Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

What to do?

I have been playing PT for about a month now F2P, and I love it. I have three teams, a collector team, a do my best to win team, and an Astros only team.

My collector team has had some brilliant luck with some packs, especially with starting pitching. A 100 Scherzer, a 99 Dazzy Vance, and a 93 Hank Aaron, are my best, but I also got a 100 Legendary Maddux a season or two ago. I was stoked because he's amazing, but just recently I realized that he sells for about a zillion points.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I am trying to only get players through packs and completing collection missions. And Maddux has made my team a solid contender to get up to Gold league next season. But, should I sell him and get like 300 standard packs? Or should I keep him?

I am so torn. Since, I'm collecting with this team, I feel like I shouldn't jettison him, but I also wonder if I might get a ton more value out of the 300 or so packs I might get for him, although I'll likely never see his like again on my team.

What do y'all think ?

Last edited by Elligator; 11-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Elligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elligator View Post
My collector team has had some brilliant luck with some packs, especially with starting pitching. A 100 Scherzer, a 99 Dazzy Vance, and a 93 Hank Aaron, are my best, but I also got a 100 Legendary Maddux a season or two ago.
That's some incredible pack luck for one month of F2P.

Quote:
I feel like I shouldn't jettison him, but I also wonder if I might get a ton more value out of the 300 or so packs I might get for him, although I'll likely never see his like again on my team.
I don't know how many missions Peak Maddux is in off the top of my head, but I doubt it's very many compared to whatever you pull from those packs. I might keep him around to rack up achievements until the competition gets tougher and then sell him, but since you've prohibited yourself from reinvesting any PP in the auction house you're not guaranteed to improve your team or make significant progress on missions.

So basically, it comes down to whether you're confident you'll score some more sweet pulls.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

the point of pulling packs is to get a peak maddux. You should keep him. You won't get another card like that in 300 packs TYPICALLY.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
atabakin
All Star Reserve

With 300 packs you could expect to pull on average 1-2 (probably live) perfects, 10 diamonds (7 live, 3 historical), a bunch of golds, and some more packs to open following the sale of cards you don't need.

It's up to you whether that trade-off is worth it. You're not going to come close to completing meaningful collections with packs only, so you should probably abandon that idea.

We're less than 5 months from this version of PT becoming a barren wasteland as people move over to 21, so if you keep Maddux, by the time you get to the highest level everyone else will be robots. But you're not likely to pull a card of his caliber again with F2P packs.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks

Last edited by macacks; 11-06-2019 at 05:08 PM.
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

There isn't really a wrong decision. Maddux would be amazing to have especially coming from a pack and as mentioned he could probably get some nice accomplishments for increased PP at the lower levels. However, he is just one player and 300 packs would give you a great chance to build an overall better team if you aren't using the AH.

Your pack luck has been incredible if you have only been playing that short of time and some people that play this game seem to never lose their luck so it might be worth the risk. With that said, you could suddenly get my pack luck and never pull a perfect in the history of the game from here on out or maybe pull like 1 or 2 live diamonds in your 300 packs. It's a risk for sure but I like your odds as some people have been touched by the pack Gods.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
klcs77
Bat Boy

the 100 Maddux comes down to this do you value defense over hitting? As he will not strikeout a lot of batters so you need a good defense to get the most out of him. It is not common to have the best bat also be one of the best defensive options and those that are can be quite pricey on the AH.
TL/DR
do you have and plan to keep high defense players if yes keep if no sell and try to get a Schilling Pedro Clemens type for around half the sell price and GL with the packs

Last edited by klcs77; 11-06-2019 at 02:36 PM.
klcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. When the new OOTP comes out, will it totally reboot the Perfect Game or will you be able to carry any cards over? My impression is the former, but I haven't been able to find concrete rules about it.

I think I may just keep Maddux for now. I loved him anyway when he was playing and it's fun to have him headlining my rotation. It it had been a Pedro Martinez or something I might sell him. I average about 2000 points a day or so (total guess) at Silver level, so a couple of packs a day is keeping me excited. I had a really bare run (like several 1 bronze/5 iron packs) after pulling the Maddux for close to a week, but then snagged a Gold Altuve, which as an Astros fan has been nice.

As for the collection missions, I had been mostly doing the ones where I could get all the cards I needed in the AH for less than 1000 PP, and I've about run that out.

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only
Old 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
When the new OOTP comes out, will it totally reboot the Perfect Game or will you be able to carry any cards over
You'll start over with a brand new team in the next OOTP game.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
klcs77
Bat Boy

Maddux with defense is one of the 5 best Starters in the game

As a fellow Astros fan I respected Mad Dog but those Braves beat the Stros one to many times in the Playoffs for me to be to warm and fuzzy

It is a great card and should be a lot of fun as you work your way up the ladder
klcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcs77 View Post
As a fellow Astros fan I respected Mad Dog but those Braves beat the Stros one to many times in the Playoffs for me to be to warm and fuzzy
Thank goodness for Chris Burke, whose card by the way is stupidly overpriced!

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only
Old 11-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
jgruss02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I have been playing PT for about a month now F2P, and I love it. I have three teams, a collector team, a do my best to win team, and an Astros only team.
So how has your Astros only team done this year. I have an Astros team but I have also included some Colt 45 players. They haven't won a series but they have made the playoffs at different levels several times. Including some seasons in some Diamond leagues. They have gone up and down but have mostly stayed in Diamond leagues. Currently they are in a PT league and struggling a bit. I only play Astros and Colt 45 players so I am relegated to Gattis, Maldonado and Chirinos for Catcher. I don't mind, it's been fun to watch week to week. I got nearly all of them pretty early in the season and did not pay for anyone, just traded and waited. I also completed most of the Astros Collection Missions which helped add some additional players.

Joel

jgruss02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruss02 View Post
So how has your Astros only team done this year.
I've played 2.5 seasons now. Two iron leagues, won the league the second time. Currently in 2nd in a bronze league. Have 3 diamond players: Greinke, Cedeno, and Correa. I feel like they should be doing better than they are. Completed my fist collecting mission and got Dierker and Rader. So along with Cedeno, I should see a pretty big uptick in my performance, or at least I think I should.

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only
Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
I've played 2.5 seasons now. Two iron leagues, won the league the second time. Currently in 2nd in a bronze league. Have 3 diamond players: Greinke, Cedeno, and Correa. I feel like they should be doing better than they are. Completed my fist collecting mission and got Dierker and Rader. So along with Cedeno, I should see a pretty big uptick in my performance, or at least I think I should.
The nice thing about the Astros is that they have several very high end options that make a Rangers fan like myself jealous (at least we have a catcher though ).

Historic Cedeno has been a beast for me, and the new SE version of him looks to be a significant upgrade from the standard version. I also recently found Bagwell at a price point more to my liking (down from ~40k pre-missions to ~28k as the rewards for his specific mission proved underwhelming, I guess), which actually forced the very solid Peak Biggio to the bench finally.

I'm also curious to see if the Gold SE Dierker can outperform the PT19 fan fave Diamond Dierker. I think he might...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
jgruss02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Historic Cedeno has been a beast for me, and the new SE version of him looks to be a significant upgrade from the standard version. I also recently found Bagwell at a price point more to my liking (down from ~40k pre-missions to ~28k as the rewards for his specific mission proved underwhelming, I guess), which actually forced the very solid Peak Biggio to the bench finally.

I'm also curious to see if the Gold SE Dierker can outperform the PT19 fan fave Diamond Dierker. I think he might...
I can agree on my Cedeno as well. Played him for several seasons and he's been a 4 time All Star, 3 time AC Platinum Stick, and 2 time Playoff Series MVP.

I have a Historical All-Star Bagwell from 94 that is an 89. HE consistently plays well. I haven't been able to the Diamond Bagwell since I spent some points on a 04 Roger Clemens. I am saving for a Bagwell and have about 14k so I am halfway to my 30k goal.

BTW, Competed one the Astros missions and have Octavio DiPino from 83 as an additional Closer with my Wager (Diamond 98). Wagner has been great. In the 2049 season, 37 saves, 1.70 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP and a 2.3 WAR.

Joel

jgruss02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #16
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

All Star Cedeno has been totally dominating the Silver league since I forked over the brinks truck for him, and the Gold SE Dierker he earned me by completing the mission is likewise crushing it. The two of them are turning my team completely around.

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only