Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Wold Baseball Classic

Is it possible to get the World Baseball Classic added into the game? Not sure if this has been brought up before or asked but i think it would be cool to add this into the game as it only happens every 4 years.

I know with EHM they were able to add the Olympics in the game so I know this is possible just not sure if I'm the only one out there that thinks this would be pretty bad a$$.

Awesome!!!
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

It's been mentioned a lot. I think it's been said that it's not a high priority.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Ok not a high priority, but it would be a very nice addition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Garethw87

I don't understand why it 'can't' be added?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
Where has "can't" been said? From what I understand it would require a significant amount of coding/re-coding and so has not been put in yet, but it is still on the list for possible implementation in the future.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

This is awesome news. I don't care how long it takes to be in the game and of course i would like to see other features in the game before this, just glad that it's a possibility.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
boshk
All Star Reserve

it would be nice if also leagues like the winter league were added. just treat them like an all star team, where they do not actually leave their current team, but play on another.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
From my seat, the biggest thing that would be required for a WBC to be implemented, is a re-working of the nationality system.

There is no way you could properly implement the WBC as the nationality system currently stands. Look at your league and try and put together a squad for Italy, or the Netherlands.

2nd Nationalities, or a totally different sub-catagory, such as eligible, not even full blown nationality. And that then means a whole slew of things need to be upgraded for that. The player generation, being tied to player names, would have to be smart enough to know that a player of such and such a name has such and such probability of having lineage that goes back to such and such country, and then create the player correctly.

Then you got having the game recognize WBC years, Spring Training being extended, the AI dealing with this properly, the pitch count restrictions, all this stuff needs to be added because in mine eyes, a half done WBC implementation would not be worth very much.

When looking at that work, I would say the hell with it. Fix other things first before worrying about implementing the WBC.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Completely Recoded Player Origin System
We have completely recoded player origin to make your league's development much more realistic. There are now 5 different ways new players enter the league, and each one can be customized for the number of created players and their nationalities:

The First-Year Player Draft: By default, players in the draft pool are now from the USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. However, the nationality can be tweaked in great detail and can also include a set percentage of random nationalities. That also applies to the following optional player entry methods.

Based on these new features, I think it would be pretty easy to create a league that allowed for there to be enough players for different national teams. Plus, you can always create different leagues based in other countries to make this possible.

The coding issue is working out the national teams borrowing players from regular teams. From what I understand this would take quite a bit of work (and having a bit of programming in my background I could see how) because the databases are not set up to handle that idea. This is the same reason Winter leagues have not been able to be implemented properly as of yet.

I think there is probably enough demand that it will happen eventually, but like promotion/relegation it may be down the road a bit yet.

FTB: andymac

Last edited by andymac; 03-19-2013 at 05:44 AM.
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Poo Tee Weet
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wold Baseball Classic

Is there a tournament system in place for the game?

I guess you could have a very short season (4 games) and do custom playoffs. How feasible is that to setup? I haven't messed with it to that degree.

On that note, fun tournaments of any kind would be a neat feature. Even if they exist outside the league so long as you could import a pool of players from anywhere.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
flubug31
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
The coding issue is working out the national teams borrowing players from regular teams. From what I understand this would take quite a bit of work (and having a bit of programming in my background I could see how) because the databases are not set up to handle that idea. This is the same reason Winter leagues have not been able to be implemented properly as of yet.
Except winter leagues were a touted feature as early as 2004, in the nascent stages of the re-write, so there's really no excuse for the game to have been coded in such a way that not only left this type of functionality out of the 2006 release, but also precluded its future implementation. This is especially true given that the stated reason for re-writing in the first place was that access to SI's code was going to make things like this possible.
flubug31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Cras
Hall Of Famer

The re-write.

I know that it was worth it, the game is in a place far beyond what was possible if it was just built upon 6.5 for x more versions....

but if Markus came out and said that OOTP 16 was going to be written new from the ground up I think I would scream real loud at my monitor in the hopes the acoustic energy would be transmitted and he would hear.....

because that was painful.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post

When looking at that work, I would say the hell with it. Fix other things first before worrying about implementing the WBC.
Wish I could have thanked this 10 times. On a list of priorities with respect to Baseball realism the WBC is very low priority. Just my

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Wish I could have thanked this 10 times. On a list of priorities with respect to Baseball realism the WBC is very low priority. Just my
I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as low priority, but I agree that it's not as important as some other additions/refinements that can be made. I've personally gone from really wanting to see the WBC added to the game to not giving a fried fig if it ever gets added. I can understand why some people would want to see the WBC added to the game, and I'm sure it would bring some fun, but if it was a toss up between having the WBC implemented in the game or having continued "under the hood" improvements made to improve the game's statistical accuracy and overall efficiency, I'd choose the latter every time.

In all candor, I think the manner in which the WBC is currently setup is absolutely asinine anyway. I'd rather not see it added to OOTP the way in which it is currently constituted. I mean, pitch counts? Nothing, in my opinion, symbolizes the absolute pussification of modern baseball more in than the implementation of pitch counts. Can you imagine a 1968 version of the WBC in which Bob Gibson was removed from a game against Japan because he exceeded his pitch count? Anyone care to guess where Gibson would've told any manager dumb enough to make that particular trip to the mound where he could shove that rule?

Mercy Rule: There's no crying in baseball, and there's NO MERCY EITHER! I mean, WTF? Is this baseball, a sport played by grown men, or a pillow fight between preadolescent schoolgirls at a slumber party? It's not as if no team in the history of baseball, no matter how awful, has never come from a ten run deficit late in a game before. It may not be probable, but it sure is possible....and that's one of the many things that makes baseball great, or, at least, the way it used to be.

anyways.../soapbox.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
The re-write.

I know that it was worth it, the game is in a place far beyond what was possible if it was just built upon 6.5 for x more versions....

but if Markus came out and said that OOTP 16 was going to be written new from the ground up I think I would scream real loud at my monitor in the hopes the acoustic energy would be transmitted and he would hear.....

because that was painful.
Why would you risk damaging your larynx an auditory nerves over that? It's bound to happen sooner or later. The current game engine will be ten years old if/when 16 is released and will probably require a complete rewrite at some point.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Why would you risk damaging your larynx an auditory nerves over that? It's bound to happen sooner or later. The current game engine will be ten years old if/when 16 is released and will probably require a complete rewrite at some point.
Because things always get left out in re-writes. Unless there is an effort to allow more time for it to be made, and by that I mean like...split the development so that OOTP 16 is in development for like, 2 years and there is like a 15.5 released.....but then that just becomes too much to ask for an outfit like OOTP.

It happened back in 2006 in OOTP where features I became so used to having were gone.

Happened even earlier when SI came out with CM4, rebuilt from the ground up and things that had been in the game were gone and it takes several versions until the new gen is back up to par in terms of features.

There are still things that 6.5 + CatoBase had in terms of history and almanac that OOTP 14 will still not have.

If OOTP does get torn down and re-written, that will be a version I will most certainly skip.

Probably not.....