Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

What trading difficulty do you guys use?

What trading difficulty do you guys use? Which one seems to be the most realistic?
drewandpedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Hard/Neutral works best for me.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Very Difficult, favor prospects
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post

In terms of Neutral, do you find that it allows the AI to better consider the overall trades? (i.e. if you use favor prospects, would it lead to the AI overvaluing a prospect to its disadvantage in a particular trade).
Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
Poonox24
Minors (Triple A)

I’ve been asking this for a while too. Hopefully more people reply. I use very hard and favor prospects but I’m concerned that the CPU then undervalues vets and what I really want to see is the cpu be willing to trade top prospects for vets at the deadline.
Poonox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Hard everyday, Very hard if I'm feeling spicy. Anything less and I just crush the AI so hard it's ridiculous...and I end up feeling guilty and starting a new league.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

I leave it at very hard. At that level I make trades that I'll later find I like and some I regret. (More or less evenly matched, from a casual observation.) That's about where I it to be.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 07-09-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Same here. It's not that I like frustration overly much, but I do want to be challenged and when it's set for Average Difficulty, I can exploit the AI and consistently win. Then it's the opposite of frustration for me: boredom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
In terms of Neutral, do you find that it allows the AI to better consider the overall trades? (i.e. if you use favor prospects, would it lead to the AI overvaluing a prospect to its disadvantage in a particular trade).
That's the very reason why I leave it on Neutral Preference, related to what I said above. If I know what the AI prefers, I'm sure I can exploit it in some manner.

Hard/Neutral just feels like the level playing field.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
I just feel it's most balanced to me. Sometimes a trade requires you to trade a good vet for a prospect and vice versa and i feel like leaving it to neutral is the most realistic, at least for how i feel trades should be. Although truthfully i have not experimented with the other settings much but this seems to be working well for me so if it's not broke...
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

I find the whole trading debate fascinating - to the point that I've wanted to try my hand at writing my own AI trading logic (...one of these days).

But. Right now I'm using Normal/Neutral. On that setting I find the AI to be pretty good -tactically good at least, not necessarily strategically.

There are a few important things to note however:

This is a fictional league
It's currently 1893 - (I started in 1871), and the reserve clause is in effect.

Since it's a fictional league, there is no name-recognition effect like what you have if you play historical or modern. I often wonder if much of the outrage over bad AI trades doesn't stem from this name-recognition effect.

Second, since it's in the reserve clause era, there are no bad contracts to worry about and most teams are in great shape financially. This makes the AI's job a lot easier and it seems to do a great job in this era - when talent evaluation and projection are the only things it has to consider. The financial considerations are less important.

My observation is that the trade AI seems to get better with every version. In past versions my favorite strategy would be to pry top prospects loose from the AI teams. Do this enough and you've got a constant pipeline of young players and a surplus of older talent just about to decline that you could trade for more prospects.

That strategy no longer works. At least not so far. The AI won't part with a top prospect for *anything* it seems. I shudder to think how tightly the AI would hold on to prospects if I had it set to "favor prospects". It's nice that I have to adapt my strategy, but I think maybe it's gone overboard. Sometimes I think that if I cloned a team's top prospect and put 5 clones on my team and offered them for that prospect that it still wouldn't take the deal. (I may actually try that)

What is working for me now though is to trade for younger established players. These, the AI will part with. It won't trade a 21-23 year old prospect for anything, but it will trade good players in the 26-28 year old range. I still have to give up a lot of talent to get them though, so I don't feel that I'm fleecing the AI too badly.

Remember though - 19th century baseball is odd. Hardly any home runs, so power is less important. Not many strikeouts, so avoid K's is not so important, and not too many walks either. And especially, the lack of financial worries - so what I'm saying and observing may not apply at all to most of you....

One more observation: if you make the trade, it means that you thought it was a good trade. This is almost by definition - few people will purposely make a bad trade. So there is a bias toward thinking that you've fleeced the AI. There is a recent thread where the poster was worried that he had fleeced the AI. But after other posters had chimed in - it wasn't so clear anymore who it was that had been fleeced. It may be the AI is better than you think.
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Hard/neutral
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Very difficult / Favor prospects
CraigBShuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #13
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
. I often wonder if much of the outrage over bad AI trades doesn't stem from this name-recognition effect.

this right here.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I use default as I have seen horrendous lopsided trades in my favor and for my opponent (AI) I tend to see even trades by star value between AIs …. However from what I have seen over the years. We humans value different things in a trade where as the AI only values what is programmed for each level. As I have tried each level over the years. No complaints. If I find it too easy for me I just add a few players to the deal or picks (vica versa as well) and hit trade no big deal to me.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very hard/neutral
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I've found that the type of game I'm playing matters.

By that I mean choosing 'favor veterans' is good for historic leagues where development is not really an issue. Plus all teams see the same scouting report, so that is not an issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I just feel it's most balanced to me. Sometimes a trade requires you to trade a good vet for a prospect and vice versa and i feel like leaving it to neutral is the most realistic, at least for how i feel trades should be. Although truthfully i have not experimented with the other settings much but this seems to be working well for me so if it's not broke...
Thanks for the read.

I am in a rebuilding year (MLB Standard game with the 2019 Orioles), so I may look to go with Neutral after this year or the next.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
Minors (Double A)

on a related note, what trade frequency do you guys use?

Is the trading out of control if you set it at above average or whatever?
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #19
Poonox24
Minors (Triple A)

Any recommendations if I would like to see more trades at the deadline where teams out of the playoff race trade veterans for top level prospects??
Poonox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #20
alphington
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010010 View Post
on a related note, what trade frequency do you guys use?

Is the trading out of control if you set it at above average or whatever?
I just experimented in a league of 20 teams playing a 162 game season (two divisions) starting in 1960 - played year 1-3 with 'average' trading checked then years 4,5,6,7 with it changed to v.high.

Not much difference!

year number of major trades
1----- 38
2----- 31
3 ----- 26
4----- 39 (first year of v.high)
5 ----- 36
6 ----- 29
7 ----- 27

It's a tiny sample but I was hoping for a much larger increase after switching to v. high. With 20 teams we are still looking at an average of under 2 trades per team per year.
alphington is offline   Reply With Quote