Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Rookie250
Minors (Single A)

Losing Record

I have started a couple of seasons just to play around with different things to get use to playing the game (first time to play OOTP). I am playing with the Rangers and I understand they are not going to be the greatest this year but I cannot get them even close to .500.

This last new season I created I signed Hector Olivera, traded for Cole Hammels and took Yu off of the DL for the year just to see if I could have a better season. However through the first 48 games I am 13-35 worse than I have been in the other seasons I started.

I am a new player so I am sure there is a learning curve but I must be doing something wrong!

Any tips or hints as to how to fix...
Rookie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

First, accept that fact that sometimes you just don't get breaks. I started with the Rangers too, and I'm something like 5-12 (still in April). My offense is pretty good (top 5 or so last I checked), but I'm hemorrhaging runs.

What I'd do is check your team stats (under Team Info) and see where you're strong (or not so strong), and then go digging to see which players are the biggest culprits. Then you can decide if you think it's a fluke and they'll get better, or you can toss them and find someone else.

Just remember, unless your intent is just to play the one season, you also have to keep the long view and not dump a guy like Rougned Odor just because he's only hitting .175 the first month.....no, that's not happening to me....don't look at me like that. :P
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
Rookie250
Minors (Single A)

Thanks, I agree. It's tough seeing Yu and Cole put up 6+ era in first five outing and be 0-3.
Rookie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie250 View Post
Thanks, I agree. It's tough seeing Yu and Cole put up 6+ era in first five outing and be 0-3.
Tough, but not beyond the realm of possibility though, right? I mean, on May 17th of last year, Clayton Edward Kershaw was 2-1 in 4 starts (team went 2-2) with a 4.43 ERA. The good news is that the rest of the way, he went 19-2 in 23 starts (team went 21-2) with a 1.43 ERA. Who knows? Maybe that'll happen for you, but you've gotta play to find out.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie250 View Post
I have started a couple of seasons just to play around with different things to get use to playing the game (first time to play OOTP). I am playing with the Rangers and I understand they are not going to be the greatest this year but I cannot get them even close to .500.

This last new season I created I signed Hector Olivera, traded for Cole Hammels and took Yu off of the DL for the year just to see if I could have a better season. However through the first 48 games I am 13-35 worse than I have been in the other seasons I started.

I am a new player so I am sure there is a learning curve but I must be doing something wrong!

Any tips or hints as to how to fix...
I kind of like the Billy Beane approach, if he can see it not working he's not afraid to wheel and deal giving the roster till June , making big roster moves by All Star break. Then watch how it goes until season's end.

Last edited by Dr.K; 03-28-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
perez24
Minors (Double A)

I don't think it has as much with your being new than it does with playing a team that isn't particularly good. It looks like you've made some moves to improve, but you have to play the season for awhile to see how they turn out.

Realize too that there aren't many (if any) cheats in the game other than editing players that will take a bad roster and turn it into a good team...I've played the Reds long enough to learn that!
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote