Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just had Ruth hit 65 Home Runs

Wow, I guess the Dead Ball Era is officially over. I just finished the 1922 season and Ruth smashed 65 bombs for the Red Sox. 1920 was Ruths first season as a hitter and he has improved offensively each season. He hit .313 with 28 bombs in 1920, .336 with 44 long balls in 1921 and .354 with 65 in 1922.

Oddly enough 1922 turned out to be the first season since 1912 that a team other than the Red Sox or Athletics won the AL title. The Washington Senators(86-68) finished 3 games ahead of Boston for AL crown. Both the Red Sox and Athletics got off to horrible starts and had to fight there way back into things.

The St Louis Cardinals took home the National League title for the second year in a row. The Cardinals won 97 games and finished 14 games ahead of the second place Phillies. Jim Bottomley burst on the scene for the Cardinals, winning the batting title .378 and tying 2 others(Earl Sheely and John Kelleher) for the home run lead with 17.

The Senators defeated the Cardinals 4 games to 3 in the World Series.

Chief Bender would become the very first member of he Hall of Fame. Bender pitched his entire career in Philadelphia for the Athletics. He was 242-161 from 1906-1922. Bender also saved 15 games. He made 8 starts in the post season going 5-1 with a 1.24 ERA.

Eddie Collins needs 203 hits to become the first player to reach 3000 hits. Walter Johnson begins the 1923 season with 247 wins. 250 wins should be a sure thing but at 36 years old, I have my doubts about him reaching 300. Nap Rucker sits at 240 wins, but he is 39, so the end is even closer for him. I am using 5 man rotations.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-04-2012 at 11:04 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Cool stuff!!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
fsclb66
Minors (Single A)

How has 5 man rotations worked out for you playing in that era? Ive wanted to do a historical league for a while now but one thing thats always bugged me is guys holding records strictly because of the era they played in, for instance Dead ball era batters hitting tons of triples, and dead ball pitchers leading in shut outs and completed games.
fsclb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsclb66 View Post
How has 5 man rotations worked out for you playing in that era? Ive wanted to do a historical league for a while now but one thing thats always bugged me is guys holding records strictly because of the era they played in, for instance Dead ball era batters hitting tons of triples, and dead ball pitchers leading in shut outs and completed games.
The 5 man rotations have worked out fine for me. I lowered stamina to normal and also set closer and relief pitcher usage to normal. At the start of each season I set the starting pitcher stamina to 1.000.

I went with 5 man rotations(always start highest rested) in order to avoid having 4 starters with 35+ starts per team. With 5 man rotations, a teams ace will usually get 35 starts and the 5th starter will start anywhere from 24 to 30 games. With all the doubleheaders 5 man rotations come in handy as well. 300 wins is going to be the true benchmark.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

That's the highest I've seen from Ruth. (The 162 game equivalent would be 68.)
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
That's the highest I've seen from Ruth. (The 162 game equivalent would be 68.)
He is on a tear again in 1924. Mid July and he has 30+(want to say 33, at work so?) and already has over 100 runs batted in. In other news, I may have change Lou Gehrig's nickname. Halfway through his 2nd big league season and he has already had 2 significant stays on the DL. Plus, last night I noticed the Yankees had him stationed in centerfield.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I'm just entering 1930 and Ruth's biggest year was 59 (mid twenties I think). He cleared 40 only twice so far but is on the verge of crossing 600 career HRs.

Over 60 would be a treat!

I use the altered DB that uses 18yr old entry years rather than actual entry years. If I recall, Ruth was one that entered earlier than age 18 so my Babe may have a few years on your Babe.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
I'm just entering 1930 and Ruth's biggest year was 59 (mid twenties I think). He cleared 40 only twice so far but is on the verge of crossing 600 career HRs.

Over 60 would be a treat!

I use the altered DB that uses 18yr old entry years rather than actual entry years. If I recall, Ruth was one that entered earlier than age 18 so my Babe may have a few years on your Babe.
I'm not using recalc, so I had to manually change him over from a pitcher to a hitter. I'm using the DH in my league and the is where the Red Sox use him.