Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #261
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Back OT here, does anyone know if Catchers have any impact on the pitchers perfromance? At the end of my current season I looked at the ERA of all the SP in my league that had over 100 IP and the average was 4.25. I eliminated the highest and lowest 10% that that brought it down to 3.98.

Then I looked at all the catchers who had over 400 PA (meaning it was more likely than not they caught most of each game they played) and their average CERA was 4.87. Once again I eliminated the highest and lowest 10% and that brought it down to 4.39.

That is a pretty big difference. If catching impacted pitching (as it does in real life) you'd think they would be a bit closer. Or am I thinking of this wrong?
What do the same stats look like in real life. Comparing them would be the only way to understand the significance.

Edit; You should not apply qualifiers to pitchers and catchers ERA and then suggest the results are significant. Use all pitchers and all catchers as they do in baseball reference. I realize that it might not be easy to get that info from OOTP.

Edit 2:

Duh I'm an idiot and you are wrong. Catcher ERA and Pitching ERA are identical. It's a zero sum game. Any catcher effect and it is disputable would be looking at individual catchers and comparing them to the league average ERA. Catchers on teams with good pitchers will generally look good. It is not a measure of catching influence these days.

Please Everyone, Stop Using Catcher ERA - Beyond the Box Score

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-06-2015 at 07:28 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #262
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Thanks!
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #263
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Another stats only fan here. My problem comes when I start a new world. After the initial draft there are no free agents. Then the minors start running out of players. How do I keep players available using feeders?
ecd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #264
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1973 View Post
Another stats only fan here. My problem comes when I start a new world. After the initial draft there are no free agents. Then the minors start running out of players. How do I keep players available using feeders?
"Fill all teams with fictional players"
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #265
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Ok I see what's going on...took me awhile, but I see it. When the ratings and the written scouting report don't match (usually a declining player) it is an obvious indication the player is about to drop off...the AI sees it, now I can too. So what I have decided to do, is set AI evaluation to stats only, but keep ratings displayed at the 2-8 level, as to not see drop offs. As I said, in this case, the ratings are nothing more than a representation of what the written report says anyway....the beauty in stats only, is the evaluation, and how players are treated without foresight of decline.
PSUColonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 AM   #266
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

The one problem I still have though...how does the AI account for defensive skills on stats only?

Also...speed?

Last edited by PSUColonel; 01-13-2015 at 02:40 AM.
PSUColonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #267
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I don't agree with the notion that the AI will not look at ratings. I set mine to the recommended 0/50/33/17 and this still happened. In what baseball universe would it be ok for a guy to spend the 1990 season bouncing around from AA-AAA-ML after a spectacular 1989 season? His 1990 stats are not even that bad. And he was not injured.
Attached Images

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #268
slugga27
All Star Starter

Well, more info is needed here, in my opinion. Player age, years of service, maybe even injury history....anything that may have caused him to bounce around. It could have been a logjam at his position within the organization.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #269
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I don't agree with the notion that the AI will not look at ratings. I set mine to the recommended 0/50/33/17 and this still happened. In what baseball universe would it be ok for a guy to spend the 1990 season bouncing around from AA-AAA-ML after a spectacular 1989 season? His 1990 stats are not even that bad. And he was not injured.
Is that a fictional player or a real player effected by recalc?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #270
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Well, more info is needed here, in my opinion. Player age, years of service, maybe even injury history....anything that may have caused him to bounce around. It could have been a logjam at his position within the organization.
None of the above. Everyone's ratings were a zero. But ratings shouldn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Is that a fictional player or a real player effected by recalc?
All fictional

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #271
Hosierbgc
Bat Boy

i'm trying stats only for the first time and i have followed everything that has been said in the post.... i'm struggling very hard maybe i'm not picking up which stats matter most.... how often are you making decisions on lineup adjustments, demotion / promotions etc. and do you manage the games or just gm.... i
Hosierbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #272
USF
All Star Starter

My friends and I are going to start a SO league. thanks for everyones great input here. Seems like a perfect fit for those that got bored with winning with the regular routine and wants an added challenge and fun.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote