Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #61
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
If you want to bring up legitimate problems that you believe the game has, you're more than welcome. But you can save the trolling comments for other message boards. Clean it up or move along.
Clean it up? Seriously dude... Seriously?

How about YOU clean up the contingent of posters who FLAME anyone how has some sort of discrepancy with game?

I posted awhile back about something weird I saw with the base running WHICH HAD BEEN A DOCUMENTED ISSUE in the past.

Yet these people, who sound like a bunch of thumb sucking bed wetters, unloaded on me when I brought it up. And they do it to anyone who criticizes anything about this game. It's really tiresome and I'll stand up for anyone who is needlessly flamed because it happens WAY TO OFTEN for NO GOOD REASON.

It's a great game, absolutely. But there is nothing wrong with being critical at times.

And let me also say, there are a bunch really great people here. Very nice, helpful. I'm sure they out number the thumb suckers. I believe they do. But the whiners always have the loudest voice.

Was it wrong of me to fight back with fire after I was flamed? Yeah probably. I'll take the hit for that. But it was WAY MORE WRONG to throw fire in the first place. Was it wrong of the OP to call this game a piece of **** YES, absolutely. Bad, but notice that came after people started hurling rocks at him. Calling him a troll prior to that. All The poor guy did was bring up an issue he had a problem with. I'll tell ya something, HE isn't the troll.

Sorry man. It aint me. Manage your forum better. Stop the flaming. You'll get less trolls that way.

Oh btw:

The Slow Death of Aggressive Baserunning - Beyond the Box Score

Last edited by drksd4848; 11-14-2013 at 10:16 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #62
snepp
All Star Starter

"I'm not the problem."

*continues slinging insults*

Something isn't adding up here.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #63
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Why is this thread still here? Are all the mods on Fall Break?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #64
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
blah blah blah (paraphrased)
I would be more than willing to listen to you, if you ever once presented any evidence of your claims that wasn't anecdotal. You CLAIM that there's a problem with baserunning. That's perfectly fair. No one is saying this game is flawless. But when asked to present evidence of this problem, you refuse, and tell others to present their evidence instead. So they do, MULTIPLE times. More than one person has posted results that contradict your claims. And you completely ignore these posts, brushing them off and calling anyone who posts them a baby or an OOTP apologist.

All anyone has ever asked you for is some proof, some hard evidence that there's a problem with the baserunning in-game. Until you can provide that, no one's going to take you seriously, and no amount of name-calling is going to change that.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #65
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

This game isnt just luck you might have the lucky guy who will hit 30+ hr in a season after not even coming close before then suck 2 years later AKA Aaron Hill but its the way YOU make your team setup and the players you pick + the randomness makes this game fun, I have been playing this game since OOTP 5 and in years my teams have been just ok I have had stars play great but we just can't win in some great years I have had back up players Lead my team to a World series Title. I have had 126 win teams Out in ALDS because I just couldn't hit for 5 games. The luck of the draw is the interesting part of the game when you have your best hitters not playing well do you trade them for other players or ride it out or that guy with 9 contact 8 eye 6 Avoid k's hitting .260 4 seasons out of 6 then staring with another team.
Yes luck is a part of them game but if your Game isnt playing the way you want just start over.
I have a 3 Major League 1 Independent league that I Started in OOTP 12 it took me 6 different leagues to finally get the setup right and its not always right but if you dont want to get your moneys worth then dont TRY to.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #66
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Why is this thread still here? Are all the mods on Fall Break?
I agree, Wolf. This thread should be closed...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
I wanted to tell the OP to go play Statis Pro Baseball if he's sick of OOTP, but then I remembered it takes opposable thumbs to roll dice. . .

Statis -Pro didn't have any dice...It used "Fast Action Cards"
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Man, loved that game. Best part was the c64 controller slots fit with Atari joysticks!

Also:
The C64 was an AMAZING computer/gaming machine!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #69
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I would be more than willing to listen to you, if you ever once presented any evidence of your claims that wasn't anecdotal. You CLAIM that there's a problem with baserunning. That's perfectly fair. No one is saying this game is flawless. But when asked to present evidence of this problem, you refuse, and tell others to present their evidence instead. So they do, MULTIPLE times. More than one person has posted results that contradict your claims. And you completely ignore these posts, brushing them off and calling anyone who posts them a baby or an OOTP apologist.

All anyone has ever asked you for is some proof, some hard evidence that there's a problem with the baserunning in-game. Until you can provide that, no one's going to take you seriously, and no amount of name-calling is going to change that.
I'm glad you noted that you were paraphrasing the poster you quoted, otherwise I might have thought that's what he actually typed!

JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #70
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Is this thread still open?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #71
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Is this thread still open?
Yes, it is.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #72
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Why is this thread still open?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #73
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

No reason the thread should be closed. It's self-policing, and it's nowhere near out of hand. In fact, nothing untoward has transpired since you last asked it be closed.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #74
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
No reason the thread should be closed.
I think he wants us to quit bumping it.

Oops...
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #75
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
This thread can actually turn into a useful discussion if we ignore the trolling and talk about the following:

Do we indeed blame adverse results mostly on "bad luck", but good results on our "great managing talents"?
There was an article by Phil Birnbaum in The Baseball Research Journal #34 which asked the question: Which great teams were just lucky?

Of course, the first step is to define what is meant by 'lucky'. Birnbaum defined a team being lucky this way (quoting from the article):

(1) Its hitters have career years, playing better than their talent can support;
(2) Its pitchers have career years, playing better than their talent can support;
(3) It was more successful at turning base runners into runs;
(4) Its opposition was less successful at turning base runners into runs;
(5) It won more games than expected from its Runs Scored and Runs Allowed.

Birnbaum then puts all this together, crunched the numbers, and came up with a list of the 15 luckiest and unluckiest teams from 1960-2001. The luckiest? The 2001 Seattle Mariners (actual record, 116-46; luck-adjusted record, 89-73). The unluckiest? The 1962 New York Mets (actual record, 40-120; luck-adjusted record, 61-99).

It's an interesting read, worth checking out. I'm not certain but The Baseball Research Journal issue in question may be available to download for free from the SABR web site (I do know that numerous other issues are freely available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Newsflash: Most of life is luck.
At the quantum level, everything is just a probability. Random chance, in other words. Of course, at the macro level of human beings, we tend (prefer?) to see it differently.

It can be interesting, if nothing else. In the last ten days or so I've encountered three curious, small coincidences (could add a fourth actually). The chances of any one of these was low, but all three? Definitely very unlikely. But does it really mean something? I don't think so. The quantum probabilities simply came out that way. (Well, either that, or the universe was playing a practical joke on me. Damn you, universe! *shakes fist* )
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #76
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

This game is entirely about non-random luck.
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #77
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Best way to avoid a troll? Ignore the thread...ignoring trolling makes them fadeaway
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #78
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Clean it up? Seriously dude... Seriously?

How about YOU clean up the contingent of posters who FLAME anyone how has some sort of discrepancy with game?

I posted awhile back about something weird I saw with the base running WHICH HAD BEEN A DOCUMENTED ISSUE in the past.

Yet these people, who sound like a bunch of thumb sucking bed wetters, unloaded on me when I brought it up. And they do it to anyone who criticizes anything about this game. It's really tiresome and I'll stand up for anyone who is needlessly flamed because it happens WAY TO OFTEN for NO GOOD REASON.

It's a great game, absolutely. But there is nothing wrong with being critical at times.

And let me also say, there are a bunch really great people here. Very nice, helpful. I'm sure they out number the thumb suckers. I believe they do. But the whiners always have the loudest voice.

Was it wrong of me to fight back with fire after I was flamed? Yeah probably. I'll take the hit for that. But it was WAY MORE WRONG to throw fire in the first place. Was it wrong of the OP to call this game a piece of **** YES, absolutely. Bad, but notice that came after people started hurling rocks at him. Calling him a troll prior to that. All The poor guy did was bring up an issue he had a problem with. I'll tell ya something, HE isn't the troll.

Sorry man. It aint me. Manage your forum better. Stop the flaming. You'll get less trolls that way.

Oh btw:

The Slow Death of Aggressive Baserunning - Beyond the Box Score
Nobody told you to stop being critical. People who are critical of this game are the reason it's always getting better. I said to stop with the name calling, which is a reasonable request of anyone here, not just someone who posts a criticism of the game.

If you want people to take your baserunning complaint seriously, you need to do two things:

1.) Provide hard data to back up your complaint. Simply saying "it happens too much" or "it happens every single time" does not count. We need to know that you've played x amount of games and runners scored from second on base hits to LF y percent of the time. Until you fill in x and y, there's nothing anyone can do. (And just to save you some time, x needs to be a large amount of games. Otherwise, you'll be dismissed because of small sample size.)
2.) Stop insulting people who ask for hard data by calling them names. That is what flaming is, not what you claim is happening to you.

Good luck.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #79
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Statis -Pro didn't have any dice...It used "Fast Action Cards"
Ah right! I got my board games confused. It's been so long since I've opened one up and played, what with these newfangled computer dealies. . .
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #80
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote