Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Why do free agents ask for a ton...and then sign for half as much as I was offering?

I have this happen constantly. I'll get in a bidding war with other teams over, let's say a SP. Eventually it gets up to the point where I'll offer say 20M/year for 5 years, they come back asking for 22 because another team topped my offer, I'll knock it back to 21.5 or so, etc. Then all of a sudden it will say they signed with another team, I go and check it out, and they've signed for like 15M/year for 5 years, which was less than my INITIAL offer, let alone the ones myself and other teams were throwing at them. It's not even necessarily a good team they'll sign with. Can anyone explain this? This happens maybe once ever decade in real life baseball, it happens dozens of times every off season in OOTP.
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Where these teams hometown teams? I have seen at least twice where I got into a bidding war then he signs with his hometown team for less. Other then that I am sure Blue or RchW will have a better explanation.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Where these teams hometown teams? I have seen at least twice where I got into a bidding war then he signs with his hometown team for less. Other then that I am sure Blue or RchW will have a better explanation.
I haven't seen it happen with a hometown team yet
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
tds7887
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Players have different motivating factors besides money, including winning team, aforementioned home town team, etc. however I don't think the bargaining AI reflects this, hence your problem of a player always asking for more even though that's not his end priority. Although I imagine in real life a player will see how high the salary will go and weigh his options afterwards.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

this came up in my on-line league and this is the answer i gave

Quote:
i can offer insight in what the game is trying to simulate, but have nothing to offer on the underlining mechanics of how it works.

the game is attempting to simulate personal preference, maybe he doesn't want to play in cleveland because it's cleveland, or doesn't want to play in california because of taxes, maybe he doesn't like where he thinks he will end up on the depth chart, or just thinks the owner/gm/manager is a prick and doesn't want to work for him.

how does one simulate that without it seeming to be fairly random? i have no idea.

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 11-03-2013 at 03:28 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote