Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #21
pilight
All Star Starter

That was a terrible brawl. A good brawl would have some blood or missing teeth. I doubt anyone even has a bruise from that faux fight.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #22
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
That was a terrible brawl. A good brawl would have some blood or missing teeth. I doubt anyone even has a bruise from that faux fight.
Cobra Mgr said he'd "Heard on the radio that the area of the fight is the disabled section." I doubt you would think it had been a "good brawl" by your parameters if you had a son or daughter sitting in that area.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-23-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #23
Reed
All Star Starter

The worse basketball brawl I have ever seen, on the news, was the brawl between Minnesota Ohio State in 1972. It’s on YouTube if you would like to see it. The 2 Minnesota players were suspended the rest of the year.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #24
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
The worse basketball brawl I have ever seen, on the news, was the brawl between Minnesota Ohio State in 1972. It’s on YouTube if you would like to see it. The 2 Minnesota players were suspended the rest of the year.
That's the team Dave Winfield was on, correct?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #25
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The Big T1e4n gave this player 2 games for stepping on a player. The same amount the 12ish gave McCormack for kicking a player into the stands.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #26
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
That's the team Dave Winfield was on, correct?
You sir are correct, although I do not believe he was a participant in the brawl.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #27
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
You sir are correct, although I do not believe he was a participant in the brawl.
No, no, he was... http://www.startribune.com/hoops-bra...ory/411419775/

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #28
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Good grief. What is the back story there? Did Luke Witte do something to make the Gophers think he deserved to get kneed in the groin and then stomped in the head?
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #29
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber_Tagged_Him View Post
Good grief. What is the back story there? Did Luke Witte do something to make the Gophers think he deserved to get kneed in the groin and then stomped in the head?
From Witte's wikipedia page.

"According to the Big Ten Conference's review of the game film, Witte appeared to elbow Minnesota guard Bobby Nix as the two teams headed to their locker rooms at halftime."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Witte
Rain King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #30
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
And violence. The people love them some violence.

Probably that's why they love punishment. Punishment usually being some sort of physical or emotional violence.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #31
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Probably that's why they love punishment. Punishment usually being some sort of physical or emotional violence.
Wrong there, CB, at least concerning some people; most people, hopefully.

Punishment is the way that civilized societies control the worst impulses of human behavior. It is an absolute necessity, was in the beginning of human interaction, and will forever be no matter how advanced we and our technology become. The alternative is a slow, or rapid, descent into anarchy followed by totalitarianism.

Which is going far afield when talking about a stupid juvenile fight, I admit, but it's all part and parcel of the same thing and it must get done.

When somebody's actions or negligence hurt somebody else, they need to be punished to a degree commensurate with their transgression. So that I, or somebody I love, can sit at courtside without fear of being injured.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #32
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
to
Punishment is the way that civilized societies control the worst impulses of human behavior.
Perhaps we define "civilized" differently.

You might find that some of our societies that you find, relatively, un"civilized" are very big on punishment. There's probably reasons for that correlation.

That's not to say that there should never be punishment. But we're way too free with it. It should be reserved for certain types of transgressions and transgressors not the first course of action for everybody.

Punishment for transgressions performed in the heat of the moment (like a fight) would seem to have little deterrent effect. Few people when about to fight are thinking about the pros and cons of engaging in that activity.

Punishment for things like white collar crimes would seem to be more effective since those plans are actively planned out and the perpetrators are going through a process of consideration before commiting the crime.

People who are deemed to be a future threat to others/society because they have committed a heat of the moment transgression may need to be "shielded" in some way from society (or vice versa) but that's not, necessarily, punishment.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 01-27-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #33
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Perhaps we define "civilized" differently.

You might find that some of our societies that you find, relatively, un"civilized" are very big on punishment. There's probably reasons for that correlation.

That's not to say that there should never be punishment. But we're way too free with it. It should be reserved for certain types of transgressions and transgressors not the first course of action for everybody.

Punishment for transgressions performed in the heat of the moment (like a fight) would seem to have little deterrent effect. Few people when about to fight are thinking about the pros and cons of engaging in that activity.

Punishment for things like white collar crimes would seem to be more effective since those plans are actively planned out and the perpetrators are going through a process of consideration before commiting the crime.

People who are deemed to be a future threat to others/society because they have committed a heat of the moment transgression may need to be "shielded" in some way from society (or vice versa) but that's not, necessarily, punishment.
I agree with you. A very good explanation. But some more than others have better control of their emotions. Ultimately heat of the moment is an excuse, but a valid one. That doesn't mean you don't have to take responsibility for your actions in the form of punishment. This regardless of whether or not it would deter you in the future. If the punishment is strict enough, you may never have a chance to be a repeat offender.

Everyone wants to shoot the guy sleeping with their wife. Some do, most don't. Not because they don't care as much, but for fear of punishment.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #34
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Everyone wants to shoot the guy sleeping with their wife. Some do, most don't. Not because they don't care as much, but for fear of punishment.
I don't know that the one's who don't are afraid of punishment as much as recognize that murder is wrong. There are temptations that we all face every day, large and small. At least for myself, fear of punishment is not what stops me.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #35
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
But some more than others have better control of their emotions. Ultimately heat of the moment is an excuse, but a valid one. That doesn't mean you don't have to take responsibility for your actions
Sure

Quote:
in the form of punishment.
Nope. No reason it needs to be punishment

Quote:
This regardless of whether or not it would deter you in the future. If the punishment is strict enough, you may never have a chance to be a repeat offender.
I assume you're talking about the death penalty.
Nope

Quote:
Everyone wants to shoot the guy sleeping with their wife.
Nope. Not everyone does

Quote:
Some do, most don't. Not because they don't care as much, but for fear of punishment.
Nope
As Boomcoach said, some people just realize that murdering people is bad

Again, all you show is how ingrained the idea of violence as a solution for problems is in some peoples' minds

Last edited by CBeisbol; 01-29-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: https://youtu.be/8_wMBZLMLGA
Old 02-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #36
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I don't know that the one's who don't are afraid of punishment as much as recognize that murder is wrong. There are temptations that we all face every day, large and small. At least for myself, fear of punishment is not what stops me.
I concede, you're right. I was making a general statement. But I agree that your scenario is far more common than mine.

But there are also temptations we face that we do decide to not do for fear of punishment. It's not always because we think it's wrong.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #37
pilight
All Star Starter

Speaking of basket-brawls

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/02/04/t...n-court-brawl/
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote