Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Pirates
Major Leagues

Confused

Can some please explain to me how:
A legendary Bert Blyleven is a Cleveland Indian
A Legendary Paul Molitor is a Toronto Blue Jay

This is what leads me to believe, people know very little about the history of baseball, but because they understand sabermetrics, they believe they are a baseball expert.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
atabakin
All Star Reserve

You aren't likely to get many helpful responses when you insult stats-oriented folks on the forum for a stats-oriented game.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
You aren't likely to get many helpful responses when you insult stats-oriented folks on the forum for a stats-oriented game.
If you put out a Legendary Card and you Don't know:
Paul Molitor is a Brewer not a Blue Jay
Blyleven is a Twin not an Indian

Then My comment is a fact and 100% correct.
In case no one ever told you:
Facts don't care about your FEELINGS.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
RunninYakAngler
Minors (Triple A)

Just a wild guess here but maybe the Molitor card is based from 93-95 on his Peak seasons with the Blue Jays?

Old 11-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

maybe the cards are based on their performance at those teams? Blyleven had an excellent season in his time with the Indians and Molitor had 2 excellent seasons in his stint with the Jays, why can't they have cards for those years?

F2P Team
Old 11-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I can see that.... the "legendary" card should be with the team where the player spent the bulk of their career (imho).... if it were my choices, the the Molitor-Toronto card would have been an 'all-star' addition for 1993; while his Legendary-Peak card would have had the 1987 year tagged to it in Milwaukee (though the Peak cards are typically a merge of best seasons).... and the Blyleven-Cleveland card would have been based off his 1985 season, with his legendary-peak card as a Twin

and hey, that can always change from year to year as the devs get feedback/etc; so never know what might happen in the next version
Old 11-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post

How about alternative feelings?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:

The stats you whine about agree that Molitor's best seasons were as a Brewer and Blyleven's were as a Twin. It's a flaw of the game, not of stats people. But if you want to be lazy and be the old man yelling at a cloud, go for it.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
The stats you whine about agree that Molitor's best seasons were as a Brewer and Blyleven's were as a Twin. It's a flaw of the game, not of stats people. But if you want to be lazy and be the old man yelling at a cloud, go for it.
I didn't need a sabermetric stat to tell me what team should be on their Legendary card.
You needed to use sabermetric stats to agree with me.
So what does that tell us?
I'm not "Lazy" as you stated I was. I'm just smarter than you.
Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I didn't need a sabermetric stat to tell me what team should be on their Legendary card.
You needed to use sabermetric stats to agree with me.
So what does that tell us?
I'm not "Lazy" as you stated I was. I'm just smarter than you.
Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.
You blamed the stats for the cards being wrong. The stats say the cards are wrong. So your premise about the stats being wrong was wrong.

I agreed with your point about the cards being tied to the wrong teams. Just pointing out that it's not for the reason you thought. You clearly have a bias against stats, and blamed that without looking deeper. That's what made you lazy.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
You blamed the stats for the cards being wrong. The stats say the cards are wrong. So your premise about the stats being wrong was wrong.

I agreed with your point about the cards being tied to the wrong teams. Just pointing out that it's not for the reason you thought. You clearly have a bias against stats, and blamed that without looking deeper. That's what made you lazy.
It's not the stats fault the cards are incorrect.
What I was saying is this:
People who know very little or nothing about baseball think they are baseball experts because they know Sabermetric stats.
This is how mistakes on said cards happen.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It's not the stats fault the cards are incorrect.
What I was saying is this:
People who know very little or nothing about baseball think they are baseball experts because they know Sabermetric stats.
This is how mistakes on said cards happen.

Sorry for the confusion.
I will agree that those who are laser focused on stats above anything else have a level of arrogance about them, which leads to a lot of the backlash. See the Astros and the Osuna situation. Sabermetrics can't be ignored, but they need to be used in conjunction with knowledge of the human element.

Sorry for perhaps being too defensive.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
Pirates
Major Leagues

This example is why, (To me), a lot of sabermetrics stats are flawed and meaningless.

In 1980 the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series.
Pete Rose's WAR score in 1980 was -0.4.
Anyone with 2 or more brain cells when it comes to baseball would tell you:
Without Pete Rose, the Philadelphia Phillies would not have even made the Playoffs that year.

Some sabermetric statistics are severely flawed, such as WAR. Yet people with little baseball knowledge Use said stat to make personal decisions.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

I totally agree with the sentiment. A lot of the legends cards appear to be for the wrong teams. The worst offender IMO is Curt Schilling, who spent a long time in Philly and had his best seasons in Philly and Arizona, yet is somehow a Red Sox card.

However, the OP was pointlessly rude and confrontational about the subject, so I wouldn't blame the devs for totally ignoring his point.

How you say something and how you make people feel is just as important as what you say, often more so.

This is what leads me to believe, people know very little about how to talk to others, but because they understand the English language, they believe they are a rhetoric expert.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Well hey, they played for both teams in both cases. Sometimes a player will have more than one card. And each of these cards is a little different. I've griped about cards exactly three times...? lol...Sometimes your point of view just doesn't line up with the game. But they are just people too so it makes sense that we'd have our differences.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Apparently timing is rather important for correcting any perceived errors. There was a post dedicated to pointing out errors with the cards before the game was released...I came in pointing out the errors after this post was closed down and the seasons underway so keep an eye out for it before the next release I suppose.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

One of the things about a democratic environment is we end up with 8,000 and counting different opinions. So it's rather chaotic sometimes without some proper way to process all the different opinions.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #18
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This example is why, (To me), a lot of sabermetrics stats are flawed and meaningless.

In 1980 the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series.
Pete Rose's WAR score in 1980 was -0.4.
Anyone with 2 or more brain cells when it comes to baseball would tell you:
Without Pete Rose, the Philadelphia Phillies would not have even made the Playoffs that year.

Some sabermetric statistics are severely flawed, such as WAR. Yet people with little baseball knowledge Use said stat to make personal decisions.
How do you think the Astros, or Red Sox, or Twins, or any modern baseball front office would react to the statement that sabermetrics are flawed? Do you think they have very little baseball knowledge?

I'll also note that your original complaint of e.g. Blyleven's PEAK card being an Indian has absolutely nothing to do with sabermetrics whatsoever. I am not sure you fully understand what sabermetrics are, or what they're used for, or how they're used, or why people use them.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 11-11-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #19
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Maybe his point is that they're not the only thing that matters & that analysis and decisions are made & have been made differently in the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and now... Jeter is another example of a player who clearly defied sabermetrics. They're a pretty impressive tool but the popularity of them doesn't make them the best way to make decisions necessarily. Every time they will tell you that the players who performed best were best and should be in there. But they are designed that way, almost to look good. But that's after the fact, not an ability to scout players who have yet to play. Or maybe have not put up their best numbers yet but potentially could be the best option in the future. In the modern environment, so many players are not even in the discussion that don't get a chance to play.

Then again the talent pool is almost flooded with prospects today.

Wouldn't be an interesting exercise if we had to pick our players for PT 23 or 24 this winter from minor leaguers and other prospects who have yet to play Major League Baseball? And if the MLB scouts and other pieces of the franchise keep a player off the diamond, how can we judge his skills?

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 11-11-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 AM   #20
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
How do you think the Astros, or Red Sox, or Twins, or any modern baseball front office would react to the statement that sabermetrics are flawed?
The good ones among those will understand the imperfections and recognize the limitations of their approach and be constantly reevaluating and evolving their best practices.

Sabermetrics is an analytical approach and a process. The most famous sabermetric stat, WAR, is a non-standardized metric that has no single established calculation. Even in this new age of statistical importance, teams believe their unique proprietary sabermetric analysis will be able to discover flaws in the valuation of players by other teams.

However, flawed does not imply a lack of significance or meaning.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Closed Thread