Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: FAQ

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Post Bruce M's "Historical Expansion" tutorial

Expansion in OOTP3
This process will be explained assuming you are running an historical league started sometime prior to 1961 and you wish to have expansion occur as it did in real life.

I’ll be adding some notes at the end to help those who just wish to expand at their own leisure.

In real life, baseball expanded 6 times, in 1961, 62, 69, 77, 93, & 98

Along with expansion, there were franchise moves/name changes at different times throughout baseball history

My process will cover expansion and franchise moves/name changes from 62 to 1972

1962 – Expansion in the NL

1. Complete the entire 61 season including play-offs, then “Proceed to next year”

2. Import your rookies to their real teams. (Don’t worry about the rookies for the new teams, they will be placed in the FA pool where you can move them onto the correct team after)

3. Go to league setup, the “Edit League Structure”

4. In the NL, click “Add team”

5. Once the team is added, go to the individual team page, then setup and name the team. In this case “New York (N)” Team abbreviation must be “NY”

6. Now back to league setup, “Edit League Structure”

7. Add another team in the NL

8. Go to the individual team page, then setup and name the team. In this case “Houston” Team abbreviation must be “HOU”

9. Now, what I did ahead of time was go to baseballreference.com and make a list of the players that were on each team for their inaugural seasons. I then went to the FA pool, signed the rookies to the correct team. I then released the other players from the team they were on into the FA Pool. After this, I then signed them to either New York or Houston as per actual history.

10. Once I had all players on the correct team, I then went back to league setup, “Run Computer Manager” This will move the players around on the expansion teams as well as the others and create line-ups, depth charts, pitching rotations, etc.

11. Go to league setup, “Edit Schedule”

12. “Clear” the schedule, then generate a new one. This is necessary for obvious reasons

13. I hit run computer manager one more time after this.

14. You can now run spring training and proceed with your season.

15. One thing here, after spring training, go to league schedule, and look at the pitching matchups. Ensure there is a starter listed for every team. If a team has no starter listed, the game will crash when you try to sim.

16. I had this problem with the 69 expansion, the 4 new teams had no starters listed. The problem was, in the team’s individual page, go to pitching, and then look at where it says rotation size and “next starter” If “next starter” says 0, then click on it so it says 1. Do this for any team that didn’t have a pitching match up. Go back to the schedule and you should have pitching matchups. Like I say, this only happened to me in 69 when I added 4 teams, not in 62 when I added 2.

17. You may now run your 62 season.
1963 – No league changes

1964 – End season franchise name change

The Los Angeles Angels changed their name to California Angels for the 1965 season.

1. At the end of 1964, just before clicking on “Proceed to next year”, go into Los Angels Setup page and change the team abbreviation to “CAL”

2. Leave the team name as Los Angeles for now

3. Go ahead and proceed to next season, import rookies to real team

4. Once the new season has begun, go to Los Angeles team setup page and change the team name to “California”

5. Following these steps assures you of 2 things.

· Your league history for 1964 will reflect correct standings in that they will show “Los Angeles” and not California. (Changing team name to California prior to proceeding to next season will result in league history showing final 64 standings with California and not Los Angeles)

· The real rookies will be imported to California because you changed the abbreviation to “CAL”
1965 – End season franchise move

The Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta for the 1966 season

1. If you follow the steps for Los Angeles/California, you’ll have no problems here.

2. That is to say, change Milwaukee’s abbreviation to “ATL” just before proceeding to next year.

3. Once the next year has begun, change the team name to Atlanta
1966 - No league changes

1967 – End season franchise move

The Kansas City Athletics moved to Oakland for the 1968 season

Follow the same steps as the Milwaukee to Atlanta move

1968 - No league changes

1969 – Expansion & Division splitting in both leagues

1. Complete the entire 68 season including play-offs, then “Proceed to next year”

2. Import your rookies to their real teams. (Don’t worry about the rookies for the new teams, they will be placed in the FA pool where you can move them onto the correct team after)

3. Go to league setup, the “Edit League Structure”

4. AL – “Add division”

5. In the new division “Add team”

6. Go to the new team setup page and name the team Kansas City. Team abbreviation must be “KC”

7. Back to league setup, “Edit league structure”

8. Add another team in the new AL Division

9. Go to the new team setup page and name the team Seattle. Team abbreviation must be “SEA”

10. Back to league setup, “Edit league structure”

11. Now, go to the original division, find Baltimore, click on exchange, and then when the window pops up, exchange Baltimore with Seattle

12. Find Boston, click on exchange, and then when the window pops up, exchange Boston with Kansas City

13. Add another team in the new AL Division

14. Go to the original division, find Cleveland, click on exchange, then when the window pops up, exchange Cleveland with “New Team”
15. Now delete the “New Team” in the original division that was just exchanged with Cleveland

16. Add another team in the new AL Division

17. Go to the original division, find Detroit, click on exchange, and then when the window pops up, exchange Detroit with “New Team”

18. Now delete the “New Team” in the original division that was just exchanged with Detroit

19. Follow steps 13 through 15 for the Yankees and Senators

20. Now follow steps 4 through 19 for the NL. Remember; only add one team at a time.
21. For the NL, you’ll only be exchanging San Diego with a team from the original division. Montreal will stay in the division you created them in. This just means creating one more new team for the other exchange.

22. Now to get players on the expansion teams.

23. Again, what I did ahead of time was go to baseballreference.com and make a list of the players that were on each team for their inaugural seasons. I then went to the FA pool, signed the rookies to the correct team. I then released the other players from the team they were on into the FA Pool. After this, I then signed them to either Montreal, San Diego, Kansas City, or Seattle as per actual history.

24. Once I had all players on the correct team, I then went back to league setup, “Run Computer Manager” This will move the players around on the expansion teams as well as the others and create line-ups, depth charts, pitching rotations, etc.

25. Go to league setup, “Edit Schedule”

26. “Clear” the schedule, then generate a new one. This is necessary for obvious reasons

27. I hit run computer manager one more time after this.

28. You can now run spring training and proceed with your season.

29. Remember to check the schedule and make sure every team has a pitching match up for the first day. If not, check the rotations again and make sure it is set to #1 for next starter.

30. On a side note, after I was done adding the teams and getting everyone in the correct division, I went to “League setup” and named the divisions East and West Division to remain with real history

You may now run your 69 season.

1969 – End season franchise move

The Seattle Pilots moved to Milwaukee for the 1970 season

Follow the steps for the Milwaukee to Atlanta move. Just before Proceed to next year, change Seattle’s team abbreviation to “MIL”. Once the new season has begun, change the team name to Milwaukee

1970 – No league changes

1971 – End season franchise move

The Washington Senators moved to Texas for the 1972 season and also exchanged divisions with the Milwaukee Brewers

Follow the steps for the Seattle to Milwaukee move. Just before Proceed to next year, change Washington’s team abbreviation to “TEX”. Once the new season has begun, change the team name to Texas

Now go into League setup, “Edit league structure”

Find Texas in the East division, click on exchange, and then select Milwaukee

Now proceed with your season
This concludes my expansion tutorial. I am including several notes now to hopefully help with expansion in general
1. If you wish to have real rookies imported to their correct teams when expanding, you have to add the expansion teams at the end of the previous season after the World Series. What this does, is in your league history (I’ll use 69 for this example) for 68, the final standings will show as the league having 4 divisions and will also show the 4 new teams as having finished the season with 0-0 records.

Now, I haven’t tried this myself, but I’ve heard you can edit the league history later on. It is a text file, so you can open it with just about any text editor.

My views on this are as follows:

Baseball expanded just 6 times in history

When you import the rookies from the Lehman DB each year, there are on avg, 10 – 14 rookies per team imported.
I would rather have my history correct and take the 5 – 10 minutes required to sign the rookies from the pool onto the correct team. It just seems to me that editing the text file would be more work, but that’s only my opinion. Yours may differ.
2. If you are running financials, there are a few ways to deal with this. Turn them off while doing the expansion, signing the rookies, releasing the players from original teams and signing them to expansion teams. Turn them back on after.

If you want to have the expansion players signed with contracts, leave financials on. If you aren’t happy with the amounts, you can do a couple of things. Edit team finances so they have a ton of money for the signings. You can always use Pierre’s great utility to change the contracts after.

3. For leagues or players who wish to expand at random, such as an online league, and not like real history, you should be able to follow all these basic steps as far as the actual adding of the teams. Since you’re not concerned about the Lehamn DB, I recommend adding the teams after the new season is begun.

A few things to consider:
Online league, you’ll have to determine how you want to handle an expansion draft, such as each team may protect “X” number of players, then after losing 2, they can protect “X” number more, etc etc.

Once you determine your ground rules, then it’s just a matter of having each owner prepare his protected list, allowing the new owners to draft players. Release the players from their original teams into the pool and sign them onto the new team. Again, you can adjust contracts/finances after with Pierre’s utility.

One final note on expansion; in 1994 baseball went to the three (3) division format in each league. No teams were added at this time, so all you’ll have to do is create the new divisions, then create a new team for each “exchange”. Remember, do them all one (1) at a time, including adding the divisions.

I think I’ve covered everything here, but on the chance I missed something, or you have any questions, feel free to email me at bmuench@accesscable.net

I’m always happy to help in any way I can

“Hitting is timing”
“Pitching is upsetting timing”
Warren Spahn
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Closed Thread