Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Can you play...

Is it possible to play a random historical game with "retire players according to history" enabled, or does one have to play with the player development engine enabled. In the first year of a game some players will show up towards the end of their careers, and I'd just like some process that would clear them outta there at the appropriate time, so the game doesn't get too stuffed with players.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I've never tried, but I don't think so. The reason being that I think that option is tied to the actual year, not a player's total years of experience. In other words, the game wants to retire a guy in the actual year he retired in RL, not after X years of experience.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I've never tried, but I don't think so. The reason being that I think that option is tied to the actual year, not a player's total years of experience. In other words, the game wants to retire a guy in the actual year he retired in RL, not after X years of experience.
This. No it will not work. Would be cool if the player only played the same amount as he did IRL.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
This. No it will not work. Would be cool if the player only played the same amount as he did IRL.
Thanks for the responses.

Ok...so...anyone got any good settings for the player development engine? I had turned it off, but I guess I'll have to turn it back on again. I know The Wolf had some interesting looking ones, but I can't find them right now. I guess I'm looking for a middle ground between destroying promising young careers and getting those that need to shuffle off to do so.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post

Ok...so...anyone got any good settings for the player development engine? I had turned it off, but I guess I'll have to turn it back on again. I know The Wolf had some interesting looking ones, but I can't find them right now. I guess I'm looking for a middle ground between destroying promising young careers and getting those that need to shuffle off to do so.
I don't I have 2 players on one of my teams that played for 9 & 54 games and are still around 6 years later bouncing between AAA and MLB.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Right now I use 67 change, zero percent ratings, 50% this year, 33% last year, 17% two years ago and sim the league for five years so every player has a firm stats base before I take over. It's working fine. I play stats only, so if there are some highly rated but low production players being cut loose by the AI, I can't tell, because I am only judging them by their actual performance as well.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Right now I use 67 change, zero percent ratings, 50% this year, 33% last year, 17% two years ago and sim the league for five years so every player has a firm stats base before I take over. It's working fine. I play stats only, so if there are some highly rated but low production players being cut loose by the AI, I can't tell, because I am only judging them by their actual performance as well.
Thanks for the quick response. I know about the stats only stuff. You blind yourself to ratings completely and make damn sure the AI does as well. I was talking about aging and development speeds for batters and pitchers, as well as talent change randomness, which I think you shortened to "change" and that for you is 67, right?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I know about the stats only stuff. You blind yourself to ratings completely and make damn sure the AI does as well. I was talking about aging and development speeds for batters and pitchers, as well as talent change randomness, which I think you shortened to "change" and that for you is 67, right?
my aging is .997 for both hitters & pitchers. TRC is set to 1 for Historical/RD leagues. I also tend to use 100% scouting since i know most of the players.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TCR 67
Batter age .250
Batter dev 1.000
Pitcher age .375
Pitcher dev .900
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TCR 67
Batter age .250
Batter dev 1.000
Pitcher age .375
Pitcher dev .900
I think you use these for fictional right? How do you think they'd work in a random debut historical type of league, which I guess is kinda fictional in that these guys didn't all play against each other?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you use these for fictional right? How do you think they'd work in a random debut historical type of league, which I guess is kinda fictional in that these guys didn't all play against each other?
Yes, fictional.

Try it and see.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
my aging is .997 for both hitters & pitchers. TRC is set to 1 for Historical/RD leagues. I also tend to use 100% scouting since i know most of the players.
Do you play with recalc on or off? What difference do you think it would make? Sorry for all the questions folks, but I've never used the player development engine...only recalc + retire players according to history.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, fictional.

Try it and see.
Thanks TW, will do. Judging from your posts they were vigourously tested.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I'll give Wolf this much, he may not always be right, but if he says something, HE is pretty dang sure he's right. And he's usually thought it through pretty well.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Nobody's always right.

And thank you, Oliver

Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TCR 67
Batter age .250
Batter dev 1.000
Pitcher age .375
Pitcher dev .900
Why do you use these #'s? Do you get players playing into their late 40's? I have 2 players in their mid 40's as of 2007 MLB. I would have to double check who they are. Why a TCR of 67?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I get players playing into their forties. I like it that way.

A TCR of 67 means less randomness, but not too little. That's how I like that.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I get players playing into their forties. I like it that way.

A TCR of 67 means less randomness, but not too little. That's how I like that.
Do you get alot of players i meant. I have a few but not too many. I'll check my leagues in a bit for an exact # not that it matters. Right now for my main league I have TCR at 25. It's mostly MLB with 2 fictional leagues 1 of which are my own historical players so dont want them changing too much. In my other league I have TCR at 50. 50 seems to give enough change but it could perhaps go up a bit. The reason I am being persistant with this, is I am always looking for better aging but dont want Jamie Moyer playing until he is 55. I have had to unretire Rickey Henderson, Roger Clemens & Barry Bonds twice each.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

But you do want Moyer playing until he is 49.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you do want Moyer playing until he is 49.
Yes.
My MLB over 40 club as of June 2007:
Clemens 44, Aranda (fictional) 42, R. Palmiero 42, Greg Maddux 41, Steve Scarsone 41, Brocail, Hovland (Fic), Schill, Wake, Walker 40 Moyer is 44 in another league as the only player over 40 Grahe is 39. Smoltz and 1 fictional player in another league.

Do you ever unretire players? I have yet to unretire Moyer, but as i said I unretired Clemens twice. Once due to a CEI and the other after missing 2004. He is 4 wins shy of 300.