glad you like the work Lans and me do for that part of the game... they sure look better than what we did in the first FG project back when they were first integrated in the game.

The fun thing is that when I will start playing OOTP25 I will probably not be fully satisfied with the ones I did last year for the 19th century once again

Last edited by AESP_pres; 03-28-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:36 PM   #92
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Thanks for Lieppman!

Outfielder Andy Dyes was from Richmond CA and attended Fresno State, being the Expos' 4th round pick in the 1975 draft. At Rookie Ball Lethbridge he earned All-Star honors (alongside Andre Dawson) and led the league in RBI and SB.

This got him promoted to AA Quebec, where he struggled in 1976, but he bounced back stronger in 1977. Not strong enough to be placed on the 40-man, however, and that winter, the Blue Jays took him in the Rule V draft.

Apparently, the new teams were given a certain amount of leeway, because while Andy didn't make Toronto, they were allowed to keep him in their system and, after a couple of weeks at Syracuse, they even loaned him to the Mariners' affiliate in San Jose, before finally swapping him to the Padres for Mark Wiley.

This meant that Dyes spent the second half of the season at AAA Hawai'i, which many players enjoy. And so Andy had a good season (which is why the AI likes him) and then a less-good season in 1979, and then a not-good season in 1980 and he was cut loose. But at least he got to spend time in Hawai'i.

Beach towel not required.

(But cool if you can work it in.)
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:24 PM   #93
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Jordan Montgomery

Mazz: Jordan Montgomery signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks for one-year and $25 million. One effing year. $25 million. 1 year. There was a time over there when the Red Sox said, “we don’t like the long term deals, we don’t like the blockbuster contracts, we don’t want to make those sorts of commitments to guys because they all end up being bad contracts”. Now, I’ve been saying 90% of the time that’s true. Every once in a while there’s that deal that is not a bad contract that’s a blockbuster. The Manny Ramirez contract was not a bad contract. The Pedro Martinez contract was not a bad contract. Those guys were worth the money. Randy Johnson, when he signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks, I think won the Cy Young Award all four years. So there are those exceptions on those blockbuster deals. And the definition of the blockbuster deal has changed over time. But you’re telling me now the Red Sox aren’t even going to sign Jordan Montgomery for one-year and $25 million? - Tony “Mazz” Massarotti, yesterday, 98.5 FM The Sports Hub, Boston

I just saved over my beardless one, so save yours, perc, for the varied facial hair collection
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: fg montgo000jor.fg (248.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by LansdowneSt; 03-28-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:44 PM   #94
percolaten
All Star Reserve

Thanks Lans, looks great!
Old 03-28-2024, 08:06 PM   #95
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Andy Dyes

Andrew Dyes for ya, Amazin'
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: fg dyes--001and.fg (107.6 KB, 22 views)

Old 03-29-2024, 08:51 AM   #96
CBLCardinals
OOTP Roster Team

These poor souls need updated FG’s

Tyler Locklear, Seattle
Lazaro Montes, Seattle
Adael Amador, Colorado
Jacob Lopez, Tampa

Thanks!!
CBLCardinals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 AM   #97
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLCardinals View Post
These poor souls need updated FG’s

Tyler Locklear, Seattle
Lazaro Montes, Seattle
Adael Amador, Colorado
Jacob Lopez, Tampa

Thanks!!
Will do

Old 03-29-2024, 08:39 PM   #98
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Have any of the fg filenames that do not match the player's historical ID been corrected? This mismatch causes many of the faces to not automatically load.

I ask because I have been building a list of files to rename, but I don't want to post it if this work is or has already been done.
uruguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:44 PM   #99
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

You should PM your list to Lans since I'm sure he would really appreciated this... he is in the process of removing the badly named FG and it's an herculean task.

Edit
you can attach it too inside a post if you prefer but that depends of the size of the file you have.

Last edited by AESP_pres; 03-29-2024 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:53 PM   #100
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruguru View Post
Have any of the fg filenames that do not match the player's historical ID been corrected? This mismatch causes many of the faces to not automatically load.

I ask because I have been building a list of files to rename, but I don't want to post it if this work is or has already been done.
The fate that is befalling most of the misnamed files, as I go through and audit the pack in its entirety, is that they get deleted. They are so old they are not very good. Whether it is bad or missing, both are a signal to make a new one. I'm impressed you took on the challenge of that. Much of what I find are both the old name and a correctly named file in the pack. I'd estimate there are 5,000 dead or duplicate files in the pack if I extrapolate what I've gone through (34% audited to-date). Of that 5,000, I've removed about 1,500+ duplicates/dupes already. I have a spreadsheet with every file name in it in a long column as I categorize and evaluate them. I have not even started removing based on quality yet.

Just takes time. If there is someone in particular not loading just list the name and we'll get to it as a request. Don't drop a hundred on us, but if someone is on your team or prominent and missing, call it out.