Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Complete World Names Database v1.1

**A NEWER VERSION (1.2) HAS BEEN POSTED** This new version is usable for all versions OOTP19 through OOTP22, use this link:
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=328435

Here's the new version of my complete names database, now with 220 name sets, updated to work with OOTP21 and confirmed to work with OOTP22! (Thanks, joefromchicago). My goal is to provide realistic names for an OOTP universe, no matter what countries you add to your leagues. Here is a list of the name sets I used:

OOTP_Names_Database_v1-1.txt

I've included the sets that come with the game, although I've vastly expanded most of them, and added 180 new sets (some of which have been posted already). Most of this is my own work, although I have incorporated some names from user-created sets into this master list (especially ohv's excellent Finnish name set, which I couldn't improve on).

I've added more name sets from all over the globe including Australia/New Zealand, Europe, Latin America, and a complete rework of the Caribbean.

The files are too large to host here, so here's the links:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cys87b...names.txt/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0gpg77...names.txt/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yg958b...fault.xml/file

Just download the 3 files and overwrite the files in the /database directory (make backups first!). You will have to start a new game or re-import the names and world database to make them work.

If you play an older version of OOTP, you can use the names files but use this world_default.xml file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2hcnu1...OTP19.xml/file
Just rename to world_default.xml before moving to the database folder. I know it works for OOTP19 and OOTP20, not sure about earlier versions.

If you use this file set, please provide feedback if you think the sets/xml file can be improved. I did some testing but there could be some things I overlooked.

NOTES
My principle guiding the creation of these sets is 90% realism, 5% playability and 5% fun. I've used data when available. I've gathered most of the names from lists of sports teams and the great forebears.io site. I've tried to make all the sets large enough to generate names for at least a small league (100k first/last names combinations minimum) but most larger countries have at least 1 million possible combinations.
I don't play with a nickname file, so I incorporated some nicknames into the first names lists.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 05-09-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Fixed world_default.xml file
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
pilight
All Star Starter

Nice. I renamed #86 from Portugese-Black to Portugese-African so it would be more consistent with the naming convention of the other groups. I left the misspelling of Portuguese, though.

My only wish would be a file for women's first names to go with it.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

There is one women's first name file, set 194. It's the female equivalent of set 0 (American). It's not used by the world_default file, but the data is there in the first_names file.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Ok to use set # 33 now? Can it be placed anywhere in the xml file? Thanks.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Set 33 seems to work fine now ( I use it for Icelandic).
Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
Set 33 seems to work fine now ( I use it for Icelandic).
K, thanks.

albatross
Old 04-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
pilight
All Star Starter

OK, I do have a question. Montserrat has #46 English Caribbean listed twice under its ethnicity percents, once with 161 and once with 28. Is one of those supposed to be something else or should they be combined?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
OK, I do have a question. Montserrat has #46 English Caribbean listed twice under its ethnicity percents, once with 161 and once with 28. Is one of those supposed to be something else or should they be combined?
Just guessing, but if you're using Dog's xml file, I suspect that first line should be etid=212 pct=61. Only Dog can say for sure.

albatross
Old 04-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

You're correct, it should be 212 for the top line (The 161 is correct, it's out of 200). I fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
pilight
All Star Starter

I suspected it should be 212 for one of them.

I was able to adapt this for use in Title Bout 2.5. TB limits us to five ethnicities per country, though.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Getting 404'd on the world_default.xml link...
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

It should be fixed now. I posted a new version that fixed a bug where Anguilla and Algeria had the same Nation ID (not sure how that happened)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #13
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Could you please tell me how to examine the names files, at least what to look for in my circumstance? I find if I limit a team to Scotland, the active roster always contains multiple players with the same name. This is NOT your mod, but the default, hence why I'm here asking what to do.

Is this a limitation of the number of entries in the game's default names.txt and its use with nations? Do I just need a bigger db to draw from?

thanks in advance.

Edit> Downloading from the OP. I read through it again and looks to be exactly what I'm needing to do: use your work! Thank you. Can't wait.

Last edited by endgame; 04-14-2020 at 11:13 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:49 PM   #14
endgame
Hall Of Famer

In a trance for last half hour or so, wandering through the world. This looks to be a phenomenal addition to the game. Thank you for this. How have I been overlooking this? Oh, right. The world got bigger. You made it a better one now.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 AM   #15
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Could you please tell me how to examine the names files, at least what to look for in my circumstance? I find if I limit a team to Scotland, the active roster always contains multiple players with the same name. This is NOT your mod, but the default, hence why I'm here asking what to do.

Is this a limitation of the number of entries in the game's default names.txt and its use with nations? Do I just need a bigger db to draw from?

thanks in advance.

Edit> Downloading from the OP. I read through it again and looks to be exactly what I'm needing to do: use your work! Thank you. Can't wait.
The default Scotland set has about 100 first names and 350 surnames; This mod has 1000 first names and 1400 surnames, so the chance for repeat names should be reduced, but they'll still happen as they do IRL.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:37 AM   #16
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Tremendous job, thank you very much!

I just checked German, Austrian and Swiss names because they are very under-whelming in the default database (almost unbelievable since Markus is German ), and they are very good.
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #17
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

thanks in advance.

Just an FYI: If you are using the default names database, you can re-import the names database and it will fix the duplicate name issue for the most part. It does mean regenerating new players. It is a hassle, but it works. Scotland is the example I used when I questioned this in the bug forum.

I like the idea of the broader names database here, though. I may give it a whirl.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Endgame: Out of curiosity, are you playing 21 or 20? Matt Arnold thought the name generation issue was fixed for 21. He's the one who told me about the workaround for 20.

I'm still in 20, but will probably update to 21 soon.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #19
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Endgame: Out of curiosity, are you playing 21 or 20? Matt Arnold thought the name generation issue was fixed for 21. He's the one who told me about the workaround for 20.

I'm still in 20, but will probably update to 21 soon.
21, and based on my current review, my issue has vanished. So far. Yeah, bite down on the hook. It'll be ok, IMHO.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #20
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
21, and based on my current review, my issue has vanished. So far. Yeah, bite down on the hook. It'll be ok, IMHO.
I took the bait and bit the hook a little while ago.