Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #41
Tony M
Global Moderator

I had a BIG COLLIBNN at home base... I think someone globally replaced SION with BNN...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #42
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Sorry, Eugene. I sent that PM before I saw this thread.
This from the post EC put up:
I have noticed that anytime the pbp describes an outfielder making a throw, or any play in which the fielder receiving the ball is described as making a tag, the runner is always safe. No exceptions in ten games. Is that just a coincidence, or is the pbp written that way?

It must just be coincidence and bad luck. Just went through my game logs a little and I definitely see "tag" plays that come up outs (in fact there 13 of 20 that I looked at were outs). Also OF throws didn't appear to be a problem, had 5 of 20 be outs.

Let me know if it continues to look bad and I'll chop this up and find out exactly how many there were over a full season.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #43
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
I had a BIG COLLIBNN at home base... I think someone globally replaced SION with BNN...
Oh no! Not a big Colibnn!

Catcher will be injured for sure.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #44
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

PbP repeating line

PbP repeating line here................
Attached Images
Ian Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #45
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Collins View Post
PbP repeating line here................
Strange. Probably because of the (nl) leading it off... no idea where that came from. There were 3 like that, hopefully fixed it.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #46
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

News stories contradict

Here are two consecutive news stories where the second one makes nonsense of the first.

I guess it would take some programing to avoid this sort of thing. And I must admit that this is the first time I've seen this in hundreds of games played.

Ian
Attached Images
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #47
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here are two consecutive news stories where the second one makes nonsense of the first.

I guess it would take some programing to avoid this sort of thing. And I must admit that this is the first time I've seen this in hundreds of games played.

Ian
Yeah, that's kind of bad, but nothing to be done about it. There were several errors in the injury story though, I fixed those.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #48
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ian
So he hit the cycle then got injured running the bases? Damn that's unlucky.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #49
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

from a PM to Eugene

The pbp is much improved over 2006, but I have noticed a few things. None of these observations is likely to be useful to you, but I thought you might like to know that they're out there:

Twice the ends of calls have been cut off. Once it read something like "and the ball is taken to the bag by…!" where it should have read "the ball is taken to the bag by Jukoda." The other time was when someone hit a ball deep, and the last line read something like "Arai is pumping for second…", and that was the end of it. I had to go to the pitch-by-pitch summary to discover that Arai had a double, but was thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple.

{It's too bad I missed that, because in ten games so far that was the only runner thrown out trying to stretch a hit. I have noticed that anytime the pbp describes an outfielder making a throw, or any play in which the fielder receiving the ball is described as making a tag, the runner is always safe. No exceptions in ten games. Is that just a coincidence, or is the pbp written that way?}

The last thing is that the pbp does not take into account infield shifts. If I shift right (putting the shortstop over second base), the pbp will tell me that the second baseman waved at a ball over the bag, and similarly for the shortstop when I shift left.

On the whole, though, I was using the brief pbp in 2006, but I've gone to the full version in OotPB9. A job well done.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #50
Kuttner
Minors (Triple A)

Just wanted to chime in that I got one these "Champions winning the Series on the road" but the message saying they won it at home.

I've also included the box score.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I checked all of the League Champions stories in the Text Database and I did not see a story like the one you listed.

This is the only story that had "hard-fought" phrase in it:

It was a hard-fought battle for both teams to make it this far. But as the saying goes, "To the victors go the spoils." Boston got the Major League Baseball World Series trophy today with a 5-1 victory over St. Louis at Fenway Park. The Red Sox won their third championship after taking the series with the Cardinals 4-2.

"They've got grit!" one fan said. "They know how to win when they have to. They're the League Champions!"

The new titleholders completed the regular season with a first-place finish in the American League East and a 98-64 record.

I have checked 5 league champions stories for a test league I use to proof the News.

So far, all of the home teams won the league title and played the last game at the park listed in the News Stories.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it comes up the way you stated.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Kuttner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #51
atlbrave1
Minors (Triple A)

See screen cap...12.12 innings --- I don't remember setting the number of outs per inning to 8.

BTW, the pitcher had pitched 12.1 innings prior to the strikeout --- the strikeout made it 12.2 innings.
Attached Images

Last edited by atlbrave1; 06-24-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: More info
atlbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #52
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttner View Post
Just wanted to chime in that I got one these "Champions winning the Series on the road" but the message saying they won it at home.

I've also included the box score.
Thanks.
Thanks.

We see if we can figure out how this is happening.

This has been reported as a bug.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 06-25-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #53
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

selfish bump to keep this on the front page.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #54
brado09
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbrave1 View Post
See screen cap...12.12 innings --- I don't remember setting the number of outs per inning to 8.

BTW, the pitcher had pitched 12.1 innings prior to the strikeout --- the strikeout made it 12.2 innings.
I had a similar one where it said 4.4 innings after the strikeout made it 4.2 innings.

Also, I don't have a screenshot, but I remember seeing the word territory spelled terrotory. Assuming it was on a play where the ball ended up just foul...in foul 'terrotory.'
brado09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #55
Kuttner
Minors (Triple A)

ID: 65
News - 3 home runs for AAA player
2nd paragraph - "It like going to the prom..."
Should be "It's"

The other weird thing about this is that is goes on to say, "The box score confirms you went 3-for-4 with 3 runs scored and 5 RBIs and your batting average jumped up a few points to the .750 mark."

It seems to be basing .750 on the fact that he went 3 for 4. His season average is actually .292 which the message points out in the last line. I assume the news story wants to point out his season avg, not the game's avg.
Kuttner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #56
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttner View Post
ID: 65
News - 3 home runs for AAA player
2nd paragraph - "It like going to the prom..."
Should be "It's"

The other weird thing about this is that is goes on to say, "The box score confirms you went 3-for-4 with 3 runs scored and 5 RBIs and your batting average jumped up a few points to the .750 mark."

It seems to be basing .750 on the fact that he went 3 for 4. His season average is actually .292 which the message points out in the last line. I assume the news story wants to point out his season avg, not the game's avg.
Thanks for the help.

Fixed the typo.

I rewrote the last part and took out the reference to his batting average. Apparently you can't use the token for batting average there.

Here is the way it looked after the rework:

New York knocked off Boston 5-1 in spite of a fantastic home run display by Mike Lowell, the Red Sox third baseman. Lowell drilled 3 home runs out of the park, but couldn't bring home the victory.

Afterward he turned philosophical.
"It's like going to the prom with the prettiest girl in school, having a great time, but then not getting a good night kiss."

It really wasn't such a bad day. Lowell finished the day with 4 hits, 5 runs batted in and 5 runs scored. His batting average went up a little bit, too.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #57
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbrave1 View Post

This is hard-coded. Only Markus can fix it.

I will post a bug.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #58
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado09 View Post
I had a similar one where it said 4.4 innings after the strikeout made it 4.2 innings.

Also, I don't have a screenshot, but I remember seeing the word territory spelled terrotory. Assuming it was on a play where the ball ended up just foul...in foul 'terrotory.'
This is hard-coded. Only Markus can fix it.

I will post a bug.

Thanks.

I will scan the PBP and see if I can find the typo "terrotory".
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #59
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Selfish Bump for the OOTPB Community.

This thread needs to be on page one.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #60
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Don't know if this is within your remit, but here's a message I received that doesn't look right..........

Using OOTP9 with the patch and a new 2008 Major League created from the default program.

Ian
Attached Images