Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Forum Suggestions

I am not here to criticize. Just to make 2 small suggestions.
1. For the mods. when closing a thread could you please pin a comment telling why the thread was closed? So new threads with speculation stop popping up.

2 For posters, if your post concerns strictly simming, or strictly playing out games, please put that in the title.

Do not hurt where holding is enough,
Do Not wound where hurting is enough
Do not maim where wounding is enough,
and kill not where maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill.
-Berek Halfhand

Last edited by Bobfather; 12-05-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I agree 100% with point #1. Mods, please give this consideration.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

While sometimes I do make a capping post on a thread I close, I don't think it's usually necessary. I think most posters can usually easily surmise why a thread was closed. Did it go too political or religious? If yes, then that's why. Is the thread nothing but people bickering just to bicker without trying to be constructive? If yes, then that's why. Has the topic already been talked to death? If yes, then that's probably why. It's pretty rare, for me at least, to see a closed thread and wonder, why was that closed?

And I don't think knowing why is going to stop absolutely everyone from wanting to stoke the fire one more time. I'm sure there are threads I've capped that have restarted. I think most people have common sense most of the time, but there's often that one drunk guy who wants to keep the fire going while most everyone else just wants to go to bed, but they can't because drunk guy might do something stupid.

Some people just love to be trolls. Maybe we all have a bit of troll in us from time to time, but I think some people just delight in restarting a closed topic or hijacking another thread to a place it doesn't need to go. I'm actually impressed by how many times some people try their best to steer a topic down a better path. Some are explicit in their intentions while some are subtle. Either way, those who do, I thank you.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:59 PM   #4
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
While sometimes I do make a capping post on a thread I close, I don't think it's usually necessary. I think most posters can usually easily surmise why a thread was closed. Did it go too political or religious? If yes, then that's why. Is the thread nothing but people bickering just to bicker without trying to be constructive? If yes, then that's why. Has the topic already been talked to death? If yes, then that's probably why. It's pretty rare, for me at least, to see a closed thread and wonder, why was that closed?

And I don't think knowing why is going to stop absolutely everyone from wanting to stoke the fire one more time. I'm sure there are threads I've capped that have restarted. I think most people have common sense most of the time, but there's often that one drunk guy who wants to keep the fire going while most everyone else just wants to go to bed, but they can't because drunk guy might do something stupid.

Some people just love to be trolls. Maybe we all have a bit of troll in us from time to time, but I think some people just delight in restarting a closed topic or hijacking another thread to a place it doesn't need to go. I'm actually impressed by how many times some people try their best to steer a topic down a better path. Some are explicit in their intentions while some are subtle. Either way, those who do, I thank you.
I guess I am just tired of reading conspiracy theories about why threads are closed.

Do not hurt where holding is enough,
Do Not wound where hurting is enough
Do not maim where wounding is enough,
and kill not where maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill.
-Berek Halfhand
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:14 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Good suggestion from Bobfather.

It would be good just to post the reason for closure or movement.
That way the viewers would know for sure and not guess about it.
It is not always clear why a thread is closed.

Thanks for the reply, kq76.
Please consider this request.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 12-06-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #6
discodude5
Major Leagues

Kq, just post a smile like so we know ok
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #7
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post

I really want to start drinking and posting right now but unfortunately I have to work in the morning.

This really made my evening though, thanks!
Old 12-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #8
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfather View Post
I guess I am just tired of reading conspiracy theories about why threads are closed.
No, I'm pretty sure there's no conspiracy, whatever that could be. For example, I've never, ever, seen anything from the parent company saying, "do this" or "don't do that". I don't even know if they have an account here. It's even quite rare for someone from OOTP to say, "please take care of this". And it's no more than what any other person might report. What usually happens is some random user reports something and says, "hey, I think this is going too far, please take a look at it" and then we do and either do nothing or do something depending on how far we think it's gone.

And we're certainly not perfect at it either. I personally probably let things go on longer than I should, but I'd also rather err on that side than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Please consider this request.
I hear you. And I do remember getting frustrated by thread closures when I wasn't a moderator so I get it. Just talking about myself, I think the reason why I don't cap all the threads I close, like the recent one that went religious, is I don't want to get into an argument over it. Someone pointed it out, I agreed, and so I moved it. Then I realized I should have closed it and so I did that. I felt kind of bad that I was moving a thread that people were just being nice to one another, but I also know that sooner or later it'd trigger someone and we don't want that. And plenty of people will say, "I don't come here for politics or religion, I come here for sports talk and OOTP" and while I myself wouldn't mind the occasional off topic discussion, I don't disagree with their wanting to keep the main boards on topic either. I get it, OOTP is supposed to be a respite from all that other stuff.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Appreciate your transparency, kq76. I agree that it's typically pretty obvious why threads are closed/moved, especially in the case of the last couple of weeks. I haven't been around here as long as some others, but I can't remember a period where we've had so many threads that had to be closed in such a short period. It's disappointing to see because those threads have had some good ideas/suggestions if you're able to block out the noise/negativity.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, kq76... appreciate you listening to us and responding... and for considering our requests.

Thanks for doing a difficult job here as moderator.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #11
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I'd prefer that some of those closed instead be sent to the flamefest forum.

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #12
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Hearing from the Moderator dispels the "conspiracy" allegations, at least among reasonable minds. Of course there are those who will always find conspiracies. Greatly appreciate the transparency. Your approach makes sense.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote