Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
dbl4868
Minors (Single A)

Intentional Walks and Replay Challenges

I’m a newbie to OOTP and I’m loving the game. Couple of questions:

Why is it that a pitcher throws pitches when you intentionally walk a batter?

Also, why are there no replay challenges like there are in MLB?
dbl4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Neither change has made it into the game.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I'm assuming "replay challenge" would just be flavor added to the text since the animation isn't anywhere close to being able to recreate the kinds of plays that actually get challenged in MLB.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
dbl4868
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I'm assuming "replay challenge" would just be flavor added to the text since the animation isn't anywhere close to being able to recreate the kinds of plays that actually get challenged in MLB.
I would think the manager would be given a choice to have the play reviewed on close plays. We would not need to actually see the video replay. Perhaps the game engine would tell us the chances of the call being overturned. There are other games on the market that do this.
dbl4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

The pitcher does go through the old-style motions of throwing pitched to execute the IW, but the pitches no longer count against the player's PC total for that game. So, the end result is the same.
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyVotto View Post
The pitcher does go through the old-style motions of throwing pitched to execute the IW, but the pitches no longer count against the player's PC total for that game. So, the end result is the same.
They never should have counted anyways. Have a hard time convincing me that issuing an intentional walk by lobbing four pitches tires you in any way.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl4868 View Post
I would think the manager would be given a choice to have the play reviewed on close plays. We would not need to actually see the video replay. Perhaps the game engine would tell us the chances of the call being overturned. There are other games on the market that do this.
It's useless candy never mind a time waster. Other games having it is not a reason imo for OOTP to follow suit. It could also fan those yearly flame wars from the predetermined outcome cult.

BTW are you talking other baseball sims.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
maineyankee7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

And why no commercial breaks between innings and during pitching changes? And where is the pregame show with 4 or 5 talking heads all talking over each other? And when do we get bat flips?
maineyankee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I've always thought it would be cool if your computer froze completely during an OOTP rain delay and remained useless for the length of the delay. Maybe after like 10 minutes of idle time it could start showing an episode of Bonanza or Gunsmoke or if your lucky This Week in Baseball. If your really unlucky, it could start showing Hee Haw.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Predetermined Outcome Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
It's useless candy never mind a time waster. Other games having it is not a reason imo for OOTP to follow suit. It could also fan those yearly flame wars from the predetermined outcome cult.

I have several old rolls of tinfoil I might be willing to donate in the name of helping these people.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
I have several old rolls of tinfoil I might be willing to donate in the name of helping these people.
Don't forget to bring some Toast...….if you bring it they will come.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post

The only thing OOTP predetermines is my life every spring after it has been released. Long nights sitting in front of my computer. And then I start remoting in via Team Viewer...
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is built from the ground up - it starts with the stats and then creates the players and the strategies and the rest of the game. The goal is to make it so that everything works together to yield realistic results. So if something isn't in the stats, inserting it into the game can possibly cause the results produced by the game to be off.

As far as I'm aware, there's no stat for "things that were overturned on appeal." For instance, if a player steals a base and then the call is overturned on appeal, the player isn't awarded a "stolen base if it hadn't been overturned on appeal." Instead, he just gets a caught-stealing. That caught-stealing, then, is factored into that player's ratings to create his OOTP counterpart. In effect, then, appeal plays are already a part of the game. It's just that they're not included in the play-by-play or game summaries.

I'm not sure how much work would be needed to incorporate appeal plays into the PBP and game summaries without screwing up the stats, but I imagine it wouldn't be negligible. The question, then, is whether the developers' time and effort would be better spent on improving this aspect of the game or on something else.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote