Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"Runtime Error!" This application has requested the Runtime to terminate.." Any idea what this means

Please see the attached picture. I tried loading my league today and got this. It shutdown fine last time I played...Tried reinstalling OOTP, that didn't fix anything...After I get this error the game closes...any help?
Attached Images
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Usually means that the league is corrupt. I would try a full reinstall of OOTP and maybe runtime, though its never worked for me. Last time I had this it was in OOTP 13. I had a support ticket that hasn't been responded to in forever, so I don't know if it's possible to fix. Do you have any backups?
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
Please see the attached picture. I tried loading my league today and got this. It shutdown fine last time I played...Tried reinstalling OOTP, that didn't fix anything...After I get this error the game closes...any help?

Many crashes and runtime errors during the loading of a saved game or during game play are caused by a corrupt .dat file inside of your saved_games\your_league_name.lg folder. I do have something we can try that may resolve your issue. However, it may be impossible to fix this type of issue.

1. Inside of your saved_games folder create a new folder. Perhaps name it test.lg
2. Inside of your league_name.lg folder you will see a sub-folder named "auto-save". Click on and open that folder.
3. Copy all 16 .dat files
4. Go back inside of that new folder we created (test.lg) and paste the .dat files
5. Start OOTP 14 and on the game's main screen, click on Load Game and try loading the league named "test".

If all is now well then that means there is a corrupt .dat file in the old league-name.lg file. Now you may proceed to step #6.
6. Close OOTP 14.
7. Go back to your saved_games folder and open that test.lg folder. Copy all 16 .dat files.
8. Open the old your_league_name.lg folder and paste the .dat files. This will over-write the old files there and will not harm this saved game.
9. You may now delete the test.lg folder

After trying my suggested remedy, if you still encounter the runtime errors, please let me know and I'll suggest something else.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Usually means that the league is corrupt. I would try a full reinstall of OOTP and maybe runtime, though its never worked for me. Last time I had this it was in OOTP 13. I had a support ticket that hasn't been responded to in forever, so I don't know if it's possible to fix. Do you have any backups?
Tyler,

Earlier today I checked the status of your ticket and we are still waiting for a reply from Andreas. We have no clue as to when - if ever - he will get around to looking at your issue. Please understand that we have done all we can do.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Tyler,

Earlier today I checked the status of your ticket and we are still waiting for a reply from Andreas. We have no clue as to when - if ever - he will get around to looking at your issue. Please understand that we have done all we can do.
Gotcha!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Many crashes and runtime errors during the loading of a saved game or during game play are caused by a corrupt .dat file inside of your saved_games\your_league_name.lg folder. I do have something we can try that may resolve your issue. However, it may be impossible to fix this type of issue.

1. Inside of your saved_games folder create a new folder. Perhaps name it test.lg
2. Inside of your league_name.lg folder you will see a sub-folder named "auto-save". Click on and open that folder.
4. Go back inside of that new folder we created (test.lg) and paste the .dat files
5. Start OOTP 14 and on the game's main screen, click on Load Game and try loading the league named "test".

If all is now well then that means there is a corrupt .dat file in the old league-name.lg file. Now you may proceed to step #6.
6. Close OOTP 14.
7. Go back to your saved_games folder and open that test.lg folder. Copy all 16 .dat files.
8. Open the old your_league_name.lg folder and paste the .dat files. This will over-write the old files there and will not harm this saved game.

After trying my suggested remedy, if you still encounter the runtime errors, please let me know and I'll suggest something else.

thank you thank you thank you! Using this I was able to narrow it down to the corrupt dat file (faces.dat) and just replaced that with the auto saved filed, and left the rest intact and up to date. Thanks! It runs fine now
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:

6. Close OOTP 14.

I see the OP got his problem solved using this, so I tried it, didn't work. I was just wondering if I can try anything else for my league, or if I should just leave it be.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

"Runtime Error!" This application has requested the Runtime to terminate.." A...

Quote:

6. Close OOTP 14.
This should be stickied...
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
I see the OP got his problem solved using this, so I tried it, didn't work. I was just wondering if I can try anything else for my league, or if I should just leave it be.
I read your responses in your ticket and I'm curious about something. Have you tried running any tests on your RAM, hard drive and checking your video card driver to see if a newer driver is available? The crashing of more then one league file has me concerned that you do have some sort of hardware issue.

To test your hard drive for errors, see the following article from Microsoft:
Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7

To test your RAM in Windows 7, see here:
Running the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 7

To check for video card driver errors, see here:
Open Device Manager in Windows 7

Please let us know the results of these tests by replying to your ticket.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Nugget699
Major Leagues

Quote:

6. Close OOTP 14.

This has done something interesting in my league.

I started developing runtime errors on my old laptop but they were quite rare and I couldn't reproduce them. As each season went by they became more and more common until it was more or less unplayable. The laptop was quite old so I assumed it was just running out of memory when loading the game up or going to a screen that had lots of information (such as all players including retired players screen).

I purchased a new computer yesterday (Intel i7 3.6Ghz with 32gig of Ram) and the problem still persisted but far less frequently than before so I tried what you mentioned above and the test.lg wouldn't even load before developing a runtime error. Going off of Accipiter's post of a corrupt faces.dat I deleted the faces.dat and lo-and-behold it now loads. I'm thinking of turning the facegen off anyway but would Force / Update of all player photos" in the "Game Setup" screen possibly fix the problem?

Last edited by Nugget699; 01-16-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: accidently a word
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
This has done something interesting in my league.

I started developing runtime errors on my old laptop but they were quite rare and I couldn't reproduce them. As each season went by they became more and more common until it was more or less unplayable. The laptop was quite old so I assumed it was just running out of memory when loading the game up or going to a screen that had lots of information (such as all players including retired players screen).

I purchased a new computer yesterday (Intel i7 3.6Ghz with 32gig of Ram) and the problem still persisted but far less frequently than before so I tried what you mentioned above and the test.lg wouldn't even load before developing a runtime error. Going off of Accipiter's post of a corrupt faces.dat I deleted the faces.dat and lo-and-behold it now loads. I'm thinking of turning the facegen off anyway but would Force / Update of all player photos" in the "Game Setup" screen possibly fix the problem?
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, when a runtime error happens, it generally involves at least one - if not more - of the .dat files. And generally the league is beyond fixing. However, as of late, the one .dat file that's been causing these runtime errors is that faces.dat. But as a general test, we have users to do what I posted above - with the test.lg folder. If then that test fails to resolve the issue, we forward it to the developers.

In the meantime, at the user's discretion, if he/she wishes to do their own investigation, you can try deleting the .dat files one-by-one to see which one(s) may be the culprit. Also, I need to point out that sometimes a runtime error happens as a result of some sort of computer hardware malfunction or it could be caused by a downloaded Windows update.

As to your question about using the Force / Update of all player photos fixing this problem: I really don't think so. If the faces.dat file is corrupt, using that Force/Update button likely will not resolve the issue. Your only hope here is if you have a healthy faces.dat file either in your auto-save folder or in a recent backup of your league files that you can put in place of the corrupt faces.dat file.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I lost a 30 year league to this, I feel your pain OP, and I'm glad it worked out for you.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I read your responses in your ticket and I'm curious about something. Have you tried running any tests on your RAM, hard drive and checking your video card driver to see if a newer driver is available? The crashing of more then one league file has me concerned that you do have some sort of hardware issue.

To test your hard drive for errors, see the following article from Microsoft:
Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7

To test your RAM in Windows 7, see here:
Running the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 7

To check for video card driver errors, see here:
Open Device Manager in Windows 7

Please let us know the results of these tests by replying to your ticket.
Very sorry I didn't see this. I will try these. Only one or two of my many other league files crashed before and it wasn't a crash that would happen every time I opened so I'm not sure if it's the hardware or my league is just dead. I found out the online leagues were crashing because my internet would disconnect for a sec. I'm still going to try these.

Last edited by Tyler87898; 01-17-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Ok, updated ticket.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #15
jebodine
Minors (Double A)

I am trying to build a custom historical league and get the same runtime error message in a couple of places. The game loads fine but I get the error if I try and import multiple historical players with a text file or at the very end of the same game cycle. Is there any more information on how to resolve this issue?
jebodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #16
jebodine
Minors (Double A)

I mean save current game cycle
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #17
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

6. Close OOTP 14.

I have posted this question and reply on the wiki, it is a wiki please feel free to join ad and edit as the case may be

OOTP Community Wiki | Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #18
jebodine
Minors (Double A)

Thank you. I tried that solution and it didn't work. I installed the game on a second computer as well and am getting the same message. I was hoping there was some new information.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebodine View Post
I am trying to build a custom historical league and get the same runtime error message in a couple of places. The game loads fine but I get the error if I try and import multiple historical players with a text file or at the very end of the same game cycle. Is there any more information on how to resolve this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebodine View Post
Thank you. I tried that solution and it didn't work. I installed the game on a second computer as well and am getting the same message. I was hoping there was some new information.
I am going to take a punt that there is a formatting or some other problem with the file you are using for import, then when ootp attempts to make sense of the data it can't and crashes.

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 01-21-2014 at 12:26 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #20
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

An ounce of prevention:

For large leagues and leagues that have had edits to its structure or are multiple seasons old, one should from time to time click the Game tab and select "database info and tools options".
On that page click the Tools tab and select Purge deleted records from database.
Over time and with deletions/edits to your lg., this deleted/changed info builds up in your lgs. database. Purging will delete these useless records which can cause corruption and lead to runtime errors.

Anytime one imports a lg. from one version to another Purge the database as soon as your lg. is working correctly.

Anytime you get your first Runtime error and can continue your game. Run the purge tool as soon as possible.

Although I worked with Andreas when these runtime errors first started showing up and tested the Purge tool many times without any problems, YOU MUST make a copy of your lgs. folder before purging the database just in case a problem does arise. Do not use the games backup feature.

Of course Purging only works if you can successfully start your league's file.

Puging will also get rid of those Ghost teams and players that show up from time to time after you've deleted them in your game.

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote