Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
beorn
All Star Starter

AI finances

After running several fictional test leagues over 50 years, using standard 2009 settings, I have come to the conclusion that the AI is not handling the finances correctly. Repeatedly, more than half the AI teams end up with cash below zero, often more than $20 million in the red.

I saw this when I took part in the the OOTP9 beta and reported it, but never really looked at in the final OOTP9 final product because I played almost exclusively in online leagues. Whether this is the same problem continuing or a new issue, I cannot say.

However, this thread makes the claim that in this year's beta, the problem disappeared as long as cash maximum was changed to $1 billion, so I tried that. The problem was not resolved.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
beorn
All Star Starter

I also tried raising the typical media contract to $40 million, but initial testing shows that that also does not prevent more than half the AI teams from running red.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

This behavior is with otherwise default fictional finances, Beorn?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
beorn
All Star Starter

Yes, the only other setting I have played with is whether the owner decides over budget. I have tried it both ways with no difference in results, but I am about to try entire revenue available combined with higher media revenue plus extremely high cash max and see whether that combo makes a difference.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Have you noticed this behavior?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ion-error.html

That would probably result in what you are seeing, yes?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
beorn
All Star Starter

No, I have not seen this.

I just went through three saved game files and every team has media money coming in. I'd have to go back through history to see whether it had ever happened in the past, but I'm betting we have two separate issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The issue appears to be that the cash max column is way too low. I raised it by 15 TIMES and financially things seem to have righted themselves. I am currently running a 100 year sim to test this out. So far so good, up to 1940. Not too much cash and hardly any teams go into the red and if they do they fight out of it in a year or two.

Then I'll need to see if 12 times is better than 15 as 15 was just a WAG.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Okay. When you settle on something, should we BZ a new recommended cash cap, then?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Yes, actually I'll just recommend this whole file. Fixed the Header and 2009 issues as well as the cash cap and added 2010.

This is the original file I tested with before someone added the cash cap and 2009. Don't know why the Header was messed up as it wasn't in this copy. Whomever edited this file must have had challenges of some kind. Maybe used a text editor instead of a CSV editor. Anyhoot with 15 times higher cash cap no red problems. I'm gonna try a 100 year sim at 12 times cash cap this evening.

Players who want to play 2009 need to use this file instead of the built-in as the file that is loaded into the database folder has weird numbers in weird places for 2009 which results in weird finances. Unless you like that sort of thing, and I'm sure someone does, please use this file in its place.
Attached Files
File Type: txt financials.txt (21.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Presumably, 2009 is the default fictional setting?

Did you log this? If so, what's the BZ? Or did you want me to log this? Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

"AI is not handling the finances correctly"

Wouldn't RAISING the cash max cause the issues with AI teams going broke? It is true OOTP uses the cash max to limit profits but it also uses it to limit debt.
Example: If you have a 100 million cash max your OOTP team cannot lose more than 100 million in the season.

My understanding was this was a 'AI cheat' design decision, perhaps to allow long term test sims to go forward without constant finance tweaks from season to season. It seems to me that giving AI teams a hefty media contract and a lower cash max will result in the AI teams never going broke.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Presumably, 2009 is the default fictional setting?

Did you log this? If so, what's the BZ? Or did you want me to log this? Thanks!
Fictional leagues sucked as well.
So I copied the file from OOTP9 over and set it to run. Things didn't look very good after 4 years (but 4 years is in the middle of the freak show period) and I set it to run the next 6 before I came to work. I'll see what happened there.

If it's pulling from this file for a default fictional setup (I didn't touch anything, just set up a fictional MLB and ran) then theoretically last years file should be fine to give last year type results. I'm not sure I was seeing that... numbers were quite bad, but could work out like it always did.

I wonder if something was changed in the way the AI handles it's finances for OOTP10. Maybe an inadvertent punch with the new arb system or something. I'll see what the next 6 years looks like when I get home tonight.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Historical I tested at 12 times the original cash max. 25% of teams run out of budget room but no one runs out of cash.

Historical I tested at 13 times the original cash max. 10% of teams run out of budget room but no one runs out of cash.

Historical I tested at 15 times the original cash max. Very few teams run out of budget and no one runs out of cash.

I didn't get time yesterday to test fictionals. All we need to find is whether 12, 13 or 15 or some other number works best for fictional. I'll test that this evening.

Historical 2008 ended with team payrolls between 60 and 85 million and the highest player salary was 17.8 mil. Close enough?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #14
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

This updated file may resolve the future fictional finance challenge.

The financials.txt file stops at 2008, 2009 is just one giant typo as is the file header. The header and 2009 are fixed, cash max is 19 times what it once was and 2010 through 3009 has been added. Don't know if the game will use them but if it does this should fix the future fictional red number challenge. Any help testing this file would be appreciated.

Historical leagues like 15 times the original cash max amount, fictional leagues like at least 20 best. As there are many more fictional players that historical I overed historical and slightly undered fictional.
Attached Files
File Type: txt financials.txt (39.9 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Spritze; 06-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
tysok
Hall Of Famer

I think this thread can be closed.
There were a couple arbitration bugs found and supposedly fixed that may have hurt the AI finances. If the problem persists after the patch we'll continue hunting the problem down... for now I don't think the thread is doing anything.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
Closed Thread