Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
JZ Temple
Minors (Single A)

Question Need some real rookie help on defensive position settings

OK, I admit it, I'm not very knowledgeable on the game of baseball. Sims I'm good at, business I understand, but I'm out of my depth when it comes to things like setting the infield and outfield defense positions. For instance, when is it a good time to play the corners in versus the whole infield? Would you ever play the infield in and the outfield deep? Those are just example questions, what I'm hoping is that someone could post a link to a site that explains the whole concept of defensive positioning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JZ Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ Temple View Post
OK, I admit it, I'm not very knowledgeable on the game of baseball. Sims I'm good at, business I understand, but I'm out of my depth when it comes to things like setting the infield and outfield defense positions. For instance, when is it a good time to play the corners in versus the whole infield? Would you ever play the infield in and the outfield deep? Those are just example questions, what I'm hoping is that someone could post a link to a site that explains the whole concept of defensive positioning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Let's see if I can at least get the infield question correct, at least in general terms.

Corners in - Usually done when you are expecting a bunt. For example, if you expect a pitcher to sac bunt the runner on first over to second.

Infield In (assuming we are not talking double play depth) is, I believe, done to try and cut down the runner at home on ground ball .
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ Temple View Post
Corners in when you expect a bunt. Infield in if you want to keep a run from scoring. Play the outfield back against a thumper unless you want to try and gun down the runner from third. Also, protect the corners late in the game to avoid a double or triple down the line.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Harry katz
Bat Boy

Another time for corners in would be late in the game with 1 out and you want your first and third baseman to get the guy out at the plate but because it is quicker you trust your middle infielders to turn two. Infield in is when you need to stop the run from scoring on any ground ball. Infield in and outfield in only happens with less then 2 outs in the bottom of the last inning with the winning run at 3. I can't really think of a situation where the infield would be in and the outfield playing deep. But in a 1st and 3rd situation late in a game with 1 out you might find corners in with a no doubles (deep) outfield.
Harry katz is offline   Reply With Quote