Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #41
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
If sports are played in what amounts to a quarantine bubble, the risk becomes negligible and the reward could be incredible
Sports fans: being in quarantine is driving me crazy

Also sports fans: athletes should go into a much stricter quarantine than I'm in so I'm not so bored
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #42
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if the Boras idea is the means to go forward, i don't see how an outbreak could happen as long as the virus doesn't mutate into something that its yet to have become. The players aren't going to just show up tomorrow and play... they will be quarantined separately for weeks before coming to together to ramp up to being ready to play games. They aren't breaking quarantine to go home after the games, they would in fact have zero contact with the outside world until it was deemed safe to do so.
What are you talking about? We know for a fact that you can be a carrier without showing symptoms and infect people that way. Rudy Gobert was asymptomatic when he pulled that awful prank with the microphones right before the NBA shut down, for example. I don’t think anyone knows how 4 Brooklyn Nets players were infected but it was likely just hanging around.

There is simply no way to preserve the 6 foot rule in athletics, and every game, even if you have no crowds, is a potential super spreading event just the same was that choir practice in Washington state, where they tried to keep 6 feet away from everyone, was. It’s a terrible idea and a horribly short sighted business decision if anyone tried to restart before this has gone away.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #43
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
What are you talking about? We know for a fact that you can be a carrier without showing symptoms and infect people that way. Rudy Gobert was asymptomatic when he pulled that awful prank with the microphones right before the NBA shut down, for example. I don’t think anyone knows how 4 Brooklyn Nets players were infected but it was likely just hanging around.

There is simply no way to preserve the 6 foot rule in athletics, and every game, even if you have no crowds, is a potential super spreading event just the same was that choir practice in Washington state, where they tried to keep 6 feet away from everyone, was. It’s a terrible idea and a horribly short sighted business decision if anyone tried to restart before this has gone away.
Yeah

But have you considered that people like sports
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #44
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:

You skip the part about a 3 week quarantine? So apples and oranges from the Washington choir practice.
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #45
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
The WWE moved all their shows (Raw, Smackdown, NXT and Wrestlemania) to their Performance Center in Orlando and taped a bunch of shows so they had new content to air. When Florida shut down those non essential places, this was one of them but they already had content taped so they were good....going forward is a different thing, I think they may have two more weeks of content that can air, but after that who knows.

As a wrestling fan, I watched the shows they put on with no fans and the only people in the "arena" were the commentators, referees, cameramen and the wrestlers....and of course anyone else that works backstage and it was weird and I did not like it at first, but that is probably it is something that has never been done.

I also heard that Vince McMahon was present for every taping. They also had to make changes to the card as some wrestlers did get sick (don't think they got the CV-19, but they played it safe) and one (Roman Reigns) was pulled because he just beat cancer again and did not want to risk his life.

Anyway, I watched with my normal group of friends via Skype Video so we could keep our tradition of getting together for the major WWE shows and it was actually a lot of fun and I heard that the WWE Network saw a bigger uptick in subs this weekend, which means a lot of people did end up watching it. I actually am looking forward to tonight's Day 2 of the event and we are all getting together again via Skype to finish what we started.
You may know the answer to this then... Were the wrestlers living elsewhere and coming to performance center for tapings?

Last edited by qcbandits; 04-05-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #46
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:

Your sensationalism has earned you the privilege of joining my ignore list bc there is absolutely zero proof that COVID-19 has ever remained asymptomatic AND contagious for 3 weeks at the same time. So in the Boras plan, a 3 week self quarantine would work with all the data currently available.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #47
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 3 week quarantine would do the same as a test
Your going to have to test them at first, if you dont test them and someone comes down with the virus, then did they have it when they came in or catch it through another player who didnt show symptoms. Plus hows this quarantine going to work? Put every person in the complex in their own room for 2 weeks, I'm betting in ST complex's players share rooms, is there any ST complexs with say 200 rooms because if each person needs their own room you'll need at least that if you have 5 teams staying there.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #48
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Your going to have to test them at first, if you dont test them and someone comes down with the virus, then did they have it when they came in or catch it through another player who didnt show symptoms. Plus hows this quarantine going to work? Put every person in the complex in their own room for 2 weeks, I'm betting in ST complex's players share rooms, is there any ST complexs with say 200 rooms because if each person needs their own room you'll need at least that if you have 5 teams staying there.
You think the TV networks aren't going to help fund the cost of temporary housing for 200 people? I mean if espn, the local sports networks and the MLB network had games to broadcast they could pretty much charge whatever they want for advertising bc ratings would be insanely high
Old 04-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #49
qcbandits
Banned

One fix is all the motor homes that would be available to rent since no one in America is focusing on vacationing currently. I'm sure the military has some quonset huts to rent out... Neither of these options are terrible and would be appropriate temporary housing for the 3 weeks
Old 04-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #50
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
btw, sorry you fall into a high risk group and please do all you can to remain safe. My wife works with about 50 people in one of the high risk groups which i why I chose to self quarantine early on, well except for the bi-monthly supply runs, which are beginning to feel like something from the Walking Dead lol but seriously stay safe man!
Much appreciated but we're better of than others as we have a small holding, plus been working on my cardio and dont forget people double tap

Seriously though I know were your coming from on this topic, I personally dont agree with it unless your talking around July or even August, I know the EPL could lose £700m if their to be believed but their season ends around May I think and a new season starts in August they should just get ready for next season imo.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #51
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You think the TV networks aren't going to help fund the cost of temporary housing for 200 people? I mean if espn, the local sports networks and the MLB network had games to broadcast they could pretty much charge whatever they want for advertising bc ratings would be insanely high
No not on about the cost I'm on about the amount of rooms in on place, if you go down the hotel route then your talking about moving the players and staff every game.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #52
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Much appreciated but we're better of than others as we have a small holding, plus been working on my cardio and dont forget people double tap

Seriously though I know were your coming from on this topic, I personally dont agree with it unless your talking around July or even August, I know the EPL could lose £700m if their to be believed but their season ends around May I think and a new season starts in August they should just get ready for next season imo.
It would be June or July before this could realistically happen for MLB anyways. The logistics alone will take probably a month to set up... Then you quarantine players for most of May and then have to ramp activities back up...

Really basketball would be the easiest sport to do this with because the traveling party for each team could be be kept under 25 people realistically and they could more easily set up the residences in the same place as they would be playing. Especially if they jumped back straight to the playoffs since it would further limit the amount of players that would be active
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #53
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
No not on about the cost I'm on about the amount of rooms in on place, if you go down the hotel route then your talking about moving the players and staff every game.
Yea I agree... There is no functional way to house the players off site under this plan. Too many ways it backfires then with no way to stop exposure
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #54
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think there are much more important things to worry about than sports right now.
Quote:
It could be good for the nation to have something more normal to hold onto during these trying times
Exactly. An important thing to worry about in a crisis is public morale and sanity. Else you may have even more things to worry about than you do now.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #55
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Exactly. An important thing to worry about in a crisis is public morale and sanity. Else you may have even more things to worry about than you do now.
Hopefully some of our younger baseball fans would see this as more reasons to stop fighting the idea of slowing the spread of this disease like they need to so that they could go out an actually see a game at some point this year still? Bc something needs to get the attention of the younger generation to take the whole thing more seriously. They don't seem at least in the US to care that they are spreading the virus to those that it can kill, just bc it won't kill them and their friends at nearly the same rate.

To me that's the most hideous thing about COVID-19. It has lulled an entire generation of young people into thinking that bc they won't have much more than flu like symptoms that it's okay to still go to spring break by the thousands or to turn out by the thousands to celebrate St Patty's day in Chicago... But then they became carriers of the virus and took it straight to their parents and grandparents who are at much higher risk of the virus being fatal.

I'd hope they would be able to relate to these young healthy ball players that would also probably not be at much risk of dying from the virus, but who would be willing to go to the trouble of close to a month long quarantine to get back to America's past time

Last edited by qcbandits; 04-05-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #56
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You skip the part about a 3 week quarantine? So apples and oranges from the Washington choir practice.
You miss the point about how you can be asymptomatic? And how do you expect these people to eat, etc.? Are we quarantining support staff with them? And what about family? Are they all quarantined as well, or do we expect these players to live like hermits? What happens to guys who refuse to join? Surely the CBAs of these leagues don’t have anything in there about players being quarantined for weeks on end prior to games. How do you expect the owners to just pass that? It’s not about “the union making concessions”; I want to know how you expect any of these players’ unions to agree to these stipulations at *all*.

This isn’t nearly as simple as you’re making it out to be.

Also, it’s hilarious how you were so butt hurt about this post that you had to reply to it twice, accuse me of “sensationalism” and then plug your fingers in your ears. Very mature, well thought out reasoning.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #57
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
You may know the answer to this then... Were the wrestlers living elsewhere and coming to performance center for tapings?
Yes they were living where ever they have their homes and traveling to the Performance Center for however long they were needed to tape the shows and then they were free to go back home. This all happened at the very beginning of the outbreak and the wrestlers were tested before they were allowed to compete.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #58
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
Yes they were living where ever they have their homes and traveling to the Performance Center for however long they were needed to tape the shows and then they were free to go back home. This all happened at the very beginning of the outbreak and the wrestlers were tested before they were allowed to compete.
Thanks for that. Is the Edge v Randy Orton match tonight? I haven't watched wrestling in a long time but definitely wanna see that match.

Did the WWE have problems with that model? Or does the Boras model of living on site look more feasible?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #59
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Yeah the Edge v Orton match is tonight and I heard it was very much scripted, but I’m looking forward to that match too. Last night had the Undertaker match that was like watching an actual movie, way over the top but entertaining.

From what I have read no one got sick from the tapings, at least they haven’t reported anything.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #60
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

qcbandits

What stay at home except as necessary does is create circles of containment with just a few people in them, those in a person's household. Yes, people occasionally will be in brief contact with others, say at the grocery store, but overall the major contact is within a small group. If a person gets sick, the exposure is mostly contained within his household.

You say, well, check everyone in a sport and once they're known not to be infected go ahead with games. But instead of there being a small containment circle, as with a persons household, we now have a large one: players on a team, the support personnel, everyone on the teams they play, their support personnel, etc.

No containment circle is perfectly secure. Under this plan if someone gets infected, hundreds of people are exposed, instead of, in current conditions, a person's major exposure being limited to his household.

This is a huge danger. And the reason you are proposing it is you are sitting home bored. Quite selfish and irresponsible.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote