Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Difficulty trying to use spring training to set my team for regular season

I have read threads of people trying to use spring training to help set their rosters for the regular season.

I played the first game of spring training. However, when I tried to set my lineup for the second game, the stats from game 1 were not visible. Only thing shown was zeros. I had to exit the game and go to rosters to see the stats. I fiddled with the in-game stats menu, such as changing scope from regular season to March. Still no luck

I was hoping to be able to use the spring training stats. Never tried this before. Usually. I just let my bench coach play thru spring training, hoping for minimal injuries.

Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

Does the computer manager/bench coach know that this is a spring training game ?

Last edited by CraigBShuman; 06-05-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot question
CraigBShuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Change the splits to spring training.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

I cannot find where I make such a change. I have MLB down to independent leagues. But, nothing says spring training. I must be missing it.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Found the spring training in double splits. Still getting zeros. I have played 2 spring training games so far.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Never mind. Found it. Thank you msupoke. You put me on the right track. Just needed to pay better attention.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
msupoke
All Star Reserve

No problem. This game is so deep that easy things are sometimes hard to do, lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

pro tip - use ratings not ST results. if stats only, do your thing that equates to the same thing, but a bit less certain. (stats related to various ratings = the ratings using league baselines)

if you want to use it as a veritable flip of a coin for two very similar players on the cusp of making the majors, that's a reasonable thing to do. or anything similar to that... a negligible choice to the eye.

hmm does it keep historical ST stats? if not sim and watch... you'll see there's virtually no correlation to ST and regular season results. not only is it a small sample, it's a different set of rules and competition and manager strategies especially with pitching, which significantly impacts the batters, too.

if it's for sh^%s and grins, don't let me hold you back, though.

i have used it to choose between 2 young players with no track record similarly rated... but, i don't think i'm playing the odds because of that... just that it's nearly 50/50 anyway, and i'm just as likely wrong as the ST stats.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Thank you. That's good to know. I won't focus on spring training.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

SP stats for established veterans are unimportant. Those guys are what they are and bad springs mean nothing.

The only time I pay attention to SP stats is for rookies trying to make the team. I look at those stats along with ratings. If the kid did exceptionally poor it's an indicator that he may not be ready for big league pitching, especially if he was starting games and facing the better pitchers. If the kid has very good offensive numbers, I'll know they'll go down in the regular season but it tells me he might be ready.

If a rookie pitcher wasn't getting anyone out then forget it, he's going to AAA or AA. If he did very well, I'll consider that but it's not the only variable.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it is not comparable data... it's apples and oranges and you cannot compare apples and oranges well - empirically...

pitchers used differently, relievers used differently, substitutions drastically different, competition is drastically different on average etc etc... apples and oranges ... let alone a small sample size with an astronomical +/- error associated with whatever feedback it gives.... not to mention all the strategic differences and methods used during ST vs regular season... ST has uses, just not very good for predicting regular season success in any way.

haha, then, if you auto-calc on opening day, it completely shifts everythign again... 1 more layer of shifting clouding things so you cannot see with the eye nor udnerstand very well without simulating to see what fundamentally changed in the statistical environment of the league.

this is really the old school traditional thoughts on things vs using real math and logical reasoning for things that the human eye cannot understand on its own. i'm not arguing to be an a@@hole... i would bet the 'house' on this even being true in a video game, which may not adhere to statistical laws and proper modeling methods... but likely does in enough integral ways for this to hold true.

there is no magical or mystical string you can pull to change the odds... play the odds and stick with them... if you want to bet the 'other' way occasionally and hope for a lottery winner, go ahead... but in the long-run it reduces your chances of success.

track enough players and you will see the correlation for ST stats-> regular season success is extremely weak.... while correlation of ratings->regular season success is medium to strong depending on your scout and budget (normal accuracy setting baseline)... the difference is drastic and you should be able to see this with the human eye over time wiht a good memory, otherwise you'll need some data mining to see it.

if there's no information available, then ST is feasible to use, but does not change it's weak correlation to regular season resutls. it's still terrible feedback to make that type of decision. unless you play stats-only this isn't going to come up. if it is literally all you have to go on.. then ...you have to use it, just don't trust what it tells you much.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote