Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Aging and Development modifiers for historical?

I was planning on starting a fictional league in 1871 using real players as a sort of alternate history of baseball.

I'm using Spritze's database as I want to give players some time to develop and give some players the opportunity to appear earlier if they started their big league career when they were already on the decline.

However, I've run into what I think is a problem. First I started in 1992 and simmed until 2012 and players were aging too slowly and basically every star player broke into the bigs at the age of 19 without a single stint in the minors. I'm not sure if this is because of their ratings when they come in because of the DB or what, but it means much longer careers for everyone.

Then I did a sim from 95 to 2012 and had the aging modifiers at 1.100 and development modifiers at .900. Basically same results.

Some of these may be outliers, but I had things like Greg maddux pitching for 26 years and amassing 390 wins and Randy Johnson pitching for 23 years and getting 5771 strikeouts. Actually there were alot of players with 300+ wins or 4000+ Ks.

Anyone use this database and have an idea of what to do with this issue (or your opinion on whether or not it actually is an issue)?

@MisterG90
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

I would love some help on this.

Also, on a completely separate note...

When using Spritze or Gambo's databases, is there any way to simulate the Negro Leagues or Foreign leagues throughout history besides manually controlling all teams? I can't imagine a way to prevent black players from getting signed by a regular major league club, or a similar thing for japanese players, but let me know if there is!

@MisterG90
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

I would assume you could adjust the teams.csv and assign the players to the correct (new) debut teams in the master.csv, right? You'd also have to add a new league for those new teams.

This is an 'educated guess', I think it's correct, but you'd need someone else to confirm or to test it . . .
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
I would assume you could adjust the teams.csv and assign the players to the correct (new) debut teams in the master.csv, right? You'd also have to add a new league for those new teams.

This is an 'educated guess', I think it's correct, but you'd need someone else to confirm or to test it . . .
That might work. Problem is I'm creating fictional teams. And I'm trying to still have player movement. Only thing real is the players.

@MisterG90
Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

I think the teams.csv just gets your teams into the league. You could import the players as free agents for all the movement you need.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
However, I've run into what I think is a problem. First I started in 1992 and simmed until 2012 and players were aging too slowly and basically every star player broke into the bigs at the age of 19 without a single stint in the minors. I'm not sure if this is because of their ratings when they come in because of the DB or what, but it means much longer careers for everyone.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3502753
Yes, a majority of the rookies in the G/S DB come in already MLB-ready & the few that aren't ready to immediately hit the majors are still at least good enough to start in AA

If you want to test out how altering the PCM would affect incoming historical draftees, feel free to post the results. But as it stands now, historical drafts are more like NBA & NFL drafts in that they are only a few rounds & most of the players are ready to step in right away

Last edited by ezpkns34; 05-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
sprague
All Star Starter

another issue with playing a development historical league is that the best overall players may not be the best overall rated players.
a guy with 2 good years and then got hurt may have high potential numbers as the engine has 2 years to work with, as opposed to a guy with 15 seasons who may take a hit as his next 3,4,5 years were average that the hurt player never had to suffer. so along the way you may have to boost the odd player in the draft if you think his potential has come out a bit lower than expected us to this factor

If you are concerned with making sure ted williams and babe ruth ect are good, then the most important thing to do is have talent randomness at 1. Otherwise lots of average players will bust up to be stars, lots of superstars get a big drop. and if i am playing historical i want cobb and rose and aaron ect to be good players

well my suggestions it anyway

PS are you using a spritzie High school database, or a spritzie db. The high school one has the players all come in as 18 year olds and you would see more lower values to start. if it is an actual db just revised some then the players come in their first year of being in the ml, which of course means they are rated far better than someone just coming out of the draft

Last edited by sprague; 05-19-2013 at 04:48 PM.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote