Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #21
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Thank you once again!

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #22
arod23
Major Leagues

Career Average DB now available

A career average DB, based on our DB, is now available for downloading.

1. What is the Career Average DB format?
The Career Average format applies a player's average season statistics to all seasons in which he played.

2. When would I want to use this DB format vs the regular format?
You may want to use this format for importing rookie classes after first creating your league with the regular format DB.
The career average format should produce better results with pitcher development.
For single-season replays in which you are not interested in moving to the next season, the regular format is the better choice.

3. What are the pros and cons to the career average format for hitters?
With the career average format players will import based on their career average rather than their actual rookie stat line.
For a hitter like Ty Cobb, whose career average was .367, he will start out close to being able to hit that .367 mark of his career and he will consistently hit for a high average, but may never hit over .400.
With the regular fomat he may start out as a .315 hitter and gradually get better and may hit .400 a couple times.
However, there is probably a better chance he doesn't reach his full potential with the regular format and ends up as a bust.
Using either format, Cobb's career totals will be very similar, but the career arc will be very subtle with the career average format.
In a nutshell, using the career average format may give you more consistency but limit big single season performances somewhat.
Some players who had very poor rookie seasons but otherwise great careers, i.e. Ed Delahanty and Mike Schmidt, may never develop at all with the regular format but will become the great players they should be with the career average format since they start out stronger.

4. Why is the career average format better for importing rookie pitchers?
With the regular format DB there are alot of one-season rookie-wonder pitchers - meaning pitchers who had a great rookie season an therefore great initial ratings, but poorer potential ratings.
What happens is that many of these rookie wonders steal starting rotation spots away from pitchers who otherwise are much more deserving of a rotation spot.
Great pitchers often end up in the pen or busting because of so many of these types of pitchers filling up starting rotations.
The career average format smooths things out by making great pitchers better as rookies while the rookie wonder pitchers have their talent decreased since it is averaged together with their remaining career performance.
With the regular DB format, many great pitchers import with low endurance ratings which will also relegate them to bullpen duty.
With the career average format their endurance ratings which will be on target.

5. Ok, I like the idea of pitchers turning out better with the career average format, but I'd still rather have my hitters import as rookies in the regular format. Can I do this?
Yes.
In the Career Average folder you will see a file called Batting.csv, rename this file avgBatting.csv or something else.
You will also see a file called "Regular_Batting.csv", rename this file to Batting.csv.
Your hitters will now import in the regular format, while your pitchers will still import in Career Average format.
You now have a hybridized DB.
arod23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #23
Nukester
All Star Starter

Thanks a million for the career avg db !!
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #24
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Thanks i'll give this a shot
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #25
arod23
Major Leagues

v.2.1 update

Some pitchers were still importing as DH, so we have updated the fielding.csv file. Most of these players were pre-1900.
arod23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #26
M's rule
All Star Reserve

I imported the 1903 season from version 2.0 a couple of days ago. Pop Williams of the Chicago Cubs came in as a DH, so I made him into a pitcher.

Today I see there’s a 2.1 that fixes the problem—and indeed it does. Thank you, A and G!

But . . .

I performed two successive 1903 imports with version 2.1 (forgot to disable spring training the first time), and I got different results for the roles on the Cubs pitching staff. These lists are taken from the display of pitchers on the team’s home page.

First import: Second import:
SP Taylor SP Taylor
SP Lundgren SP Weimer
SP Weimer SP Menefee
SP Menefee Spot Starter Williams
Spot Starter Hardy Setup Williams
Setup Hardy Setup Hardy
Closer Williams Closer Lundgren

Is it normal to have this much difference (or any difference) between two separate imports of the same year? I realize that many of the numbers that describe a pitcher are not in the database and are not controllable---but what makes Carl Lundgren come in as a starter the first time and a closer the second time?

(Edit: Sorry about the lack of spacing between the columns. Don't know how to fix this.)

Last edited by M's rule; 07-28-2006 at 11:48 PM.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #27
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

M's rule - It's not that Lundgren is importing as a CL or anyone else as a MR who isn't supposed to, it is just that the AI is assigning those guys a different role on the pitching staff on the one import. There are only 4 rotation spots, so by default anyone else leftover has to be the MR and CL. If you do an inaugural draft you will see that just about every pitcher in the league imports as a SP.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #28
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon
M's rule - It's not that Lundgren is importing as a CL or anyone else as a MR who isn't supposed to, it is just that the AI is assigning those guys a different role on the pitching staff on the one import. There are only 4 rotation spots, so by default anyone else leftover has to be the MR and CL. If you do an inaugural draft you will see that just about every pitcher in the league imports as a SP.
Thanks, Garlon. I think I get it, but I'm still confused.

Are you saying that the AI makes different determinations about pitchers' roles from one import to another, even though each import accesses the same information?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 AM   #29
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

M's rule - The AI tries to fill as many spots on the pitching staff as possible. It will change a pitcher's role as it sees fit in determining where he best fits in with the staff. It is the individual team that assigns the pitcher a role, so it is not set in stone. A guy may be a MR or CL for one team, get traded, and then the other AI team decides this pitcher is best suited to be in the rotation for them and change his role to SP. Basically the team AI changes the pitcher's role as necessary depending on their staff's needs...it won't leave a pitcher's role as SP if he is not in the rotation, but if a SP gets injured and it decides to use one of their MR's as a SP it will change that pitcher's role to SP. I have seen the AI use Mariano Rivera as a starter instead of a CL. Essentialy that role you see just designates how the pitcher is currently being used by a team. When you do an inaugural or rookie draft, the role you see assigned to a pitcher is what he was really used as historically.

In your 1903 import, for some reason the AI came up with 2 different decisions regarding what to do with Lundgren. This could be due to some randomness in the AI. It could be due to slight differences in the import ratings of a player...you can import the same player several times in a row from the DB and you will see that they import with slightly different ratings each time, like +/- a point or two for certain ratings.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #30
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Thanks again. I really do get it this time.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #31
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I'm amazed at how much work and support you have put into this through all of our years of OOTP. It is greatly appreciated.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #32
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

I just downloaded the new roster and newest patch, and started a historical league starting in 1981. There are a lot of duplicate players - all free agents who sign at the beginning of January despite their duplicates also being on the correct team. Is this something that has been happening with the new patch, or is it something I'm doing?
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #33
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Thanks arod for a clear explanation of what your career avg DB is and isnt, what it does and how to use and interpret it!
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #34
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

fauteuil7 - I just imported 1981. I did not get any duplicate players showing up. There were 2 Free Agents tho for some reason, but I don't think this is a DB problem since it is something we have seen since the first release of the game - a couple random players impoting as FA's when you first stat a league.

Try starting over with a fresh import ansd see if you can reproduce the same error.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Thanks for getting back, Garlon. I did restart the league with a new import (loaded template, deleted 1981 and the AAA I set up, re-imported 1981, created new AAA) and the same thing happened. This time I knew about it though, so I deleted all the free agents on January 1st, so none of them got signed. I'll be interested to see if this happens when the Ammy draft happens as well, or if it's just an initial import problem.

Oh, and thank you so much for working on this; it's a big improvement on Lahman, even if I did have to edit Dave Righetti's endurance to make him a starter.

<----------------------------
Old 08-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #36
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Hey guys i relly am enjoying my historical replay with your database, but i do have a few questions and observations to pass along. Where to start ? btw this is not intended as a knock against your work just an experience i am having and not complaing, just pointing a few things out; so here goes. I am getting alot of positives as far as player results, and i know the game doesn't recognize names, but it's refreshing to see your Ruth's, Cobb's, and Mantle's have nice careers, as well as the Walter Johnson's, Warren Spahn's, and Doc White's of the world have less than stellar one's. I love the not so certain predictability the database allows for. Observation 1- Eric Davis comes into the league in 1948, has a decent showing over an 8 year span then retires. I honestly forgot about that guy as a Red in the mid '80's, but there he is photo and all in 1948 I do wonder if he'll reappear in 1984 to resume his career. Now under normal cicumstances when i catch this happening i just release the player and delete him from the league, some get by me and i end up with doubles, duplicate players whatever you wanna call them, and they're just stuck that way in the history books no big deal.

Observation 2 - Warren Spahn, Ted Williams, and Sandy Koufax did not import at all i had to import them individually when i caught it. I only know the big name guys so when it's apparent they're not there i'm all over it to bring them in. Again easy fixes when you have the Baseball Encyclopedia at your disposal as i do.

Observation 3 - This was kind of cool kind of strange, and very out of the ordinary but i like it. Now i am a huge Willie Mays fan. He came into the league normally in February but with very poor potential according to the editor so normally he's going to struggle in his career and come nowhere close to where he should, and that's ok it's my universe afterall lol. Anyway Mays joins in 1951, and is in the big leagues in 1952. In 8 years he has 1100 hits and 246 homeruns. In 1959 at the age of 27, on a 20-80 scale contact, gap, power of 46,59,61 not bad numbers, but not really Mays like to this fan is traded to the KC Athletics for a 41 year old outfielder and $73,500. I'm thinking one of two things here. The now San Francisco Giants who just moved into Seals stadium, a much smaller venue than in NY (props to Bruce and his BB chronlogy) can no longer afford their best player and off he goes OR his ratings just aren't good enough to warrant mortgaging the farm to keep him. At any rate a stud and some cash are dealt to free up some space for the future in Sanfran. Very cool though as history takes an unforseen turn, but i guess i say all that to say should the "Say Hey" kid deserved better numbers(potnetial) you think ? I realize the database is huge, but in this case do you think maybe this one got by?
One question does keep coming to mind and i need to know if you believe that this may be the case. Along with using this great database i am using Anderson's photo's importing on a random basis for my fictional players that i generate once the minors leagues get depleted. Do you suppose that in the case of Eric Davis coming in so early that since his photo was randomly generated that the game itself matched the face with the player ? I don't know if that's possible, i mean the game continues to wow me everyday with it's core abilities that the question has come to mind. As far as i can tell he is the only player that i have noticed to make an early appearance.

In summary of this long winded post the positives far out weigh the rare anomalies throughout my replay, and thanks again for your continued work. btw i am running your current version database.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #37
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Tycobbler - I don't know how Eric Davis would appear as a rookie in 1948 in your simulation. I checked the DB and he is set to debut in 1986. I don't know how that could have happened. Definitely not a DB issue. I don't see how the AU photo program could force the game to grab a player from the DB and import him, that doesn't really seem like a possibility. I think a randomly created fictional player came into your league with the name Eric Davis since you said you were doing this to fill minor leagues. The real Eric Davis was born 5-29-1962 in Los Angeles, CA...does this match what you are seeing in the personal data of the Eric Davis in your league? If not, then your Eric Davis is just a fictional guy who happens to share the same name as a real player.

Spahn is set to debut in 1943. Ted Williams in 1939. Sandy Koufax in 1957. I have no idea why these players would not import into the rookie draft for you in those seasons. Again, this is not a DB issue. If this happened it must be a bug with OOTP. These players imported fine in simulations I have run in the past. Are you certain that these players didn't actually import but you just missed them somehow? Use the game's built in search functon (magnifying glass, upper right corner) and type in Koufax and see if you come up with two of them.

As for Mays' Contact/Gap/Power the game assigns these in a standard way for all players. There is nothing wrong with Mays in the DB. The 20-80 scale just seems sort of non-intuitive unless you are really used to that scale. An 80 contact guy would probably be like a Cobb or Hornsby and an 80 hr guy would be like a Ruth or McGwire. I always use the 1-100 scale when I play. The scales of course don't change anything aout how a player performs, it is just a way to change how precise your scouting data is on a player. The Mays in your league seems liek he is right where his ratings should be for he most part.

Mays rookie and potential ratings imported from reg DB using the 20-80 scale:
gap: 54/55
hr power:57/65

Mickey Mantle rookie and potential imported from reg DB on the 20-80 scale:
gap: 47/49
hr power: 55/68

If you used the Career Avg DB for rookies, their rookie ratings will match their potential ratings.

There is a rookiedraft.txt file that we included in the DB folder. This has the yearly rookie debut list for our DB. Remember, our DB imports players in their first full season.

Last edited by Garlon; 08-04-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #38
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Garlon - thanks again for your work on and support of the DB. I got to the Ammy draft in the 1981 league and all the players were imported correctly so it seems like it was just a problem with the initial import.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #39
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I have a question about the regular version of the ARod23/Garlon database. It says on the website:

Added missing seasons for all players who missed entire years of play due to service in the military during WWII, 1942-1945.

What does this mean exactly? Were these players given fictional statistics, or were they given statistics for these years based on career averages? What was the purpose of this?

Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #40
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Yeah i checked the DB as well on Davis after i noticed him. This must be a fictional Eric Davis born 8-1-1921 in Guntersville, Ala. and the photo was assigned to him as our 5-29-1962 counterpart. That would also explain these duplicate players appearing in different decades yet with the same photo; and their are a bunch. Funny these fictionals are getting some of the actual names from the past in there lol. Again not knocking the DB just looking for common sense answers if you will, and i believe we've found them. The fictional dupe's usually see most of their careers in the minors with just 1-2 at the ML level. The most interesting aspect of all this is in the Html reports, under history/players it shows all the players, years played etc etc and of course you can click on their player reports to view them. Now if you go back to the initial history page and click on the retired players tab the dupes are gone and just one name appears. Strange, but yeah it's a game thing. I knew this all along just wanted to share some experiences while using your DB.

As far as Koufax, Williams, and Spahn not importing; no i didn't miss them being there, and did a player search first before importing them individually. I mean names like that are hard to miss , but stranger things have happened so it's really not a big deal just more of an observation, caught it and moved on.

Thanks for the Mantle / Mays comparison, funny you should mention the two. They couldn't be more different in performance so far. Mantle has 6 mvp awards and two homerun titles to Mays' nothing. Two 28 year olds now, with similar rating #'s and different results. To me that's very cool in a sense of unpredictability. That is what makes doing a historical replay so much fun. You just never know. Keep up the good work buddy !