Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Commish Predictions: Cook Division

Note: These are simply just my own predictions of how things might shape up. They are not meant to insult anybody, they are meant for you to either prove me wrong – or prove me right.

Cook Division Preview:

7th Place: RIBC

Offense: B
If RIBC is going to prove me wrong it will be because their offense just pounds people into submission. Munoz, Gonzalez and Smallwood all represent significant power threats in the heart of the lineup. However, I find there is a big drop off from there in terms offensive ability. The only significant speed on this team is in the form of a young player who might not even be ready to contribute to a big league club with his bat. Hill, Cook and Fontenot are going to have to be a lot better than below .700 OPS hitters if RIBC wants to have a chance.

Starting Pitching: D
This staff doesn’t have an ace, and the starters they have (potentially only 4) are average on their best days. Michael Graham represents the best strikeout pitcher they have but he’s also a rookie and might face significant control issues. Carlos Martinez is a batting practice pitcher who will contribute many tape measure HR to the opposition. The staff simply isn’t good enough.

Relief Pitching: D
Like the starting staff, they aren’t bad enough to get an F but they certainly do not bring much to the table. Their late inning guys do not have good enough stuff to keep the opposition off the bases – and in a close game, that will be a dagger to the RIBC. The best reliever is probably Brooks, but he has some control issues that will stop him from being truly feared.

Wins Give or Take 5: 75

6th Place: USBL

Offense: A-
This team will have no problem hitting the ball out of the park. They have five hitters who can hit 20+, but could have their entire lineup in double digits except for McPherson. McPherson will provide the speed if his manager lets him run wild. You pair him and Carver with guys who can hit the ball as well as guys like Padilla & Woods, and you have an offense that will be near the tops in the league. They will have one of the most fun lineups to watch in the league.

Starting Pitching: C-
The rotation has some talent in it, but none of which are guys I like to see leading a staff. In spite of their lack of K ability – the defense is sound in USBL so it should benefit guys like Lloyd Patterson for example. I will say though, this team’s starting staff is going to get themselves in a lot of trouble with the BB. Shelton, Thomas and Hoffman all have below average control – and that could be a killer.

Relief Pitching: D
No real shut down guys in this bullpen. A few guys here and there like Jaramillo who can give USBL some real quality innings out of the bullpen though. Still, in a close game – there is nobody in this bullpen I would feel 100% comfortable with handing the ball off to.

Wins Give or Take 5: 77

5th Place: WBH

Offense: C+
I would call WBH’s lineup a light version of USBL. They have HR threats like Edwards, Fortin and Madrid – and where they lack in later lineup power, they make up by having three guys Palen, Lopez, and Jones who can swipe over 20 bases each. I would say the difference between their lineup and USBL is they will get less contributions from the lower half of their lineup. That will put immense pressure on the best players to be on their game every day.

Starting Pitching: C
Again, very similar to USBL in terms of overall ability. This rotation doesn’t have an ace, and doesn’t have anybody who can get the job done on their own without the help of their defense or park. Where I’d say they are slightly better is they won’t get themselves in trouble with BB. Their starter with the worst control (Hill) might be one of USBL’s best if they swapped. They have a decent enough rotation to compete for a close to .500 team.

Relief Pitching: B
I do like this bullpen to be honest. Mathieu could come into his own as a big league shut down closer just in time for WBH to benefit from it. Overall, the bullpen does what a bullpen needs to do. They don’t give up a lot of HR and they keep runners off the bases. Other than Mathieu, nobody else will slam the door shut – but they still have enough talent to battle and grind out close games.

Wins Give or Take 5: 78

4th Place: ITDB

Offense: C
Overall, they are middle of the pack when it comes to offensive production. However, they have two run producers who can change everything in Moorthy and Jim Thomas. Speaking of guys who can change everything, Avery Daniel & Avery Baxter are the cream of the crop when it comes to base stealing in this league. The offense overall will be middle of the pack, but when Daniel & Baxter get on ahead of Moorthy & Thomas, there may not be a more fun offense to watch.

Starting Pitching: B
Larson & Fisher are as good of a 1-2 punch as you will find. They have 200K stuff, which gives their team a chance to win every time they pitch. A four man rotation should prove interesting with these two guys at the top. I wonder how they will do on short rest consistently.

Relief Pitching: D+
Their closer, Rhett Johnstone is definitely a shut down guy so if he gets the ball, ITDB should feel very good about their chances. The issue will be whether they can get the ball to him with a lead if the rest of the bullpen gets the ball. They aren’t terrible don’t get me wrong, they just aren’t that good.

Wins Give or Take 5: 82

3rd Place: Asahi2

Offense: C+
Their offense is not as flashy with power or speed as some others in this division, but they will be consistently good enough to get the job done. They have guys like Floyd & Morrison who can swipe bags and a few guys who can hit for power. Where they excel is that they will hit for average, with possibly 4 guys hitting close to .300. Their defense is borderline elite as well which will help their staff for sure.

Starting Pitching: C-
When they put the ball in play, they will be supported by a great defense. The issue here will certainly be whether or not they can pump the brakes on the BB. The staff has no true ace, and is going to all be near 1.30+ in WHIP which means they will need that defense to help them out.

Relief Pitching: B-
Their top 2 relievers, Kirby & Peterson are very good. A curious case will be whether Davis is ready for the big leagues. If Asahi2 was right, then they could have 3 very strong bullpen arms for the late innings. In a close game, this bullpen will help Asahi2 immensely.

Wins Give or Take 5: 83

2nd Place: BSA

Offense: C-
They certainly do not lack power with Hill, Lee, Murdoch and Coonrod all having the ability to hit 20 HR. The big question for this lineup is whether or not their best run producers like Lee can get on base enough to cause the damage they need to. The BSA has guys who do not have the greatest contact ability out there. Lee, Harris, Coonrod for example might all hit for a very low average. So if a guy like Lee’s power isn’t clicking, he won’t get the BB you hope which turns him into more of an automatic out. They have talent here don’t get me wrong, but they look to me like a team destined for some long slumps from some of their best hitters.

Starting Pitching: A
They have pretty much everything you want out of a 5 man rotation. They have an ace (Gillespie), they have guys who can hang in there for long outings, and they have guys who will keep the ball inside the park. They normally will not get themselves in trouble with walks either, which paired with the gloves for BSA makes this rotation very effective.

Relief Pitching: C
I thought at first this would be a fluke, but turns out it’s a trend. This bullpen’s theme will be the “wrong pitch.” Their four most depended on relievers all have 1 pitch that is borderline terrible. Meaning what exactly? Meaning at any given time, there could be an explosion on the field. If they avoid those terrible pitches, they will be okay enough. But, none of them are legitimate shut down guys and all of them can find their way into trouble by throwing…the wrong pitch.

Wins Give or Take 5: 86
1st Place: ULB

Offense: C-
Byers & Roldan will need to play like MVP candidates if I am going to be right about this 1st place prediction. ULB also has three guys with 25+ SB ability which includes Duran who can steal 35+, if he can get on base. That will be the issue for this offense. They lack in OBP ability, and will need to maximize their opportunities when they have them. Their speed will help a ton.

Starting Pitching: B-
Leon Bryant gives ULB an ace every 5th start, always a plus. I love the fact he not only has K ability but he doesn’t give up BB almost at all. Rivera & Malet compliment Bryant very nicely to give them a solid 1-3 rotation. Their 4-5 are not very good to be honest, which will force Bryant to be a true stopper.

Relief Pitching: A+
The best bullpen in the OOTPGCL. They do not give up many HR, and they can dominant from middle relief to closer. When you have that type of ability in this league, you should have success. The problem? Bullpens can be unpredictable – they need the ball with a lead which leans heavily on the offense. But, if they get the ball with a lead, game over.

Wins Give or Take 5: 89
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
GoBraves241
Minors (Single A)

ULB hasn't started well and OOTP has forced my bullpen into some bad situations. Made some major changes going into the next sim. Hopefully we'll right this ship.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
BSAIndyLions
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Let's go BSA...the league is behind you John
BSAIndyLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
WBH_Vancouver
Bat Boy

Nice writeup. I will take comfort in the fact that you failed to mention my top hitter Alex "Ogre" Bridges who had a huge breakout year in 1984 with 60+ xbh, .871 OPS and 7 WAR and is currently tearing up the GCL with a 1.241 OPS. Of course he's one of the few guys on my team hitting - Lopez is killing me in the leadoff spot wit a .200 OBP and .311 OPS and #2 hitter Eric Jones has yet to draw a walk. "Biggest Douche in the Universe" Jonathan Edwards has been a steaming turd in the cleanup spot with a *gag* *cough* .254 OPS Gonna move some guys around and try to light a spark. If this offense turns around we may be respectable.
WBH_Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Can't be perfect right WBH? I have to check my notes but I think I was expecting a power drop for Bridges based on going to a neutral park as opposed to a hitters park
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote