Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
hockeyfranky
Bat Boy

Crash player.dat file too large

Hello FHMTeam, i have been editing the players for 3 months now (in July 1st mode) and only now I have noticed that the file player.dat in the save game folder is growing and growing.
The default player.dat file is 108 MB, mine is now 370 MB, because every time I change something (or create a Quickstart) the file grows and grows.
Now I have the problem that the file is so big that it probably causes crashes.
When I simulate a season I get problems already on the 31st of July - 1st of August, it loads 15 minutes and then it crashes.
Now and then but rarely it comes over the date.

My question is, how can I shrink the player.dat file again?
Without losing my 3 monthly changes.

Deleting players would be the easiest way but how can I delete players?
I already tried to retire players, but that doesn't make the file smaller.

The second problem, which is probably related to the fact, that if I simulate a season and get through August 1st without a crash, it crashes at some point if there are too many messages, then I have to go back to the last saves and delete the messages.dat file.

Last edited by hockeyfranky; 02-03-2020 at 09:10 AM.
hockeyfranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

We'll need to see the file to figure out exactly what's gone wrong there - 370 MB isn't necessarily too large (a late-season players.dat file several years into the game can be bigger than that), but there may be some specific issue with yours that's causing the crash. Please upload it (instructions here) and we'll haave a look.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 AM   #3
hockeyfranky
Bat Boy

Thanks,
the name of the save game is " Message Problem.lg " in your ftp
Old 02-07-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

So it looks like there are something like 330,000 players in your database. That's the reason the players file is so large; it's several times the typical maximum number of players that even the longest-running normal game will reach, and, as the game starts to store stats as the season progresses, will eventually cause the memory usage to reach a point where the game can't function. That's what's causing the crashes, not the messages; I can delete all the db_news files to remove all of those, and it will still eventually crash.

Unfortunately, there's no way to delete players from the data once they're in, so it's not possible to reduce the size of this save back to a functional level. How, exactly, did you manage to add so many players? Adding 200000+ plus players with the Create Player button would take weeks of nonstop clicking.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #5
hockeyfranky
Bat Boy

The funny thing is, I may only have created 1 or 2 players, but what I did was rename young talents, renaming existing players.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
hockeyfranky
Bat Boy

What I suspect I have done is set something up then produced a Quickstart. Then I started this Quickstart, adjusted something again and produced a Quickstart again.
I think the quickstart produced more and more players because I used the quickstart too often
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
hockeyfranky
Bat Boy

My question, when you retire some players, does the file shrink over time?
I have noticed that the file is 370 MB at the beginning of the season 1.July2019 at the end of the season 470 MB, i.e. 30.July 2020.
On July 1, 2020 the file is 365 MB, so smaller than on July 1, 2019 (370MB). Does this have to do with the retired players?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfranky View Post
What I suspect I have done is set something up then produced a Quickstart. Then I started this Quickstart, adjusted something again and produced a Quickstart again.
I think the quickstart produced more and more players because I used the quickstart too often
That definitely sounds like a possibility, I'll do some experimenting and see if I can replicate it that way.

The size change from June 30 to July 1 is mainly the detailed stats from the previous season getting reset back to 0. It'll increase in size again as the season goes on. Retiring players will have some effect on the overall size, since the retired ones won't accumulate stats, but it's not likely to make a significant difference in this case.