Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Pre & Post History

Does anyone know how the game handles pre 1871 and Post the most recent season? Are there certain settings that should be used to keep players in the realm of reality?
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what it does with pre-1871, but post-2018 it will just retain the same league settings it had previously. If you turn league evolution on it will sometimes bump run scoring up or down or whatever but otherwise you can run the league for 200 years and the stats will be more or less the same (in fact, people do this).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

That answers part of it. Thanks.

I'd like to start some baseball before the pro league but have some resemblance to the early years of the pro game.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
I'd like to start some baseball before the pro league but have some resemblance to the early years of the pro game.
Short answer: use the 1871 settings.

Long answer: The farther back you go in history, the less the game resembles what we know today as baseball. As a result, OOTP gets less and less accurate as you go back in history. Certainly, if you're thinking of starting before 1869, the year that the Red Stockings fielded the first openly all-professional team, you'll have to accept that the game you're playing in OOTP will bear little resemblance to the game that was actually played in that era. Furthermore, any attempt to get accurate statistics from this era would, I fear, be fruitless, since nobody bothered to keep a full set of stats even for players on National Association teams.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:10 AM   #5
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Short answer: use the 1871 settings.

Long answer: The farther back you go in history, the less the game resembles what we know today as baseball. As a result, OOTP gets less and less accurate as you go back in history. Certainly, if you're thinking of starting before 1869, the year that the Red Stockings fielded the first openly all-professional team, you'll have to accept that the game you're playing in OOTP will bear little resemblance to the game that was actually played in that era. Furthermore, any attempt to get accurate statistics from this era would, I fear, be fruitless, since nobody bothered to keep a full set of stats even for players on National Association teams.
Thanks, joe! You are always a great help. I was figuring on some differences in the game and stats produced. If I started in say 1860, what would be the proper way to apply the 1871 settings? Would it be done once in 1860 or need to be redone each year through 1871? There are a couple of settings that bring up that giant yearly list!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I think you start off with the 1871 settings and uncheck the boxes in the League Settings/Options page for "Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season" and "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers after each season for accuracy"* until you reach 1871. I've never attempted what you're trying to do, however, so I'm not sure if that's the correct approach.

* That's also a check box in the League Stats & AI page. I'm not sure why it's in two places or if they're linked. To be safe, uncheck that one as well.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The Spritze database contains 681 player seasons beginning in 1856 through 1870. I only included players who eventually played in the major leagues 1871 and on. To get stats that matched up with 1871 an mle conversion was run on the raw stats available for those players in those early years. If a player had no useable stats for those years they were just skipped. The real stats do exist for these 681 player seasons it was just that the game was so different back then they looked really weird to the human eye. Luckily computers don't care how things look, they just do the math.

Now that the computer knows how to run those mle conversions a great many more players from 1856 on who never played in the major leagues of the 1870's could be created.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:07 AM   #8
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
The Spritze database contains 681 player seasons beginning in 1856 through 1870. I only included players who eventually played in the major leagues 1871 and on. To get stats that matched up with 1871 an mle conversion was run on the raw stats available for those players in those early years. If a player had no useable stats for those years they were just skipped. The real stats do exist for these 681 player seasons it was just that the game was so different back then they looked really weird to the human eye. Luckily computers don't care how things look, they just do the math.

Now that the computer knows how to run those mle conversions a great many more players from 1856 on who never played in the major leagues of the 1870's could be created.
I have used your great DB's in the past, but I am not sure which is compatible with v19. Can you verify the correct one, please?
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The latest one works. I am currently working on an update.

I'd post the data here but the "go advanced" button does not allow attachments. Time-out issues.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Pre1871Stats.xls (249.5 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Spritze; 04-25-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #10
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
The latest one works. I am currently working on an update.

I'd post the data here but the "go advanced" button does not allow attachments. Time-out issues.
Was it ever posted anywhere? I might have it and not know it. How will you post it when your update is done?
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Was it ever posted anywhere? I might have it and not know it. How will you post it when your update is done?
It worked today so the file is posted above. The same data is in the Spritze database.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #12
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
It worked today so the file is posted above. The same data is in the Spritze database.
Where you ever able to update this?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I have been working on the OOTP20 historical updates, one of which might be a partial replacement for my database. The spritze db is updated but it has grown too big to be functional in OOTP. I'd need to chop it up to function.

Some portions of it or at least the ideas in it may appear in OOTP20. What parts of it adds to your OOTP enjoyment the most? Maybe that can be added to OOTP20 as well.

It would be great to just make it obsolete because all the fun bits have been added to OOTP.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
I have been working on the OOTP20 historical updates, one of which might be a partial replacement for my database. The spritze db is updated but it has grown too big to be functional in OOTP. I'd need to chop it up to function.

Some portions of it or at least the ideas in it may appear in OOTP20. What parts of it adds to your OOTP enjoyment the most? Maybe that can be added to OOTP20 as well.

It would be great to just make it obsolete because all the fun bits have been added to OOTP.
Hi Spritze,

I am glad to see that you are not totally retired. There are many aspects of the game that I enjoy, but being able to get minor league players for a fictional league might be nice. Maybe if the DB was split up, the import procedure could change to allow options.

I would like to see the ability to import TEAMS sans players into a league and/or also be able to save or edit a file to repeat or evolve a league structure of our choosing.

As I think about it and I recall us touching on this elsewhere, as the DB's have evolved as well as how images are handled, maybe a "known as" category for players name and a hidden "actual name". Of course this would require photos of such being BBref tagged. No more Ken Griffey Sr. in 1970's needed.

I have a question about how the game handles Team ID's and Franchise ID's. Are they limited to 3 Characters? How do they follow a teams history if over the years? Can you convert a fictional Franchise to a Historic one?

I hope some of this made sense. If not, I will try to be more coherent.

Elsewhere I found a historic.obd file. Do we just replace the OOTP one and run as usual?
Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #15
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
I am glad to see that you are not totally retired. my replacement has not been chosen yet.
There are many aspects of the game that I enjoy, but being able to get minor league players for a fictional league might be nice. This should already work in OOTP19

I have a question about how the game handles Team ID's and Franchise ID's. Are they limited to 3 Characters? The game actually uses Year, City and Nickname for team id, the id's you see in game are for display porpoises only and can be 4 char for the minors and 3 char for MLB, Franchise ID'S ARE 3 CHAR

Can you convert a fictional Franchise to a Historic one? Not as far as I know

Elsewhere I found a historic.obd file. Do we just replace the OOTP one and run as usual?
Generally yes. It would depend on age.