Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
majesty95
All Star Starter

Ripken streak impossible?

I've ran several sims in late 80's and Cal never plays every game. The game seems to have zero recognition of one of the greatest records in all of sports. If MLB The Show can put a switch pitching pitcher on the mound, OOTP should be able to make Cal play every game outside of an injury and have some recognition of the games played streak.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

it was statistically impossible when he did do it
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Just like throwing back to back no-hitters or a achieving a 56-game hitting streak, it's not statistically impossible. Just highly improbable.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

OOTP isn't built to replicate history. That's the beauty of the game. What fun would it be if we already know what's going to happen?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I would consider it a problem if several OOTP sims led to even one time that Cal repeated his real-life streak of consecutive games played, as that was a severe statistical outlier, a serious anomaly.
Now I'm sure with a great many (hundreds, thousands, more?, I can't say) sims eventually someone, whether it be Cal or another super durable player, could match his real-life streak in OOTP. Then again, maybe not. And in my opinion, that is how it should be.
This isn't something that should be easily replicated, or it wouldn't be as extremely special as it is.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just curious, do players ever get so tired in OOTP that the game forces you to rest them? Been so long since I've managed or been in control of a team, I haven't a clue. For example, if I was in control of Ripken, could I simply play him every game regardless of his being tired, or would the game eventually force me to sit him?

I agree with Birdwatcher.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Just curious, do players ever get so tired in OOTP that the game forces you to rest them? Been so long since I've managed or been in control of a team, I haven't a clue. For example, if I was in control of Ripken, could I simply play him every game regardless of his being tired, or would the game eventually force me to sit him?

I agree with Birdwatcher.
Define "force." Some players accumulate fatigue faster than others, particularly catchers and older players, but you're never forced to rest them. You can keep playing them, but their production will decline a bit and the risk of injury will increase.

I've had players play all 162 games with the game never showing them at a fatigue level that suggested I needed to give them a day off. I assume that fatigue fully resets each offseason, so it seems (theoretically, at least) that if you had a player start a streak at a young age, it could go on for a significant amount of time. No idea if it would reach Ripken levels, though.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Define "force." Some players accumulate fatigue faster than others, particularly catchers and older players, but you're never forced to rest them. You can keep playing them, but their production will decline a bit and the risk of injury will increase.

I've had players play all 162 games with the game never showing them at a fatigue level that suggested I needed to give them a day off. I assume that fatigue fully resets each offseason, so it seems (theoretically, at least) that if you had a player start a streak at a young age, it could go on for a significant amount of time. No idea if it would reach Ripken levels, though.
I meant a situation in which the player is on your roster, but is unavailable for use due to fatigue. Much like what occurs when a player is suspended. If fatigue never makes a day of rest mandatory, a human manager could probably attempt the Ripken streak.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant a situation in which the player is on your roster, but is unavailable for use due to fatigue. Much like what occurs when a player is suspended. If fatigue never makes a day of rest mandatory, a human manager could probably attempt the Ripken streak.
Again, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "unavailable for use." A player's rest level can be at 0% and you can still put him in the lineup. The game will never stop you from putting a player in the lineup unless he is injured and listed as "OUT."
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
Andy
Hall Of Famer

I don't play historical, but can't you use real lineups then he will play everyday?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "unavailable for use." A player's rest level can be at 0% and you can still put him in the lineup. The game will never stop you from putting a player in the lineup unless he is injured and listed as "OUT."
Do you play with suspensions? If a player is suspended he is on your roster, but you can't play him until his suspension is up. Since I don't manage/gm etc, I didn't know if a players fatigue ever reached a point that the game made him unavailable for use. From what you've wrote, this never occurs, so again, a human manager could attempt the Ripkin streak.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Do you play with suspensions? If a player is suspended he is on your roster, but you can't play him until his suspension is up. Since I don't manage/gm etc, I didn't know if a players fatigue ever reached a point that the game made him unavailable for use. From what you've wrote, this never occurs, so again, a human manager could attempt the Ripkin streak.
Yes, the only times a player is unable to be inserted into a game is if he is suspended or injured (not day-to-day). Fatigue of 0% you can still play him if you really want.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #13
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

A human managers only real concern would be injury or suspension.

Managing fatigue wouldn't be difficult. You don't have to play a full 9 innings to keep the streak alive, so just pull him early to help keep him rested. Of course you'd have to manage your bench carefully in case of other injuries.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
tward13
All Star Starter

I think the difference is that the game (I'm assuming) doesn't recognize a streak and work towards keeping it except for serious injury. So even if Ripken get to 4-5 years and esablished himself as an every day guy the AI would likely give him a day off at some point.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You asked about fatigue, so that's what I was talking about. There is no scenario where fatigue prevents a player from being put in the lineup by a human manager. Suspensions and injuries are certainly two scenarios that would force a player to miss a game. Barring those situations, yes, a Ripken streak could be attempted.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You asked about fatigue, so that's what I was talking about. There is no scenario where fatigue prevents a player from being put in the lineup by a human manager. Suspensions and injuries are certainly two scenarios that would force a player to miss a game. Barring those situations, yes, a Ripken streak could be attempted.

Yeah, I missed the part in your first response where you said "you are never forced to rest them." That was the answer to my question right there. I guess I was too in a hurry to explain what I mean by force. My bad.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I missed the part in your first response where you said "you are never forced to rest them." That was the answer to my question right there. I guess I was too in a hurry to explain what I mean by force. My bad.
Haha, no worries. I was beginning to wonder if I was speaking Chinese, though.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
eldur00
All Star Reserve

You don't have to, but the game does recognize when a player should be replaced due to fatigue. If you play out your games and you have a player whose fatigue becomes zero or close to zero, the AI will remove the player from the lineup in the game preview lineup screen and leave the spot blank.

There is nothing that prevents you to put the fatigued player in before you click the Start Game button though.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #19
BMW
Hall Of Famer

I think part of the reason is that it wasn't simply Ripken-the-player that caused the streak. It was Ripken and his manager in concert.

The manager makes the lineups, not the player's stats. If he decides to sit him in 1986 for whatever reason, there's nothing in Ripken's stats or talent that would prevent that from happening.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #20
majesty95
All Star Starter

You guys are kind of missing the point. Cal is not being seated because of injury. That I could deal with. They have ZERO recognition of the streak that was already started when the game began (7 years into it). So they are resting him by choice. That is my issue. That the game is ending the streak for no good reason other than it treats him as just a regular player
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote