Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
xnickx5757
Minors (Single A)

AI Evaluation Settings

What player evaluation settings are you guys rolling with this year?

The default of 65/20/10/5 seems a bit too weighted towards ratings, I'm thinking of switching to 40/30/20/10 or something else.

Anyone find a good balance yet?
xnickx5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

50/30/15/5
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
50/30/15/5
I've been using the same settings since early in OOTP '17 with success.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

base it on the behaviour you see... get a decent baseline first, then change it and see what you notice.

more stats = more knee-jerk reaction to results. if you won't want the guy who's hitting .400 with pure luck through 2 months to replace a guy that is clearly better than him hin the lineup, but with less results in a small sample, then use less stats.

and vice versa. settings can influence the resulting effect... so ech person may give you good anecdotal info, but it may not apply to your league.

let the resulting behaviour dictate, not some hypothesis about player evaluation dictate what you choose.

it's mostly arbitrary what you choose, unless you do something extreme like 90/10 or 10/90 etc... nearing those points you may see drastically different behaviour.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

If you still want a bit more weighted towards ratings as opposed to stats, I would then recommend 55/25/15/5...I think either of the two discussed are pretty good, but I find 50/30/15/5 to be very good.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The default for the MLB roster set is 65/20/10/5 only to make the players appear similar to their real life counterparts, but it's not really optimal for AI behavior IMO
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
I've been using the same settings since early in OOTP '17 with success.
When you say you are using the same settings since early in OOTP 17 w/success, are you referencing the post by PSUColonel where he posted his/these settings?

Quote:
50/30/15/5
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...44&postcount=3

Thank you.

To Clarify;
I am asking because I just got back into OOTP with OOTP 17 (now OOTP 18) due to some issues out of my control, so I was on hiatus for quite some time. That said, I am still very new to certain things like AI evaluation and am looking for the 'best' results that would mirror/mimic the MLB around the 1960 era to the present 2010's. ANY suggestions would be great!! And, of course, I would still do my own DD (Due Diligence), yet still, I'd love to hear what the Long-timers here use as well.
vulcan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Quote:
If you still want a bit more weighted towards ratings as opposed to stats, I would then recommend 55/25/15/5...I think either of the two discussed are pretty good, but I find 50/30/15/5 to be very good.
Thank you, PSU
vulcan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
HonusWagner
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
How is the practical AI application of these settings determined or affected by whether player ratings are set at pure vs AI eval?
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Mat
All Star Reserve

I am against setting your own ratings to AI eval. These should stay on pure.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
How is the practical AI application of these settings determined or affected by whether player ratings are set at pure vs AI eval?
If you don't use AI eval then the settings under discussion are not used. Pure means ratings only.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I am against setting your own ratings to AI eval. These should stay on pure.
i agree for my eye, that's what i would prefer to see, for sure. but, it only affects overall, which is mostly ignored anyway except by the AI. it doesn't change what you see for contact, control, all the individual ratings etc..

the AI is the main reason i use this option, because the game is built to use it. just like having injuries on, trading, scouting innacuracy etc... same reason most probably like things somewhere near default on ai eval., too.

i think off is a vallid setting for the discussion, but if oyu have not played with it on, it may be worth checking out.

i've played both ways. you probably won't notice a huge difference. Also, if you drop accuracy below normal, it becomes more important to include stats for the AI... a human can just 'do' it... the ai has to be told to specifically include this year and last or whatever (it varies the gm strategies around that setting -- they are not all robotically the same ai evaluation.)

in fact, i'd guess that if you play 100% scouting, the game probably works better with 100% ratings. otherwise you'd just be hamstringing the ai with less confident info to work with.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 AM   #14
Anyone
Major Leagues

I go 40/40/15/5, with the idea that I want to see teams sometimes realistically play players who are playing well, even if they've actually just been lucky, as happens in real life.

To play fairly with that, I don't adjust downwards my view of the overall ratings of players having great years or vice versa, not allowing myself to mentally adjust for the overrating of players with good stats (and underrating of those with bad ones).
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #15
discodude5
Major Leagues

I'm experimenting with a different way of using these settings.

I think this approach could be used with other settings for weights.
Also I run a single fictional league so this might not work well with multiple leagues that have different offseasons

ratings, current yr, prev yr, 2 yr ago

Jan 1 and for first 40 games 40,10,35,15
40-80 games 40,30,20,10
80 games-Dec 31 30,50,15,5

Change on/after Jan 1 because of updated scouting.
From Jan 1 until pre season the current stats and last yr stats show the same so it's essentially like a total weight of 45.

My thoughts are low weight of 10 in current stats early in season helps with hot/cold starts in a small sample size.

I'm trying out the manager note in the managers office to set up a recurring reminder.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i know of at least one other post in the past that speaks in a similar way, you may want to search and see if he gives useful info, too.

i know someone does the trading settings dynamically depending on time of year, too.

if i weren't so absent minded, i'd defintieyl jump on these bandwagons. reminders would help, but it would be a chore to me eventually... i don't do well with those.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
HonusWagner
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5 View Post
I'm experimenting with a different way of using these settings.

I think this approach could be used with other settings for weights.
Also I run a single fictional league so this might not work well with multiple leagues that have different offseasons

ratings, current yr, prev yr, 2 yr ago

Jan 1 and for first 40 games 40,10,35,15
40-80 games 40,30,20,10
80 games-Dec 31 30,50,15,5

Change on/after Jan 1 because of updated scouting.
From Jan 1 until pre season the current stats and last yr stats show the same so it's essentially like a total weight of 45.

My thoughts are low weight of 10 in current stats early in season helps with hot/cold starts in a small sample size.

I'm trying out the manager note in the managers office to set up a recurring reminder.
This is interesting.

Re reminder -- just add it as a league event.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

The more I look at this...I believe the AI needs as much help as it can get to act rationally, therefore I am switching to the default of 65/20/10/5 and think it does the best job for the AI. If someone is absolutely hell bent on having more stats in the evaluation, then 55/25/15/5.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #19
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The default for the MLB roster set is 65/20/10/5 only to make the players appear similar to their real life counterparts, but it's not really optimal for AI behavior IMO

Quote:
The more I look at this...I believe the AI needs as much help as it can get to act rationally, therefore I am switching to the default of 65/20/10/5 and think it does the best job for the AI. If someone is absolutely hell bent on having more stats in the evaluation, then 55/25/15/5.

I told you so.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I told you so.
lol