Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
You may be right, but even you're not sure if you are . That's why I let all of the individual ratings be of equal weight. You might say contact is more important, but I actually use the eye rating more heavily.

As I stated elsewhere, if there's really an outcry to make those settings modifiable, I'll add that as an option.
So are you saying you would take a 2-13-11 hitter over an 11-8-6 one? (Cont-Pow-Eye)
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
So are you saying you would take a 2-13-11 hitter over an 11-8-6 one? (Cont-Pow-Eye)
Of course not. That's not even close to what I said.

I said I value the eye rating more heavily. So I might take a 10-10-11 guy over a 11-10-10 guy. Eye ratings tend to fall less/slower than contact ratings. Plus contact ratings depend on two ratings: BABIP and avoid k's. That's twice the potential for a talent hit. Then, contact is a flashier rating, so most people (such as yourself) go after guys with higher contact ratings, leaving higher eye rating guys available in drafts and free agency (cheaper).

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #23
mcarlisle21
Minors (Double A)

Not sure what's going on, but I DLed the new version, click the setup button and the program opened. I loaded a league and it said league loaded successfully. When I tried to rate the teams, however, this is what I got.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at TeamRater.Form1.rateTeamsButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
TeamRater
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Mr.%20Carlisle/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/MYM35R8H.W0D/V5ME2JAT.NG4/team..tion_614e3b71b9f7d173_0001.0000_df2766b0f682 f238/TeamRater.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
mcarlisle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #24
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarlisle21 View Post
Not sure what's going on, but I DLed the new version, click the setup button and the program opened. I loaded a league and it said league loaded successfully. When I tried to rate the teams, however, this is what I got.<configuration>
Can you run it with debugging mode on (in the options menu). That will create a log file on your c:\.

Do you have anything strange in your league setup (set far away from the defaults)?
</configuration>

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #25
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Of course not. That's not even close to what I said.

I said I value the eye rating more heavily. So I might take a 10-10-11 guy over a 11-10-10 guy. Eye ratings tend to fall less/slower than contact ratings. Plus contact ratings depend on two ratings: BABIP and avoid k's. That's twice the potential for a talent hit. Then, contact is a flashier rating, so most people (such as yourself) go after guys with higher contact ratings, leaving higher eye rating guys available in drafts and free agency (cheaper).
I wasn't trying to criticize, I really was asking. It just seems that there should be some minimums in each category, then add them all up???

I dunno, I'm really asking, not poking fun because I really like the idea of your TeamRater. In my example above, all three added up makes that 2 contact guy better, and I didn't think you would see it that way too is why I asked.

But I also don't have a clue as to what's right, or what a minimum should be or any of that. It just seems like maybe on a scale from 1-20 let's say, all ratings 1-7 count 1/3 a point, ratings 8-15 count 1/2 a point and ratings 16-20 count 1 point. Or something or other. I'm just trying to brainstorm with you is all.

EDIT: Or add them up like you're doing but give bonus points to each category that reaches yellow, then green, then blue?????

EDIT2: Another possibility might be any of the three ratings under at least yellow gets zero for that rating, and all ratings at least yellow get full value????

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 07-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #26
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
I wasn't trying to criticize, I really was asking. It just seems that there should be some minimums in each category, then add them all up???

I dunno, I'm really asking, not poking fun because I really like the idea of your TeamRater. In my example above, all three added up makes that 2 contact guy better, and I didn't think you would see it that way too is why I asked.

But I also don't have a clue as to what's right, or what a minimum should be or any of that. It just seems like maybe on a scale from 1-20 let's say, all ratings 1-7 count 1/3 a point, ratings 8-15 count 1/2 a point and ratings 16-20 count 1 point. Or something or other. I'm just trying to brainstorm with you is all.
Not suggesting you were criticizing or poking fun, just telling you that's not what I suggested.

The thing is, I don't think there is a 'right' way to set the weights. That was more my point. You may value something higher than I do. If a lot of people ask for the 1/3 weight for each weighting to be optional, I'll see about putting in the effort to make them configurable.

You do have an interesting idea about higher ratings counting for more. I might have to investigate that to see what kind of results something like that gives.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #27
mcarlisle21
Minors (Double A)

No weird settings that I aware of. I ran with debugging mode on, but where is the debug file located?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
No weird settings that I aware of. I ran with debugging mode on, but where is the debug file located?
Right in the c:\. Should be called like "teamraterlog.txt" or something.

If it's not there, zip up your .csv files and email them to me (email address in the about window in the program).

I don't need them all, just the teams.csv, team_rosters.csv, players.csv, players_batting.csv, players_pitching.csv, players_fielding.csv.

Last edited by Neags23; 07-08-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #29
mcarlisle21
Minors (Double A)

Email sent.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #30
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Email sent.
Very strange.... your players.csv file is missing a player. Player ID 16391. He shows up in the teams_roster.csv file... he plays for the Twins. But he's not in the players.csv file.

Can you do a new data export and try? If it doesn't work, check to see if that player ID is in your players.csv. I don't know why he wouldn't be in there. It's not abnormal for a player ID to be missing from the .csv, but for him to be missing in one and in the other doesn't make sense.

You could try looking for player 16391 on the Twins in game.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #31
mcarlisle21
Minors (Double A)

Ok, I exported again and it's working fine. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #32
Neags23
All Star Starter

New build uploaded to fix DH leagues.

The latest (and now only) build is compiled with .NET 2.0, so you guys having trouble with .NET 3.5 shouldn't have any more trouble. Now I'm using the old c# express 2005 rather than c# express 2008... but, oh, well. Compatibility trumps cutting edge technology, I guess.

Last edited by Neags23; 07-09-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
Neags23
All Star Starter

Just uploaded a new build. Fixed a couple bugs, added tiny features.

Now, once you have results, you can tweak your weights and re-run results without having to reload the league.

On an interesting note, this program has been downloaded 162 times... but only about 5 people have commented. That's pretty unfortunate. Nice 3% comment rate.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #34
Aytumious
Minors (Triple A)

This is about your player development tracker. I love the program, even with the new feature in OOTP9. The problem is, your program creates around 5000 empty text files in the c: location on my hardrive every time I use it. Its more an annoyance than anything. Any suggestions?
Aytumious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #35
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aytumious View Post
This is about your player development tracker. I love the program, even with the new feature in OOTP9. The problem is, your program creates around 5000 empty text files in the c: location on my hardrive every time I use it. Its more an annoyance than anything. Any suggestions?
I always wondered if anyone was gonna say something about that bug...

If you click on the 'write to player history files' and give it the path of your player history files, then uncheck write to player history files, it doesn't do that.

As it is, the path it's given when it's unchecked is C:\ and it looks for files there, can't find them, and just writes them all there.

Weird bug.

I'll fix that in the next version, which is due out....... sometime.

I mention the lack of comments on the TeamRater and get one on the devTracker...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #36
Aytumious
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the reply.

It seems with OOTP mods like this, you get people checking it out and using it but not a lot of feedback for whatever reason. I know I've personally used many mods over the various iterations of the game, but have rarely posted in threads about those mods.
Aytumious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #37
Greatgrampa
Major Leagues

Quote:
Just uploaded a new build. Fixed a couple bugs, added tiny features.

Now, once you have results, you can tweak your weights and re-run results without having to reload the league.

On an interesting note, this program has been downloaded 162 times... but only about 5 people have commented. That's pretty unfortunate. Nice 3% comment rate.
I haven't used your team rater yet because I have just started using the game but I certainly will sometime soon. I appreciate all of your hard work even if I haven't used your program yet.
I know what you mean here though. Even though it is obvious that your program is something that everyone here wants, or at least 162 want and hopefully are using you only have had five people comment on it. It is nice to have that many want the mod but it is nice to get some feedback and acknowledgment for all of your hard work. I don't think people are intentionally not commenting but rather don't seem to have the time or make the time to do it.
I do, because I used to do similar things in another game and I know what it is like when no one even says a thank you. I mean, you do this as a free addon to the game and I think you should at least get an acknowledgment from those that have downloaded and used it. That's just a personal opinion from experience.
So, I always make sure I thank someone who contributes programs or mods or pictures or uniforms or whatever to the game. You all are making the game a lot nicer to use so......when everyone comes here for problems or to find the newest download to the mod, please thank the man who created the mod!! Thank you is not two words that are that difficult nor too time consuming to write.

Anyway, again, I thank you for the mod and for taking the time to do it and update it as necessary.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 AM   #38
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Greatgrandpa sets a great example. I haven't used your utility yet, but have followed the thread ever since you first posted and might try it in the future. I also appreciate the work of all the modders like you.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
Neags23
All Star Starter

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Really, though, it's not so much thanks or acknowledgment of the programs that I'm after as much as suggestions and bugs.

The devTracker program improved bunches based on suggestions and bug reports from a few users (even though looking back on the program, it really isn't very good or user friendly... the TeamRater program is much tighter and the interface is miles ahead.. but that's the difference in a year's experience in dealing with the .csv's and c# from the devTracker to the TeamRater).

Same thing with the TeamRater program. I never play with DH's, so I never thought to test the program on a DH league. Thanks to Solonor, a bug was found that made the program throw up all over DH leagues. Thanks to Raidergoo, at some point in the future I'll add potential ratings to the program, as well.

It would be nice to know, though, if people thought the programs were absolute crap or if they actually are useful additions to the game. That way I know if I'm wasting my time (though, I'd probably make them anyway, because I have a lot of fun making them and I find them pretty useful even if no one else did).

Last edited by Neags23; 07-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #40
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

I think it's going to be great as soon as I get a chance to get my league converted--which won't happen for another month or so. We're currently just entering September in the game. I plan on flipping to OOTP9 right after the playoffs. Once that happens, I'll be using it a lot to create my own little "ESPN" (or "MESN - Middle Earth Sports Network") assessments of the teams.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote