Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Thelkin
Minors (Single A)

Reserve Roster blowout

After reading Scott1964's dynasty report I was inspired to try the same. Going pretty well, the league that is. My management skills are still very rusty. Been fired about 5-6 times, 3 times mid season...

But my question is; Is carryind a 25 man active and between 25-40 man reserve normal?

I am running only a ML league, obviously no minor leagues, and no ficitional players. I think I am not running my contracts properly and letting the AI resign every year to keep them on the books. They only seem to leave when they retire, or I trade them off the books.

Should I be monitoring that closely at the end of playoffs and then just releasing the players I no longer want? Or creating a minor league for them to fill and have something for them to do. (Unsure if spending money in player development does as much good for reserve roster compared to an actual minor league)

Thanks.
Thelkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

My 1908 Roster has 25 players and 44 on my reserve roster. I use the reserve roster to park my prospects and the tankers. I do give them shots and the ones that develop I keep otherwise they sit there and then retire.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

I play solo fictional leagues with no minors and I love using the reserve roster. Players develop just as they would have in the minors. I start with 20 players in reserve with the inaugural draft but my rookie class draft has 5 rounds so in time the reserve roster does grow. Since most players on the roster never get used in game I just use the roster to put players in when injuries occur or if the player develops well I will put a player onto the ML roster. Most of the players just sit in the reserve and don't get used, they will then retire.

The down side is that these players show up in the alphabetical listing of players in the history files. They will have 0 stats but show up. They don't show up on the career batting or career pitching history just in the player index. I had more players in the index that did not play than I have of players who did play in the Majors.

Last edited by SandMan; 11-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I use a 25-man active roster and a 15-man reserve roster (no minors) in my historical leagues. I find that it keeps me from stockpiling talent and makes the AI more competitive.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Roster Limits

That is the list historical roster limits and reserve limits. Usually a 15 man roster with 15 reserves no 25 or 40 man works well for me prior to 1910 when I go to the 25/40 with waivers like modern day.

Technically there were no roster limits prior to 1910, I think, but playing that way is not advised teams really stockpile. Also note if you add minors go to a high roster limit and move goes to the active roster before adding minors then you can reset rosters after. If not guys on the reserve roster disappear. They are still in the game but you can't access them.

I also play with reserve era rules even before the reserve. Since these were one year contracts I release all players first day of the offseason after I give awards, so the BB cards show a guy in uniform. When the reserve limit comes in it gets a little more work because you have manually cut all but 5 players you think a team would keep or what ever the reserve limit is for that year.

Also these were maximum limits and no minimum like there is modern baseball.

Last edited by Biggio509; 11-30-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Thelkin
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the responses. My Reserve now holds my maybe and my never gunna be ML players.

I wish I read a little more on expansion protection lists and the rosters before the historical expansion. Protected my 12 stars, no prob, but did not move my top prospects into reserve roster. So once the expansion draft was over, the public was pissed a lot of favourite players were gone, I was left with the 12 stars in active, and about 10 duds in reserve...

Next season is going to be rough without a good first year draft and beneficial trading...
Thelkin is offline   Reply With Quote