Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

What's Wrong With This Picture?

With patch 1.0.2 installed, the following event occured. To aid in clarity, I am replacing the player's names with their positions [in brackets]. The play starts with a runner on 2nd base.

the batter swings...
its popped high in the air...
on the infield, right side...
running at full speed is [2nd baseman]
but he can't make the play...
that'll fall in...
[runner] reaches third base...
[runner] is on his way home...
but [rightfielder] just brings it into the infield...
he scored...
a RBI single by [batter]

Its a sad thing when my 2nd baseman, who has an infield range score of 74, has to run full speed to get to a pop-up right above his head.
Ambermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

...and not only that, but the 2nd baseman is so demoralized about it that the right fielder has to run in to pick up the ball!
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

Sounds to me that it's more like the word "Infield" may be misleading. I see nothing in that PBP that indicates that it is right above his head.
Maybe it was on the line?

It seems like maybe this call was meant for the outfielder on a fly to shallow outfield?

jnshmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Moved to proper forum.
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Note that the text stated that the ball was popped on the infield, right side. There isn't much room on the right side of the infield. The first baseman would have half of the right side, and presumably the pitcher would have the front of the right side.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermonk
Note that the text stated that the ball was popped on the infield, right side. There isn't much room on the right side of the infield. The first baseman would have half of the right side, and presumably the pitcher would have the front of the right side.
Ambermonk:

I dissected the PbP excerpt to narrow down the problem. Text category names (from the XML Cheat Sheet) are in all caps. Numbers in front of text lines are category number and object number, from the XML file.

SWING
189-11365 the batter swings...
FLYBALL_POPUP
226-6451 it’s popped high in the air...
[not in XML] on the infield, right side...
----The above line is in the game code, not in the XML file. I don’t know what triggers it, or how it affects the display of later messages. I’ve seen it cause a similar sort of problem before.
FLYBALL_CHARGE_HARD
243-5579 running at full speed is [2nd baseman]
-----This category uses the [%game fielder] token, which (I think) can return the name of any infielder or outfielder. However, the category seems designed for describing the sort of play an outfielder would make—infielders aren’t usually thought of as charging when they run after a fly ball. In this case, it seems as though the “on the infield” line pulled from the game code might have dictated that [%game fielder] has to be one of the infielders on the right side. Or maybe the location of the batted ball was determined before the “on the infield line” was called; I can’t tell. At any rate, somewhere between now and the end of the play, [%game fielder] changed.
FIELDER_EFFORT_MISSED
217-13440 but he can't make the play...
-----Seems okay, normal extension of the event
BALL_DROPS_FOR_HIT
253-14344 that'll fall in...
-----Likewise
ADVANCE_BASE_3
14-31 [runner] reaches third base...
-----And after this line, the rest of the message comes from within the game, so I can’t determine how the right fielder got involved.
[not in XML] [runner] is on his way home...
[not in XML] but [rightfielder] just brings it into the infield...
[not in XML] he scored...
[not in XML] a RBI single by [batter]

Entered this glitch as TT #2159.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Thanks for your efforts.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon
...and not only that, but the 2nd baseman is so demoralized about it that the right fielder has to run in to pick up the ball!
Hahahaha... well, wouldn't you be if you had to charge hard for a pop-up and still couldn't make the play?

Let's see... charging hard for the second baseman... the ball would have had to land next to the pitchers mound.... sounds like a pitcher that can't field his position too.
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
SSG Troyer
All Star Starter

The "infield" part is the only misleading aspect of this that I see. Reading the text, I had a mental image of a 2B trying to make a play on the RF foul line ...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
ECrane67
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How about this one

(Batter) hits a scorchng line drive to left, the left fielder then "drifts under it"--The PbP is really the only negative I've noted about the game so far!
ECrane67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
albatross11
All Star Reserve

I've seen a batter hit a groundball weekly to a fielder...which I guess is ok if the batter is hitting that groundball every 7 days.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
Zeyes
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11
I've seen a batter hit a groundball weekly to a fielder...which I guess is ok if the batter is hitting that groundball every 7 days.
Heh. 160-8321...perhaps still possible to get fixed in time for patch 1.03?
Zeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrane67
(Batter) hits a scorchng line drive to left, the left fielder then "drifts under it"--The PbP is really the only negative I've noted about the game so far!
I've seen this kind of PBP too many times. Often, one phrase will "contradict" a previous phrase. It creates havoc with the mental picture being formed.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #14
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyes
Heh. 160-8321...perhaps still possible to get fixed in time for patch 1.03?
Text object 8321 isn't in the database any more (and isn't in the XML file that was released with the latest build for the testers). I remember fixing the "weekly" problem at one point, but I must have deleted the entry later for some other reason.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrane67
Incongruities like this one come about because of the way PbP messages are created. Individual text objects are pulled from a number of different categories to create a full sequence of events, and it isn't easy to make sure that a later bit of information doesn't seem to contradict an earlier one.

If "scorching" is the word that actually appeared in the PbP, followed by "drifts under it," then it's possible this particular problem has been solved--the word "scorching" doesn't appear in the latest version of the XML file that was distributed to testers with the latest build today. I vaguely remember doing something a while ago to get rid of disconnects like this one.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
mnyakko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

OK, I am a little bit late on this and understand the complaint. One of the pictureS in my head as I read the PbP was not really a problem. But I was wondering if there were 2 outs?

Now, think about the technicality of the Infield Fly rule. Doesn't matter how far in the outfield a fly is, if an infielder is giving chase and has a reasonable chance to catch the fly it is subject to the INFIELD FLY rule.

So what I visualized in this PbP is the 2B-man giving chase to a 'tweener in short RF (likely towards the line directly behind the 1B-man) and j.u..s...t out of his reach. And just like that the chase is on by the RF to get the ball.

I have seen plays like that in real life (and are kind of strange to notate on the scoring sheet).
mnyakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
King of Kings
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrane67 View Post
so if a batter scorched a line drive to left - right at the LF - would you say he sprint under it? to me, the pbp you reference makes perfect sense. A scorching line drive to LF that the LFer has to take just a couple steps over to catch.
King of Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
steelerz
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnyakko View Post
OK, I am a little bit late on this and understand the complaint. One of the pictureS in my head as I read the PbP was not really a problem. But I was wondering if there were 2 outs?

Now, think about the technicality of the Infield Fly rule. Doesn't matter how far in the outfield a fly is, if an infielder is giving chase and has a reasonable chance to catch the fly it is subject to the INFIELD FLY rule.

So what I visualized in this PbP is the 2B-man giving chase to a 'tweener in short RF (likely towards the line directly behind the 1B-man) and j.u..s...t out of his reach. And just like that the chase is on by the RF to get the ball.

I have seen plays like that in real life (and are kind of strange to notate on the scoring sheet).
correct me if i am wrong but doesnt it have to be a force play possibility in order to call an infield fly?? ie. a player on 1st and not a player only on 2nd..
steelerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
Nugget699
Major Leagues

No.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Would the weather (strong winds) make a difference with the original infield play? I've seen a few pbp bugs but just figure it comes from good ol' Bob Uecker announcing.

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote