Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Science-Fiction Total Conversion?

Hi!

My latest pet project is setting up a fantasy league in a sci-fi universe. This is less about me playing than about setting it up and watching it play out, seeing who the stars are, etc.

The big question is now - what can I do to help the "suspension of disbelief"?

The obvious:

Remodel the countries / origins / names of the players:

* Flags
* Countries/Planets
* Cities

Logos, Caps and Jerseys:

* Less than classic names and appearances, "fab" colors

Stadium background (difficult to achieve, but gives each game a much more technocratic feel)

Backgrounds for Baseball Cards

Stadium Stats (less gravity = more home runs)

More "sci-fi" looking templates for BNN

Does anybody have any additional ideas?
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Have you read any of Iain Banks "Culture" Books. I've always thought the Orbitals and the Ships run by the massive "Minds" would make an excellent league. The technology in the "Culture" is so advanced that they could easily recreate historical parks and cityscapes.

Orbitals are a variation of Larry Niven's Ringworld idea. Banks naming convention for Ships is masterfull so you could have really interesting team names.

See this

Orbital (The Culture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of spacecraft in the Culture series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

For my main league or universe as I call it I created all the planets of Star wars, Star Trek & some fictional planets as nations. All of them are based off of nations in OOTP. All my cities are a mirror of a real city, i used the actual population of most cities, some i upped by a little, some a lot. I wanted to change the modifiers to reflect the fact that the planet my main league is on has less gravity then Earth and has a 20 hr day. I skipped that because of too much micro management of the league and I leave it as is.
Since i did all this on 11 when it was easier to edit the txt's i have to create a league on 11 and then convert it to 12 then 13 and soon 14. I have not tried to edit the world default .xml on 12 or 13.
I do have several templates for 13 for various league setups if you want them.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Orbitals are a variation of Larry Niven's Ringworld idea. Banks naming convention for Ships is masterfull so you could have really interesting team names.
I'll look into it, but currently my plans are to base the league in the EVE Online Universe - plenty of orbital stations to go around there. The trick is only how to capture such a feeling in OOTP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
For my main league or universe as I call it I created all the planets of Star wars, Star Trek & some fictional planets as nations. All of them are based off of nations in OOTP. All my cities are a mirror of a real city, i used the actual population of most cities, some i upped by a little, some a lot. I wanted to change the modifiers to reflect the fact that the planet my main league is on has less gravity then Earth and has a 20 hr day. I skipped that because of too much micro management of the league and I leave it as is.
Since i did all this on 11 when it was easier to edit the txt's i have to create a league on 11 and then convert it to 12 then 13 and soon 14. I have not tried to edit the world default .xml on 12 or 13.
I do have several templates for 13 for various league setups if you want them.
At this point I am just collecting a) what can be done for such a "total conversion" and then b) how I can do it.

I'd love to see what you did - did you put any of it online?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

One interesting part is selecting team names.

In a universe, where you life is not planet-bound, but in artificial habitats all across a very hostile universe, what are attractive team names?

So far I have come up with (I am in no way having illusions about the quality of these ;-)):

• Hexapumas (yes, it's from the Honorverse, but still), aka new aggressive animals
  • Flares (as in Solar Flares)
  • Astro Miners
  • 'Roids
  • Sentinels
  • Admirals / all kinds of Navy Ranks
Do you have any "spacey" ideas?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Fenway
Minors (Triple A)

I have run a Star Wars-vs-Star Trek universe for two or three seasons. Really fun! But it was a lot of work typing in all the names and other info for all my players, as I have minor leagues and the works. After doing all that work, I didn't feel like spending much time on logos etc. Maybe this year I will.

For Trek and Star Wars, team names came easily: the Starship Enterprise, the Hoth Rebels, the Alderaan Ghosts, etc.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I have run a Star Wars-vs-Star Trek universe for two or three seasons. Really fun! But it was a lot of work typing in all the names and other info for all my players, as I have minor leagues and the works. After doing all that work, I didn't feel like spending much time on logos etc. Maybe this year I will.

For Trek and Star Wars, team names came easily: the Starship Enterprise, the Hoth Rebels, the Alderaan Ghosts, etc.
Marberi made about 12? logos that are Star Wars based. Justafan, justafied them.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
bbmike
Minors (Double A)

Since 2007 my team has been the Pensacola Feds (as in Federation). Here are the logos I use:

I always name the original players on this team after Science Fictions authors.
bbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmike View Post
Since 2007 my team has been the Pensacola Feds (as in Federation). Here are the logos I use:

I always name the original players on this team after Science Fictions authors.
Do you have uniforms for this team and others like it?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
bbmike
Minors (Double A)

No, just one basic one for the Feds. Shouldn't be hard to make more though.

bbmike is offline   Reply With Quote