Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #1481
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Until you realize that your 9/10 year old kids start to live in the past

Before, I would always hear names of players on current MLB teams and cards that they traded with friends.
Now they talk about Aparicio, Gwynn, Cronin, Boudreax and lots of other names that make no sense to any of their buddies.

As he jogged to first base the other week, he looks over and yells that he will have an average of Rod Carew tonight. All parents turned their heads to me and looked clueless....I could tell nobody else on the bleachers around us played OOTP.

Or when you pick them up from school (on Jackie Robison day) and you hear that he told his teacher that Jackie Robinson should not have played baseball every day. "He should have platooned since he hits LHPs a lot better". Priceless!!!

We are happy....ever since they got into OOTP, they dropped all their interest in the popular violent games and they quickly learned what works and how to compete with lesser players/teams.
I was lucky like your kids. My Dad and my Granddad took me to games, watched the Saturday game of the week(the only game on TV then except the WS) with PeeWee Reese and Dizzy Dean with me and told me stories of the old timers. My Dad was heavily involved with youth baseball from Little League up. It is heartwarming indeed to see Fathers like you taking the time to teach the great game.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #1482
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Until you realize that your 9/10 year old kids start to live in the past

Before, I would always hear names of players on current MLB teams and cards that they traded with friends.
Now they talk about Aparicio, Gwynn, Cronin, Boudreax and lots of other names that make no sense to any of their buddies.

As he jogged to first base the other week, he looks over and yells that he will have an average of Rod Carew tonight. All parents turned their heads to me and looked clueless....I could tell nobody else on the bleachers around us played OOTP.

Or when you pick them up from school (on Jackie Robison day) and you hear that he told his teacher that Jackie Robinson should not have played baseball every day. "He should have platooned since he hits LHPs a lot better". Priceless!!!

We are happy....ever since they got into OOTP, they dropped all their interest in the popular violent games and they quickly learned what works and how to compete with lesser players/teams.

I'd rather kids be talking about great things like baseball than anything that they shouldn't be talking about at that age. Friendly debates about the better players is always healthy

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #1483
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
The Roadrunners made a big move to take command of Our League Gold.
Don't know how it's happening as I can't seem to beat anyone else and am barely over .500 in the league overall.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #1484
Diezwraths
Minors (Single A)

Rookie Season

In Janesville Onyx's rookie OL season, and first in Bronze, results have pretty much gone as expected. Expectations were for around .500 ball, potentially a tad above if the luck went their way. Sitting at .460, improvements are needed and they were anticipated.

The rest of this season has been deemed as a trial and training for the most part. Relegation not a concern at the moment.

A defense first team during Iron infancy, this resulted in quick acceleration without much research. Late in Iron season, the batting stats looked abysmal in advance for what was assumed to be a promotion. A few additions were made to make the roster compliant, and the replacements have been a mixed bag. Pitching has been tougher than expected, even with the expectation that a few players would struggle.

Main items to sort out - All pitching frankly, corner OFs (multiple of the same type of player, poor platoon matching), and DH.

DH was a surprise as 82 H. Johnson looked the part in Iron and from ratings, Bronze has been tough sledding for him with a .212 avg and .297 OBP. Extreme pull and low avoid k appear to be the culprit, despite being a flyball hitter.

Surprises:
D. Donovan, 77, P
C. Singleton, 74, OF
T. Moore, 79, OF

Disappointments:
H. Johnson, 82, 3B (DH)
P. Quantrill, 73, RP
Attempted LF converts (79 Guererro, 79 Oliva)

F2P Packs
Diezwraths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #1485
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezwraths View Post
In Janesville Onyx's rookie OL season, and first in Bronze, results have pretty much gone as expected. Expectations were for around .500 ball, potentially a tad above if the luck went their way. Sitting at .460, improvements are needed and they were anticipated.

The rest of this season has been deemed as a trial and training for the most part. Relegation not a concern at the moment.

A defense first team during Iron infancy, this resulted in quick acceleration without much research. Late in Iron season, the batting stats looked abysmal in advance for what was assumed to be a promotion. A few additions were made to make the roster compliant, and the replacements have been a mixed bag. Pitching has been tougher than expected, even with the expectation that a few players would struggle.

Main items to sort out - All pitching frankly, corner OFs (multiple of the same type of player, poor platoon matching), and DH.

DH was a surprise as 82 H. Johnson looked the part in Iron and from ratings, Bronze has been tough sledding for him with a .212 avg and .297 OBP. Extreme pull and low avoid k appear to be the culprit, despite being a flyball hitter.

Surprises:
D. Donovan, 77, P
C. Singleton, 74, OF
T. Moore, 79, OF

Disappointments:
H. Johnson, 82, 3B (DH)
P. Quantrill, 73, RP
Attempted LF converts (79 Guererro, 79 Oliva)
I followed Johnson as a kid and so hoped he would do well for me. He always completely sucked. A strikeout machine with horrible defense.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #1486
Diezwraths
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I followed Johnson as a kid and so hoped he would do well for me. He always completely sucked. A strikeout machine with horrible defense.
I never played him at defense. Refused to even give him the chance.

F2P Packs
Diezwraths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 AM   #1487
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I look forward to meeting them when they get going in OL. They are excellent young managers!
They will be thrilled to hear that.

Both of our teams had terrible pack luck so it will be a slower than expected mission towards the higher leagues.

Worst of all, I went very quickly to the top legends with my other team so I have very little first hand experience with the lower level players.
It will be fun to trial some new players from the lower levels.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:22 AM   #1488
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

Both of our teams had terrible pack luck so it will be a slower than expected mission towards the higher leagues.

Worst of all, I went very quickly to the top legends with my other team so I have very little first hand experience with the lower level players.
That's the shame of advancing. The pool of players that you can use shrinks. A lot of the lower level players are fun to use, especially the ones who stink at defense.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #1489
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
I'd rather kids be talking about great things like baseball than anything that they shouldn't be talking about at that age. Friendly debates about the better players is always healthy
I could not agree more. I always find it sad to see kids that are all serious, worried, and forced to grow up way too fast.

We are fortunate to live in a city that is kid friendly when it comes to sport events and the stadiums & teams try hard to invest in the next generation of fans.

OOTP is a great extension of the game...plus the audience tends to be well spoken and mannered (for the most part).

Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #1490
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
That's the shame of advancing. The pool of players that you can use shrinks. A lot of the lower level players are fun to use, especially the ones who stink at defense.
The Holy Trinity -- Rod Carew, Bill Madlock, and Steve Sax.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #1491
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I was lucky like your kids. My Dad and my Granddad took me to games, watched the Saturday game of the week(the only game on TV then except the WS) with PeeWee Reese and Dizzy Dean with me and told me stories of the old timers. My Dad was heavily involved with youth baseball from Little League up. It is heartwarming indeed to see Fathers like you taking the time to teach the great game.
Very nice to read. I find baseball to be one of the few sports that works great on the radio. Personally, I like playing OOTP with a game on in the background. Thanks to Internet radio, you can find almost all the top broadcasters that have some really amazing stories to tell about this game.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #1492
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:

The way things are going, I should still be in bronze when they're ready to step up to the Our League competition (remember, the New York Patriots have yet to win a playoff game). I'll be waiting for them so they can be the next to send me into eternal baseball disappointment come playoff time

Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #1493
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
The way things are going, I should still be in bronze when they're ready to step up to the Our League competition (remember, the New York Patriots have yet to win a playoff game). I'll be waiting for them so they can be the next to send me into eternal baseball disappointment come playoff time
We will try to be there soon.
I don't recall the exact league placement criteria (win percentage). I assume we will be in Iron/Bronze before climbing to Silver.

The kids went all in for a good catcher before realizing that they were a bit too fast. So now the replacement of all the live players is a bit slow and painful.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #1494
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
The Holy Trinity -- Rod Carew, Bill Madlock, and Steve Sax.
Madlock sure can hit. Bernie isn't bad either.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #1495
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Aina Haina's next seven games are against Green Lake and Battery Point. Yikes.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #1496
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Waffletown Holds on as Race Tightens

The Syrups, despite losing 2-of-3 Our League (OL) games, still held the top spot in S251, but a little less securely. Bluffton continued its steady climb, while Asylum got into the mix and Annadale took steps to turn their season around. Only the fading Mundys would seem to have little chance, but they still have 27 OL contests on the schedule. Also, I finally remembered to cut all the white space from the bottom of the standings.
Attached Images
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #1497
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I207 Update

Stephensville remains on top of I207 but Victoria is making a push. Each of the top four teams has 17+ OL games remaining on their schedule so each team controls its own fate, and a hot streak could decide the championship. Who will wilt and who will thrive in the dog days of summer?

Code:
Our League Standings - I207 - Aug 5, 2027			
			 W	 L	Pct
Stephensville Bears	20	11	.645
Victoria Vikings	25	14	.641
Frankenthal Retros	23	18	.561
Mudville Muffins	19	16	.543
Motown Stars		21	20	.512
Pa Athletic Club	14	14	.500
Melaka Armada		22	23	.489
Arkham Horrors		 8	11	.421
Fancher Creek Pirates	12	19	.387
Gotham Knights		 9	27	.250

space
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #1498
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezwraths View Post

Disappointments:
H. Johnson, 82, 3B (DH)
I had HoJo on the Monuments for a year - tried platooning him with Tony Perez at 3B. But his defense sucks and he hit for me about the same way he hit for you. He *did* get the 20/20 achievement (20 HR/20 SB) so it wasn't a total loss. But I dumped him after less than a year. I agree that his low "Avoid K" rating torpedoes his chance of success.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #1499
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
The Syrups, despite losing 2-of-3 Our League (OL) games, still held the top spot in S251, but a little less securely. Bluffton continued its steady climb, while Asylum got into the mix and Annadale took steps to turn their season around. Only the fading Mundys would seem to have little chance, but they still have 27 OL contests on the schedule. Also, I finally remembered to cut all the white space from the bottom of the standings.
should be a good race to the finish.....

in overall Silver standings.... Waffletown and Shasta lead their respective divisions (6.5 and 5.5 game leads respectively).... with Salem and Palolo right on the cusp of the second wild card spot (of course, with 60ish games remaining, everyone is still in the hunt)

side note: I'll be away from 5/25 - 6/1, so the Syrups will be on auto-pilot for the final stretch/playoffs. One big favor to ask of someone in the Silver leagues.... once the regular season is done, at some point on Sunday, if someone can grab a screenshot of the 'league fielding stats' page with the Waffletown stats; and a screenshot of the 'team vs team' report showing the Waffletown section (for my tracking sheet.... the website link only gives overall standings / batting & pitching stats; but no fielding/team-v-team).
Attached Images
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #1500
Magus978
All Star Starter

The state of play in B248...some minor changes and corrections that don't warrant a screenshot, but I can tell you that this is how it looks.

Daytona Beach (3-2, .600): 2 Home (vs PHI), 3 Away (3 @ NYP)
Ozark (6-4, .600): 3 Home (3 vs PHI), 7 Away (4 @ JAN, 3 @ ASH)
New York (7-5, .583): 3 Home (3 vs DB)
Asheboro (12-12, .500): 7 Home (3 vs JAN, 4 vs OZ), 3 Away (3 @ JAN)
Philadelphia (10-12, .454): 5 Away (2 @ DB, 3 @ OZ)
Janesville (8-10, .444): 10 Home (4 vs OZ, 6 vs ASH), 2 Away (2 @ ASH)

Won't be much activity in the league today, but Daytona Beach have 2 critical games against Philadelphia that may go a long way towards defining their crown chances. Ozark have 4 at Janesville this sim, and a good performance there could essentially knock New York out of the running and make this a two-team race. New York's last three OL games come in mid-September, and if they're still in the hunt for the crown by then, those will be very interesting. Asheboro are .500 and are very much alive, but they have 3 more at Janesville to deal with today. Speaking of Janesville, they stand to make a huge move IF they can put on a good show against Ozark and Asheville, both ahead of them in the table.

Nobody's out of it yet, but teams will begin to fall by the wayside as the days grow longer and time grows shorter in the 2027 season. Also, I have just realized that I'm pretty damn good at these write-up things.