Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
djcubez
Bat Boy

How much should I really pay attention to player ratings?

Last edited by djcubez; 05-19-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: no replies
djcubez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
djcubez
Bat Boy

Last edited by djcubez; 05-19-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: frustration
Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
El Muneco
Bat Boy

Wish I could reply to the OP in detail, but it's not there anymore...

In any case, I find that in OOTP14, ratings tell a story, but that story might not be the one you expect from other games.

Over a long period, when they have time to settle, I find the predictive power is pretty good. In particular for backups, however, it gets hard to separate the signal from the noise. I have a habit of using "professional reserves" that I picked up in other games, and it's really common for one of them to go 62, 48, 37 over a few years of little use without any real change in his underlying ratings.

Over a short period, yeah - there are a fair number of players who you first notice at a 59 overall that exceed that level for a couple of years before the rating catches up, and vice versa. This is doubly true near the beginning of a new game, which I think I remember the OP said he was doing.
El Muneco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #4
djcubez
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Muneco View Post
Wish I could reply to the OP in detail, but it's not there anymore...

In any case, I find that in OOTP14, ratings tell a story, but that story might not be the one you expect from other games.

Over a long period, when they have time to settle, I find the predictive power is pretty good. In particular for backups, however, it gets hard to separate the signal from the noise. I have a habit of using "professional reserves" that I picked up in other games, and it's really common for one of them to go 62, 48, 37 over a few years of little use without any real change in his underlying ratings.

Over a short period, yeah - there are a fair number of players who you first notice at a 59 overall that exceed that level for a couple of years before the rating catches up, and vice versa. This is doubly true near the beginning of a new game, which I think I remember the OP said he was doing.
I apologize for removing it. I did so because the majority of the post was venting out of frustration rather than being useful. I felt embarrassed about it, and didn't think the negativity had anything positive to it (funny, right?). Thanks for your feedback though!

On another note, I made an interesting discovery today; I was looking through my team stats around the trade deadline and my bullpen was dismal. I traded for different relievers, sent guys down, brought guys up, etc., but I couldn't improve the performance at all. I play in one-pitch mode, and often when I bring in a reliever with men already on base they score quite often. Today my SP got hurt so I had to replace him with a reliever. For the first time I saw the "Bullpen" and felt like an idiot. I had been sending in all my relievers cold all season! No wonder they'd come into the game and blow it!

The more I play, the more I learn. Also, starting in late July, Ryan Braun (a player I was complaining about) has raised his average from .253 to .275 in a span of 30ish days. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on him.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond! I'm used to playing these games in simulation mode as GM and this is the first time I'm taking an active role as the manager during games using one-pitch. It's a lot of fun!

EDIT: Can you warm up a pitcher for too long in the bullpen? And does having a pitcher in the bullpen tire them at all? Thanks!

Last edited by djcubez; 05-22-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: grammar; new question
Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
El Muneco
Bat Boy

Can't help with game management, since I'm still GMing from 30000 feet...

Not surprised Braun is coming around, especially at the beginning of a new game it's really easy to be too frustrated to give things time to settle. I'm getting kind of jaded, actually, I'll give a guy too much time to justify his high ratings, especially if it's, say, a middle reliever with ERA consistently in the 4s.

I had a moment like your "bullpen" thing the first two careers I played for reals. I delegated almost everything properly so that I could be just GM and my teams would run themselves under oversight. But I neglected to give my manager control over the lineup... So he spent the entire season trying to play the opening day lineup on short rest and only substituting when players physically couldn't drag themselves onto the field. My #1 starter started over 50 games, but still had under 300 IP because he was always on two or three days' rest.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
djcubez
Bat Boy

Quote:
Can't help with game management, since I'm still GMing from 30000 feet...

Not surprised Braun is coming around, especially at the beginning of a new game it's really easy to be too frustrated to give things time to settle. I'm getting kind of jaded, actually, I'll give a guy too much time to justify his high ratings, especially if it's, say, a middle reliever with ERA consistently in the 4s.

I had a moment like your "bullpen" thing the first two careers I played for reals. I delegated almost everything properly so that I could be just GM and my teams would run themselves under oversight. But I neglected to give my manager control over the lineup... So he spent the entire season trying to play the opening day lineup on short rest and only substituting when players physically couldn't drag themselves onto the field. My #1 starter started over 50 games, but still had under 300 IP because he was always on two or three days' rest.
Oh wow, that's crazy! I'll definitely make sure to keep combing through settings to make sure this doesn't happen.

Right now I'm dealing with a...situation. I traded for Billingsley who immediately become my number 2 starter in between Gallardo and Lohse. He got hurt a week ago for the 3 months (rest of the season). Then I played a game today and on the first out of the game Gallardo got hurt for 4-5 months (rest of the season). I managed to scrape through with my bullpen and win that game. The very next game, Lohse got hurt in the sixth inning for 3 weeks (not rest of season). I got through the game but didn't win. But now I have three AAA starters filling out my staff and my #4 and #5 starters are now currently my #1 and #2 starters.

Just no luck this year. Kinda glad it was already a losing season.

EDIT: It makes me wonder, is there a way I could talk to the owner and say "come on man, you can't fire me based on this season. All top 3 starters got hurt for the last two months of the season."

EDIT 2: Okay this is getting ridiculous. My very next game Lucroy goes out for the rest of the season in the first inning. I literally have played only the three games since I opened this session of OOTP and lost Gallardo, Lohse and Lucroy for the season in each game. Talk about bad luck...

EDIT 3: I am not kidding but Mike Fiers, my starter just got hurt in the third inning (out for 7 weeks). Same game I lost Lucroy. Did I open the game and break the RNG mechanic for injuries or something? This is ridiculous. Three straight games, three straight SP's injured.

EDIT 4; I feel like this game is trying kill me.

EDIT 5: THE CURSE HAS BEEN LIFTED! Estrada pitched 7 innings and didn't get injured! Funny story, the same game Gallardo was hurt Wainwright, the opposing starter got hurt 1 inning later.

EDIT 6: And here is the strangest part; I've won all these games but one. Mainly due to Aramis Ramirez hitting 4 HR's the last three games.

EDIT 7: And here is a screenshot of practially my whole rotation on the DL: http://i.imgur.com/tJrpCio.jpg

EDIT 8: LOL, now this takes the cake. On my OFF DAY I simulated and got news that Segura suffered a setback in his recovery and will be out an additional 1-2 weeks. I must have upset the wrong person. WHAT DID I DO TO OFFEND YOU INJURY GODS?

Last edited by djcubez; 05-23-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
El Muneco
Bat Boy

I'm hip. Injury luck does keep you on your toes, and it makes you really appreciate it when you do get a guy with an ironman injury rating who can go out there every day.

The game I'm currently on I started as the 1984 Mariners (a team filled with players who were either decent or young, but only one or two who were both). Two months into the first season, my starting 2b retired due to a wrecked shoulder. Within six weeks after that, my starting SS lost a battle to post-concussion syndrome, and also retired. The two incidents combined to truly stretch my contingency plans, as it were...
Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
djcubez
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'm hip. Injury luck does keep you on your toes, and it makes you really appreciate it when you do get a guy with an ironman injury rating who can go out there every day.

The game I'm currently on I started as the 1984 Mariners (a team filled with players who were either decent or young, but only one or two who were both). Two months into the first season, my starting 2b retired due to a wrecked shoulder. Within six weeks after that, my starting SS lost a battle to post-concussion syndrome, and also retired. The two incidents combined to truly stretch my contingency plans, as it were...
Ouch, losing players for the season is one thing but retirement? That has to sting! And yes, I'm definitely more aware of players fragility now.

EDIT: Okay, new question (By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and help me. It's been great!) I have all my lineups set the same way on the lineup screen with incremental rests and what-not, but when I start a game I find my lineup is changed and not in a way that makes sense. For example, it always sits my starting 2B (Bonifacio) and starts my SS prospect in his place (who doesn't even play 2B) and starts my bench utility IF at SS. The other day it wanted to rest my 3B Aramis Ramirez (100% rested) for the same SS prospect who has no 3B experience either. It's just...illogical. It also places my power hitters at leadoff for some games. It's not too big of a deal because I can change it but if there was a way I could turn it off that'd be great.

EDIT 2: Okay I figured it out (I think). I went to the lineups page and selected the RHP and see that my SS prospect is set to play all 3 IF positions at certain increments (2b every 6th game, 3b every 7th game and SS every 3rd game). That actually makes sense to me (except for 3B, Aramis should be an everyday guy). However, I don't understand why it has to screw with my batting order so much; why doesn't it just replace the player in the current order instead of reshuffling the whole thing? i.e., if he replaces the SS and the SS is hitting 2nd, he should be hitting 2nd; the whole batting order doesn't have to change.

Last edited by djcubez; 05-24-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

My first guess is that you have 7-Day lineups selected. Check that.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #10
djcubez
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
My first guess is that you have 7-Day lineups selected. Check that.
Thanks for the response! I think I edited my post before I saw you respond; I checked the 7-Day lineups and saw they were off but noticed my prospect SS was set to start at 3 different positions after a certain amount of games so I got it figured out now.

Here's another (opinion) question for you guys: do you call up many players during Major League Expansion? I feel it may be nice to add another PH option or MR to the pen, but beyond that it's a waste of a players option years (if they haven't been called up yet) and they would only serve to ride the bench instead of gain experience in the minors. Does that sound reasonable? What's your approach?

EDIT: So I may be over thinking. The minors season is over when Major League Expansion starts right? So it's not like they're missing any experience by being called up in September?

Last edited by djcubez; 05-24-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #11
El Muneco
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcubez View Post
Here's another (opinion) question for you guys: do you call up many players during Major League Expansion? I feel it may be nice to add another PH option or MR to the pen, but beyond that it's a waste of a players option years (if they haven't been called up yet) and they would only serve to ride the bench instead of gain experience in the minors. Does that sound reasonable? What's your approach?
I actually am pretty bearish about service time - I am notorious for keeping a youngster who would obviously slot into the current lineup down on the farm for just one more month, standings be damned. To the point where I once had an outfielder in the minors until close to the All-Star break who managed 9.1 wins over replacement after he was called up (!).

That said, September is only one month, and if the clock is already ticking, I think he'll be helped by the experience more than the franchise will be hurt by the service time. Not so sure that I'd actually start the clock in the first place, though.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
djcubez
Bat Boy

Yea I called up a few guys that were actually performing well in AAA and already had major league service time. The rest I left down.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

It depends on how close I am to the division lead. If I am way ahead I have gone to a 6 man rotation bringing up a starter and a few relievers. I try to get top AAA prospects some playing time if I am ahead. If the race is close or I am behind but in it I only call up useful players. I want my best playing if it is on the line.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 AM   #14
djcubez
Bat Boy

Sigh...so Estrada went on the DL today. I'm officially down to the 5 starters from my AAA team, none of which can get out of the first inning without giving up 3+ runs. I'm debating if this is even worth playing anymore; all it causes me is frustration instead of being a source of enjoyment. Thank you all for help.

Last edited by djcubez; 05-25-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

You can change injury frequency. The game is for fun so tweak it the way you want it.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 AM   #16
El Muneco
Bat Boy

Never give up, don't let the bastards get you down. As the waiter says to the diner in the old joke, "sometimes the bull, he does not always lose".

Maybe, if you're really in an untenable position this season, you can sim the rest of the season and pick things up at the winter meetings. And if your initial issues with understanding how this game works differently from other games mean that you have too deep a hole, well, start over with your current understanding. I'm on my 8th career in OOTP14, only the last two of which have lasted over 10 years.

And like the last poster said, if you do restart, tweak more things this time. Another thing that helped me is to be more aggressive right at the start of a game - treating guys whose overall rating didn't jibe with their fundamental ratings as overvalued or undervalued and trying to leverage that in trades.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #17
djcubez
Bat Boy

Yea, I am just overreacting. I don't think I could quit if I tried; there's no comparable option to this sim. My season was pretty much lost anyway what with my bullpen being sent in cold every game (haha). I'm almost done with the season now; hopefully next year will be better. I am also going to pay much more attention to injury history.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I know this is an old post but for many new players who might be coming from games like madden and other console sports games the ratings and settings can be overwhelming to try a decipher.

What I did to try and get over the hump was change the settings to go 100% by rating for the first season. Which makes it really close to the way madden is. The second season I played 90% ratings 5% stats 5% last year.

Then onto the third I did 80% ratings 10% stats 5% last year and 5% two years. I thought as I was playing the third season I was getting a decent mix of the top level guys doing as they should and some lower level guys having great years but for the most part you could still see a relative downward scale with only a few exceptions.

The fourth season I went to the standard rating system 75% 10% 10% %5. And that was the first season I saw any sort of low level players playing well above there ratings. Mostly happened with rookies and other players coming out of the minors. had a 1 1/2 star guy bat .310 with 57 home runs. and a veteran player (4 stars) hit .357 and 86 home runs after only hitting 32, 31 and 37 in the previous seasons.

I throttled the setting back to what I used in the third season (80% 10% 5% 5%) and after a couple more seasons i feel like that is a good mix of "you know what you're getting" and "breakout years". You also still get the prospects that wash out in just a couple years in the minors and 4-5 star veterans who fall off by the all-star break and you wish you didn't give up a highly rated prospect for.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
nickaepi
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
had a 1 1/2 star guy bat .310 with 57 home runs. and a veteran player (4 stars) hit .357 and 86 home runs after only hitting 32, 31 and 37 in the previous seasons.

I'm a newbie here. Maybe I misread your post Are these stats from 1 season?? .357 and 86 home runs? How is that possible? Is this like "in the future" or from a fictional league during steroid era? I hope this isn't common. Those don't look like realistic #'s for anyone. Again, complete newbie here so I may not understand the full context of where those #'s are coming from.
nickaepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
nickaepi
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
I know this is an old post but for many new players who might be coming from games like madden and other console sports games the ratings and settings can be overwhelming to try a decipher.

What I did to try and get over the hump was change the settings to go 100% by rating for the first season. Which makes it really close to the way madden is. The second season I played 90% ratings 5% stats 5% last year.

Then onto the third I did 80% ratings 10% stats 5% last year and 5% two years. I thought as I was playing the third season I was getting a decent mix of the top level guys doing as they should and some lower level guys having great years but for the most part you could still see a relative downward scale with only a few exceptions.

The fourth season I went to the standard rating system 75% 10% 10% %5. And that was the first season I saw any sort of low level players playing well above there ratings. Mostly happened with rookies and other players coming out of the minors. had a 1 1/2 star guy bat .310 with 57 home runs. and a veteran player (4 stars) hit .357 and 86 home runs after only hitting 32, 31 and 37 in the previous seasons.

I throttled the setting back to what I used in the third season (80% 10% 5% 5%) and after a couple more seasons i feel like that is a good mix of "you know what you're getting" and "breakout years". You also still get the prospects that wash out in just a couple years in the minors and 4-5 star veterans who fall off by the all-star break and you wish you didn't give up a highly rated prospect for.

Is this referring to the AI Evaluation settings in setup options? I'm so confused on this. I thought those settings only affected the AI evaluating players for trade value, extensions, etc. So you're saying this actually changes how the AI engine treats how players will perform on the field? Help!
nickaepi is offline   Reply With Quote