Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Player Roles broken?

I noticed that whenever I give obvious offensive defencemen the 'offensive defenceman' role, they become Angry. They're only content with being 'defensive defencemen' or 'two-way defencemen'.

For example, I have one defenceman who has an 'Offensive read' of 16 and 'Defensive read' of 12. I made him an 'Offensive defenceman' and how he's angry.

This seems to happen for a lot of players when I change their role. Like I change a player with a 'Shooting accuracy' of 14 from an 'Offensive forward' to a 'goalscorer' and he becomes Unhappy. But turn him into a 'two-way forward' and he's fine.

Just seems like most players favour general roles. For forwards, either 'offensive forward' or 'two-way forward' and for defence either 'defensive defenceman' or 'two-way defenceman'.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Can you give me some specific examples? It's easier to check for a problem if I know the exact players involved.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Can you give me some specific examples? It's easier to check for a problem if I know the exact players involved.
I traded for Kevin Shattenkirk and tried to switch his role to OD and he became angry and wouldn't sign a contract extension.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
KorbenDallasMultipass
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I lived something similar. I cant grantee it at this point... but I pretty much remember the new role being a better fit for the ratings in my opinion. So I did not understand why the player would have been angry.
KorbenDallasMultipass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
These aren't really popular players, since my Path to Glory game is starting in the Netherlands.

Mats Mostue, RD, Stavanger Oilers
He was by default a defensive defenceman.

His ratings:
Offensive read: 16
Defensive read: 11

Tim Kunes, LD, Stavanger Oilers
Ratings:
Passing: 15
Puckhandling: 15
Offensive read: 12

I changed both to offensive defencemen and they're angry.

For a forward example:

Peter Lorentzen, LW, Stavanger Oilers
Ratings:
Offensive read: 14
Passing, Puckhandling, Shooting Accuracy and Range: 13
Defensive Read: 9

If I remember correctly, his major role was a two-way forward. I changed him to be an offensive forward and he's unhappy.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Something's definitely not right, I checked the data for all the guys mentioned, Shattenkirk and the Norwegians, and they all should've been fine with the offered roles. Going to have to investigate further.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
pens66
Major Leagues

For what it's worth: Bobby Clarke won't accept a playmaker role for me in a historical game. He only ever accepts two-way player.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
DFyvie
Major Leagues

I found that this was an issue with fhm2. You'd see an obvious 2-way defenseman as per his ratings.. you would change his role to suit his obvious ratings and he would get angry. TJ Brodie with the Flames gets angry when you change him from a DD to an OD. He seems alright with being a 2-way D however.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66 View Post
For what it's worth: Bobby Clarke won't accept a playmaker role for me in a historical game. He only ever accepts two-way player.
In both FHM 2 and 3 I've yet to see a player become unhappy or angry when given a two-way forward position. That's like the universal accepted role in the games.

In a beta playthrough, I think I had an entire team of two-way forwards in the FHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
I found that this was an issue with fhm2. You'd see an obvious 2-way defenseman as per his ratings.. you would change his role to suit his obvious ratings and he would get angry. TJ Brodie with the Flames gets angry when you change him from a DD to an OD. He seems alright with being a 2-way D however.
Yup, witnessed the same thing in FHM 2, too. Two-way positions seem okay, more specific positions like powerforward or sniper are hard to find, regardless of attributes.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:26 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, I think I've traced the problem back to the original design, I defined acceptability for roles too tightly for defencemen in particular. Easy enough to change (although it'll have to wait for the third update unless we have to hold back the second tomorrow for some other reason.)