Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
PsychoBulk
Minors (Double A)

And to me the peripherals means its not even a debate.

I literally count wins as nothing towards award voting, for me they shouldnt even exist as a pitcher stat.
PsychoBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Can we see the run support per game that each pitcher got? I think it's under one of the expanded stats as rs/g.
I'm looking for it but I'm not seeing it. Where it would it be exactly?
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Player 2 is probably the best pitcher, but player 3 deserved the Cy Young award because he had a more memorable season. Many people forget that awards are meant to award players for outstanding seasons and are not meant to evaluate who would be the best player to have on your team next year.

Besides, except for his ERA, Player 3 compares very favorably to player 2 and pitched a lot more innings.

I would also consider the home/road stats of the players, though. If any of these 3 pitched a whole lot better at home than the other guys, he'd get booted out of the discussion.

Last edited by Questdog; 03-24-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #24
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

There is no question in my mind that #3 WOULD win in real life.

It is also no question in my mind that #2 SHOULD win.

Wins are a team stat. I think it is fair to use them as a deciding factor, but in this case #2 is WAAAAY better than the others, so a 'deciding factor' should never come into it.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Definitely player 2.
Habsfan18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #26
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Player 2 is probably the best pitcher, but player 3 deserved the Cy Young award because he had a more memorable season. Many people forget that awards are meant to award players for outstanding seasons and are not meant to evaluate who would be the best player to have on your team next year.

Besides, except for his ERA, Player 3 compares very favorably to player 2 and pitched a lot more innings.

I would also consider the home/road stats of the players, though. If any of these 3 pitched a whole lot better at home than the other guys, he'd get booted out of the discussion.
Here is their Home and Road stats. Player 2 is on top with Player 3 on the bottom.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #27
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh24 View Post
I'm looking for it but I'm not seeing it. Where it would it be exactly?
Go on the player profile, click pitching stats, click view, then click "Expanded Stats". You should see it.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #28
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You can't really say "besides ERA". Player 2 allowed like 30 runs less in the whole season. That's sayin something to me.

Edit:
Quote:
Many people forget that awards are meant to award players for outstanding seasons and are not meant to evaluate who would be the best player to have on your team next year.
Really gotta agree with this here.

Last edited by Tyler87898; 03-24-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
You can't really say "besides ERA". Player 2 allowed like 30 runs less in the whole season. That's sayin something to me.
Last I checked, runs allowed and ERA were sorta related.....and player 2 beats player 3 in ERA more than he beats him in runs allowed.....
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Last I checked, runs allowed and ERA were sorta related.....and player 2 beats player 3 in ERA more than he beats him in runs allowed.....
Well yeah I knew that haha I didn't mean for it to be read like that. My bad.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #31
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Player 2 easy choice for me.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #32
kev24fan
Major Leagues

I would pick player 2 also.
kev24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #33
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

I would pick player 3: Wins should not be the end-all, however 23 wins compared to 16 is a huge difference. Secondly, pitcher 3 has more innings; meaning he's more valuable to his team than the other 2. Finally, strikeouts are a huge factor; I would pick player 3 based on Ks alone.

Another factor that is missing in the attempt to preserve anonymity, is what team these players worked for. If a player pitched in a hitters' park like Coors Field, then naturally their ERA would be higher; conversely if a pitcher played in Petco, it would be much lower. Also, the second screenshot, showing H/A splits, sways me more in favor of pitcher 3; pitcher 2 didn't seem to be able to take his game on the road.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #34
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
I would pick player 3: Wins should not be the end-all, however 23 wins compared to 16 is a huge difference. Secondly, pitcher 3 has more innings; meaning he's more valuable to his team than the other 2. Finally, strikeouts are a huge factor; I would pick player 3 based on Ks alone.

Another factor that is missing in the attempt to preserve anonymity, is what team these players worked for. If a player pitched in a hitters' park like Coors Field, then naturally their ERA would be higher; conversely if a pitcher played in Petco, it would be much lower. Also, the second screenshot, showing H/A splits, sways me more in favor of pitcher 3; pitcher 2 didn't seem to be able to take his game on the road.

Yeah home/road stats make it a cinch that player 3 deserves the award. Player 2 was helped a TON by his home park.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #35
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post

Player 2 played for the Seattle Mariners (controlled by me) and Player 3 played for the Angels.

Side Note my Mariners went on to win the World Series this year.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Team records, positions and playoffs or not?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #37
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I'd go with player 2, although the home/road split made me consider player 3 more closely than I otherwise would have.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #38
Crimguy
Minors (Triple A)

Player 3. Win column is significantly better than competition, ERA is average compared to #2, but he's clearly a clutch player that can dig deep when needed, and resilient to pitch as many innings as he did.
Crimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

The innings difference equates to a half-inning per game, or 1.5 outs. Not that significant when you look at it that way.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #40
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Team records, positions and playoffs or not?
Here is the final standings. Angels & Player 3 ended up losing the 1 game wild card playoff game to Texas.
Attached Images