Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
chazzycat
All Star Starter

An Experiment of 3 Teams

So, last year in PT19 I ran two highly specialized teams as follows:

Type A - Small Ball: Offense focused on contact, gap, baserunning. Park factors favor AVG & GAP, penalize HR. FB pitchers favoring strikeout/walk ratios over HR suppression. Outfield defense is the priority.

Type B - Moneyball: Offense focused on power & eye ratings. Park factors favor HR and penalize AVG/GAP. GB pitchers focused on HR suppression. Infield defense is the priority.

Overall both teams were pretty successful, making it to perfect level. However the small-ball team was my "main team" and I spent money on it (probably about $200?), while the moneyball team was basically FTP.

Due to that imbalance in spending, obviously the two teams were not on the same level and so it was hard for me to get a read on which strategy was more effective. So this year I am trying to run a more controlled experiment, to ensure a level playing field between the two teams, and really see which is superior. And also adding a third category:

Type C - Balanced
To serve as a control group, I'm trying to make my 3rd team be as generic as possible. Basically, this team just tries to get the best possible players who have well-rounded skills and no major weaknesses. Park factors set to 1 across the board. Anthony Rizzo comes to mind as the prototypical player for this category - just green bars of similar length, across the board.

The plan was originally for all three teams to be 100% FTP and also with zero pack openings. The purpose of "no packs" is to remove the randomness of pulls from the equation. So all my upgrades will come from PP earned from achievements and then scouring the auction house. No challenge mode packs either.

However when I opened my bonus gold packs, I got a diamond Justin Turner in what became my Type A team. Obviously, getting a diamond that early is a huge boon and throws off the relative balance between the three teams. So, to level the playing field I purchased some points and bought a live-diamond 3B of the same caliber for the other two teams.

So my HR team has added live Matt Chapman, and my "Balanced" team added live Anthony Rendon. I don't plan on spending any more $$ at this point.

I have started remaking the rosters to fit the parks, but am not finished yet. I plan to complete this process over the remaining week in the entry pool, and hit the ground running with all 3 teams next Monday.

That's all for now, I just wanted to get that written down. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress through the seasons.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
neugey
All Star Reserve

Another thing you have to factor for is how much you value defense vs offense, in both types A and B. It's hard to compare in a vacuum IMO.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Oh, definitely.

My thought process is that Type A should have the absolute highest priority for defense, due to that 1.1 AVG modifier. In particular with the 1.5 gap modifier, and flyball pitchers, I need an elite rangy outfield. But I definitely plan on having strong infield defense as well.

For type B, I can let the defense slide in the outfield somewhat. The gap factors going all the way down to .5 instead of .9 should help there, and you can't defend a HR. However I plan to have an absolutely rock solid infield defense to help my GB pitchers. Chapman was a really good fit there.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
mwadsit
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Oh, definitely.

My thought process is that Type A should have the absolute highest priority for defense, due to that 1.1 AVG modifier. In particular with the 1.5 gap modifier, and flyball pitchers, I need an elite rangy outfield. But I definitely plan on having strong infield defense as well.

For type B, I can let the defense slide in the outfield somewhat. The gap factors going all the way down to .5 instead of .9 should help there, and you can't defend a HR. However I plan to have an absolutely rock solid infield defense to help my GB pitchers. Chapman was a really good fit there.
Can you give a quick rundown of some of the guys you used for Team A? Think that's how I want to build my 20 team
mwadsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadsit View Post
Can you give a quick rundown of some of the guys you used for Team A? Think that's how I want to build my 20 team
I will definitely provide more details about the roster choices moving forward. At this point though I am still early in the process of turning over my starter-pack roster to fit the park and strategy. The biggest move I can recall was picking up Victor Robles for CF.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Nabbed a Gwynn for RF on Team A for 1100 PP. Seems a good deal - even though it's a bronze card, it's a good fit. I put him in the lineup and of course he got the "hit machine" achievement the very first game.

Otherwise most moves have been for the bullpen so far. I like to start there since it is quite cheap. So far I have picked up Brebbia, Clem Labine, Todd Worrell, Darren O'Day and Juan Nicasio. Nothing too exciting but vast improvements over the other garbage. Now I just need some lefties, but I'm out of PP for now.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

You should have kept them all ftp.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Nabbed a Gwynn for RF on Team A for 1100 PP. Seems a good deal - even though it's a bronze card, it's a good fit. I put him in the lineup and of course he got the "hit machine" achievement the very first game.

Otherwise most moves have been for the bullpen so far. I like to start there since it is quite cheap. So far I have picked up Brebbia, Clem Labine, Todd Worrell, Darren O'Day and Juan Nicasio. Nothing too exciting but vast improvements over the other garbage. Now I just need some lefties, but I'm out of PP for now.

Sounds reasonable. Luckily I pulled the silver Record Breaker Gwynn last Friday. He's incredible. The silver one has pretty bad defense though so I have to commit him to the DH spot.

I loved Whitey-ball as much as the next guy in real life, but I'm leery of going too far in that direction for PT - because most PT players are going to have a catcher with blue streaks to shut down the running game. And I don't know if the AI executes the hit and run all that well.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
You should have kept them all ftp.
Yeah, that would have been ideal. What are the odds I get a diamond from my free gold pack? Ah well.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that would have been ideal. What are the odds I get a diamond from my free gold pack? Ah well.
I opened a perfect Betts and I sold it off and bought a bunch of packs with the proceeds. I had predesignated that team my ftp pack team. Was fun busting open a bunch of packs even though I would have been better off going to the AH. That team is doing well in bronze now.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

On to Team B. For this one actually quite a few of my starter pack cards were decent fits. I'm not in a rush to replace Rocky Colavito, Ji-Man Choi, Scott Hatteberg & Marcell Ozuna. The biggest move I made was for Lonny Frey. Really strong 2B defense and solid eye rating. At SS I got Leo Durocher from my starter packs, who is all-glove zero bat. I plan to leave him there for now because it's quite hard to find a shortstop of that caliber who hits homers and walks. Pee Wee Reese was who I used last year and was excellent, so I'll keep my eye out for him. But my infield defense is already rock-solid between those two and Chapman.

On the pitching side it's very straightforward - just looking for MOV rating here. I was actually pretty surprised to find a lot of bargains with solid ratings. Already I've made-over almost my entire bullpen. Also added Johnny Kucks and Bobo Holloman as starters.

So far this team is performing the best, 3rd place overall in the whole entry pool with matching run differential. Led by Matt Chapman who's on an 8-WAR pace. The other two teams are above .500 but nothing great (yet).

Last edited by chazzycat; 03-26-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

So .... was your team the Portland Pines?

I was in the same league with them a few times and you're describing that team to a T.
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrian View Post
So .... was your team the Portland Pines?

I was in the same league with them a few times and you're describing that team to a T.
Hah, nope! Though it's definitely a popular team construction concept. Especially at the higher levels last year there were quite a few.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
it's quite hard to find a shortstop of that caliber who hits homers and walks. Pee Wee Reese was who I used last year and was excellent, so I'll keep my eye out for him. But my infield defense is already rock-solid between those two and Chapman.
I gotta take that back already - I just stumbled on the rookie Tulo card. It happened to cost like exactly what I had left, so I jumped on it. Feeling much better about SS not being an offensive black hole.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Team C is coming along as well, with probably about half the roster switched over to the most well-rounded players I could find. I'm looking for a balanced offensive profile, along with good baserunning and defense. For pitchers it's mostly the biggest bars for all 3 categories I can find, but I'm also not ignoring stamina or holding runners. Basically the idea here is to have zero weaknesses and just field a team as solid all-around as possible.

I should have some more free time tomorrow to finish the super-early transition period, and will post full rosters.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #16
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Made a lot of progress today. All three teams are really starting to take shape and actually starting to reflect the strategies I laid out above.

For Team A which I have named the "Small Ballers" (real original I know), I made some more really nice acquisitions. Playing SS is now Luis Guillorme, another bronze card but a great fit here. In the outfield I added Michael Brantley & Kevin Kiermier, so now I've got 4 solid outfielders I like. Since the outfield is a huge priority I'm very happy with that. And last but not least, I nabbed Wes Parker to play first base. He is yet another 69-rated bronze that should play much better in my park. Just crazy high contact and gap ratings.

On the pitching side I have revamped most of the staff to fit the goal of high STU and CON ratings. I'm not completely punting on MOV, that would be foolish, but it's a lower priority. All STU ratings are now green for the entire staff, with a couple blues. There are a handful of yellows remaining for CON but they are mostly green too. The pitching stats are pretty dreadful, but that's to be expected with the AVG factors. The HR/9 really aren't that bad. This team isn't leading the league in anything yet but is creeping up in batting average (currently 3rd) and top 10 in several offensive stats. Not quite where I want to be. It took me a while to add any decent SP, so my walk & strikeout rankings aren't where I want them to be either. Hopefully Joe Musgrove and Marco Gonzales will help turn that around (just acquired those two). But that should probably be my focus the next couple days.

For Team B, the "SaberCats" my first priority was to get green bars for MOV rating across the board. I'm almost there - the last holdout is my 5th starter. Most guys have decent CON as well. Almost all of them are extreme groundballers, and since my infield is ridiculously good I've been letting slide on the STU rating and just letting the infield get the outs. It's been working great so far. I'm leading the league in defensive efficiency, zone rating, ERA, HR allowed, and runs allowed.

On the offensive side it's not so pretty. I have a ways to go there. But with the pitching & defense so strong we are definitely outscoring our opponents, so it's all good. This team is still the most successful overall, having taken 2nd place in the entry pool behind a team with 8 diamond/rest golds. Run differential is over +100. Leading the way is Chapman followed by...Scott Hatteberg. Yep, the guy from Moneyball, which I found very appropriate. Billy Beane would be proud.

Team C is playing better too. "The Balancers" have actually leapfrogged the SmallBallers for second place among the three, currently 56-43. My main goal for this team right now is to eliminate ALL red & orange ratings. Eventually the goal will be all greens, but for now some yellows are inevitable with the PP I have to spend. The pitching staff is complete already, and there are just a handful of orange ratings left on the offensive side. Zero reds.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I really need to say - awesome job with the cards this time. There are so many good options for nearly every position with different combinations of skills. Especially the bronze cards. So much diversity now and affordable too. I love it. Makes this early stage super fun.

Now if I can just find a CF who walks and hits dingers... and who's not Mike Trout...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #18
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Added Muncy, Gallo and Schwarber to the Saber team. That should get the offense moving!

All three teams are currently in the top 8 in the entry pool. I guess starting with a diamond card is a pretty decent advantage
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #19
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
That's cool Chazzy - hope to run into you in the leagues.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

This is fun to follow. I like the balanced concept the best, but they are all interesting.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote