Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

Expanded Designated Hitter Options

This certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but how about seeing some new options for the designated hitter? Right now it's either on or off, which is all we've seen in any pro league...but other options have been proposed by writers or coaches. There's Tom Trebelhorn's "designated pinch hitter": a bench player who can pinch hit four times a game, no more than once in the same inning. There's the "buddy DH", who you have to remove when you remove the pitcher. There's my personal favorite, the "one-and-done" DH - basically, you can send in a pinch hitter for the pitcher and keep the pitcher in the game, but the hitter is done for the game and can't come back in. (That introduces some strategy...save the "DHs" for late in the game, or use them up and risk having to bat a pitcher in extra innings?) There might be a few other options as well, but these are the ones I've seen discussed.

Visit The Boardwalk for Sports, Gaming, and other talk!
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

The other piece would be to allow the DH to be set for any spot in the lineup. For example if you have a good hitting pitcher you may want to DH for the weak hitting SS. Similarly some college rules would allow you to be both the pitcher and the DH... meaning that you can be removed from the game as a pitcher, but still be in the lineup as a DH.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Let's not make OOTP worse before MLB does it for us.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
post1113
Bat Boy

Thumbs up I like it.

More DH options the better. MLB will get to it.
post1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

" (That introduces some strategy...save the "DHs" for late in the game, or use them up and risk having to bat a pitcher in extra innings?)"

I just love the arguments for strategy. <sarcasm> If you want strategy get rid of the DH.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Let's not make OOTP worse before MLB does it for us.
Agreed! The one DH rule I would like to see added, is the one used in AAA and AA. The DH is only in effect when the affiliates of both teams are from the National League.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

"Expanded Designated Hitter Options"

How about "If you use the DH you forfeit the game for batting out of order."
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Yeah, it'd be cool to see OOTP be ahead of the curve on this
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I think it’d be cool on paper but OOTP already has a big issue with there being so many options that it’s extremely daunting for new players, and each little wrinkle that gets added becomes yet another feature that has to be understood or, what may be worse, ignored. Also, the AI is bound to not work well with added DH rules and IMO any time spent on the AI should really be spent on the base game AI (well, and overhauling scouting, but that’s my own pet peeve).

Sorry to be a stick in the mud here but with this kind of thing I’d kind of prefer that it be actually implemented in some major, minor, or international league before it winds up in the game.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
RosaRoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
"Expanded Designated Hitter Options"

How about "If you use the DH you forfeit the game for batting out of order."

Hey man, I get you dislike the DH, but being toxic about it won't fix anything. This is a suggestion thread, not a talk sports one. The validity of the DH rule or whether it should be enabled for your league is not what's being discussed here.

With that said and to get to the topic at hand. Yeah, I think this would be a great addition, having a number of DH rules for different leagues would help add some more realism or spice into custom leagues.
RosaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaRoo View Post
Hey man, I get you dislike the DH, but being toxic about it won't fix anything. This is a suggestion thread, not a talk sports one. The validity of the DH rule or whether it should be enabled for your league is not what's being discussed here.

With that said and to get to the topic at hand. Yeah, I think this would be a great addition, having a number of DH rules for different leagues would help add some more realism or spice into custom leagues.
I get where you are coming from but the DH rule is going to be what applies to the game or game world. Maybe a future release will mimic the NCAA version of the Designated Hitter: The pitcher can be the DH.
BIG WORLD for OOTP22: WinRAR File ZIP file
My Custom Schedules

nutt is online now   Reply With Quote