Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A pair of fictional-historical league file quickstarts to share

I am going to share my two recent solo fictional league files that I have created. Hopefully some might find it interesting to run one of these two league concepts.

The first universe is set in 1901 and contains an already simmed 35 years of history. The goal was to mimic baseball in the 1920s era where there were lots of smaller independent leagues but still relatively few affiliated farm teams. The idea is I want my major league clubs purchasing players from the various small leagues. It took a bit of tinkering and some compromises in order to get this system to work in OOTP but I think it has succeeded pretty well.

The universe consists of the 16 MLB teams (real team names but all fictional players) as well as 5 minor leagues including the PCL, International League, American Association, Southern Association and Texas League. None of these leagues have a draft or 'create' their own players. Instead they get players by purchasing contracts or signing free agents from a collection of 16 lower level regional leagues.

The 16 regional leagues began play in 1865 so they have 35 years of history built up. Each league has it's own draft of 17 and 18 year olds born in it's region only. The teams in these leagues can only sign free agents from their own region to keep the idea of them being small, localized leagues. Trading is set to low but it is allowed between leagues so there is some limited player movement from region to region but for the most part a team in my Georgia-Florida League, for example, will almost exclusively contain players born in those two states only. Each of the 16 leagues have 8 teams and there is no playoff in any of them, but the regular season champ from each league is invited to compete in an Association playoff tournament to crown a National Champion.

This regional system continued uninterrupted as the only source of baseball for 25 years when, in 1891, 6 larger leagues where created. Those leagues included the 12 team National Association which, along with 4 of the 8 teams in the newly formed United League, would become the basis of major league baseball in 1901. The United League, primarily based in the mid-west, would eventually become the American Association while the Pacific Coast League, International League, Southern Association and Texas League were also created at this time. There is no affiliate system in this universe so all teams are independent. These 6 leagues do not create or draft players on their own, instead they purchase contracts of players on the roster of the 16 regional league clubs or sign free agents. It was slim pickings the first couple of years but the National Association rapidly developed into the premier league in the universe by signing many star players from the smaller loops.

This save is set to start in January 1901 so the National Association has just become Major League Baseball and expanded to two 8-team leagues by absorbing 4 clubs from the United League. It is comprised of the teams that made up the real life MLB from 1903 until the mid-1950s. I have also imported a names database and tinkered with it slightly so the universe will be dominated by era appropriate player names. Like I stated, the goal was to mimic an era of small regional leagues thriving and developing players who move up the baseball ladder. There were some compromises needed to accomplish this with OOTP. Included in those compromises are

- All leagues including the 16 regional leagues are labelled as MAJOR LEAGUE level. It was the only way I could get the draft pools of the 16 leagues to be filled with players who would possess major league potential. I use league reputation, finances and stadium capacity to keep a disparity between leagues. In general the Major League teams have stadium capacity of 20,000+, the 5 larger minor leagues are 12k-20k and the small regional leagues play in stadiums under 10k capacity. I also made the finances quite varied so a superstar player in the MLB makes about $90,000 compared to $40-60k in the large minors and $20-30k in the regional leagues. Finally league reputation varies from 10 for MLB, 8 for the PCL down to 0 for a smaller regional league like the Michigan League. That, coupled with the restriction on players returning to a regional league after being purchased by an MLB or large minor league, has given a good flow of the more talented players in an upward direction.

- Finances are obviously another compromise based on $90k superstar salaries in a 1901 setting. In hindsight I likely should have made the initial finances for the 16 leagues that formed in 1865 much lower as I used random inflation 1-4% to give the league some growth. So not necessarily believable for the era but I think works fine for the levels to intermingle properly.

- I tried but could not find a way for player creation modifiers to work properly through all the leagues and give a realistic historical evolution of stats. In short, there is no deadball era. I used 1935 settings for roster management so we have 8 man pitching staffs with 5 starters and 3 relievers that work well. The stats output is consistent throughout history but most closely mirrors modern day 2018 totals. To add a bit of variance I turned on league evolution but only to adjust for more/less hitting or pitching so there are some moderate swings in stats throughout the eras. Overall, it works in that I have consistency as a 40 homer season is a very good campaign in any league and a .400 batting average or 50 homer year are rare enough events to still be special.

I play this league in God-mode as the commissioner because I love watching leagues like this unfold and discover the history that is created more than running a team myself. I do not run a team but there is nothing stopping you from taking over any team in any league you choose. I turned off all ratings as I like to focus on the stats and not be bothered with players under or over performing based on what their ratings say. It is in commissioner mode so you can turn on or off anything you like.

Here is a quick list of the 16 regional league teams that share the universe with MLB and the 5 larger minor leagues I mentioned earlier.

The layout is
Code:

LEAGUE NAME	PRESTIGE   REGION IT CREATES PLAYERS FROM
MLB		 10	   signs players from regional leagues
Pacific Coast     8			"	
International Lg  7			"
American Assn.	  7			"
Southern Assn.	  6			"
Texas League      5			"

16 LOW LEVEL REGIONAL MINOR LEAGUES
California	  3	   State of California
New England	  3        New England Region
New York	  3	   State of New York
Pennsylvania	  3	   State of Pennsylvania
Delta		  2	   Alab,Ark, Miss, La
Georgia-Florida   2	   States of Geo & Florida
Lone Star	  2	   State of Texas
Appalachian	  1	   Appalachia Region
Eastern Shore	  1	   Mid-Atlantic Region	
Northwest 	  1	   States of Ore,Wash,Alas,Haw
Upper Midwest	  1	   Upper Midwest Region
Western		  1	   Ariz,OKl,Col,Idah,Mont,Nev,NM,Ut,Wy
Illinois	  0	   State of Illinois
Indiana		  0	   State of Indiana
Michigan	  0	   State of Michigan
Ohio	  	  0        State of Ohio
I believe all leagues should have logos when you download this and all teams will have jerseys, caps and logos so everything should be set up and ready to go. I tried to use 1901 era uniforms where I could. I think all you need to do is unzip it your OOTP20/saved games directory.

Finally, I expect with 35 years of history the league file will be large - (EDIT) actually smaller than I thought as I got it down to about 450mb. I tried to trim it down by deleting all news logs, boxscores and game logs.

Here is the link. Hopefully it works fine. If not let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb323khb1p...start.zip?dl=0

Some suggestions for a team to take over. (Remember ratings are turned off so you might want to enable them before you start).

MLB - Any of the 4 new teams the National Association absorbed. They are all American League clubs as the Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Blues, St Louis Browns and New York Highlanders (formerly Milwaukee Brewers in this universe) have just joined the AL. I would suggest the Browns might be the toughest challenge.

If you want to run a team from scratch try one of the American Association expansion teams which will have pretty much zero players on their roster.

Or on the small league circuit you could try the Savannah Reds of the Georgia-Florida League, Selma Cloverleafs of the Delta League or South Bend Blue Sox of the Indiana League which are 3 of only 8 teams to never win a league title and earn a berth in the National Championship Series.

I will post my second league file, which is a similar era but different setup, in the next day or so.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Mat
All Star Reserve

Nice work. I will definitely check this out.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Cole
Hall Of Famer

I'm not much of a historical guy so I'm not sure if I will play this, but I'm definitely going to check it out as it sounds pretty neat.

I just wanted to say your descriptions and all the work setting it up looks great! And thank you for sharing, we need more people who take the easy steps of creating and uploading quickstarts of their cool league creations.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

FICTIONAL HISTORY OF BASEBALL QUICKSTART FOR OOTP20

Here is the link to the second one. I am currently in 1917 in this league and may post the 1920 version of it for those who want a prebuilt history in their leagues. The two changes I made with the version I am playing out is to eliminate the high school level feeder leagues and just run with college because there were too many feeder teams, as well as change the league modifiers so that instead of evolving over time the stats will be designed to mirror a 1940s output every year. I just found that I needed to mess with the league totals far too much to try and get the stats I wanted. So be aware if you use the quickstart version you will likely want to tinker with your league totals pretty regularly.

Anyway, here is the link to the quickstart:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psqpg31sg4...start.zip?dl=0

LEAGUE DESCRIPTION

The universe begins in 1901 and is set to roughly mirror real life baseball of the 1940s with stat outputs that will hopefully come close to mimic their real life counterpart seasons as we progress form 1901 to modern day. I have no plans to expand as the league enters the 1960s but you certainly could if you liked. While the team names are historical, all of the players in the universe are fictional.

It includes a major league, 4 levels of minors, two independent leagues, a college feeder and 4 high school level feeder leagues.

LEAGUE ALLIGNMENT
I like the simplicity of the standard 2 leagues of 8 teams each format of baseball's glory days so I did that here with the same 16 teams that existed from 1903 until the Browns moved from Boston to Milwaukee for the 1953 season. So we have an 8 team American League that includes the St Louis Browns, Washington Senators and Philadelphia Athletics and an 8 team National League complete with the Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants.

In real life the era had dozens and dozens of minor leagues. I felt that was too cumbersome but still wanted a mixture of affiliated as well as independent minor league clubs so I settled on 10 minor leagues spread over 4 different classifications (AAA,AA,A and B). Each minor league has 8 teams and every MLB club has 1 affiliate at each level giving me 80 minor league teams with 64 affiliated clubs and 16 independents.

There are 3 AAA level leagues (American Association, International League and Pacific Coast League) with 5 of the 8 independents at that level being housed in the PCL. Those teams include the San Francisco Seals, Hollywood Stars, Portland Beavers, Oakland Oaks and San Diego Padres.

There are no independent clubs at AA and A as I have just two leagues at each level so every club is affiliated with an MLB team. The AA leagues are the Texas League and Southern Association while at the 'A' level we have the Eastern League and Sally League.

I have 3 leagues at the lowest level. Two of them play a short 84 game season starting just after the June draft. Those leagues are the Illinois-Indiana-Iowa League and the Interstate League. The third Class B League is the West Texas-New Mexico League which plays a full 140 game slate. Only 3 of the 8 teams in this league are affiliated with major league clubs. While there is no age restriction, the Class B level is designed primarily to introduce freshly drafted players to professional baseball - hence the late June start for two of them after the college and academy seasons are complete.

Speaking of the draft it is held every June for graduating players from the NCAA or the 4 academy level leagues. The NCAA is a 72 team league with 8 divisions : the SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Pac 10 each have 10 teams while the Big 8, Ivy League, SWC and Big East are 8 team divisions. All teams are housed in a single sub-league and play 126 game regular season (all games are in your own conference thanks to a great schedule created by gmo). The season runs from early January until the end of May and is followed by an annual NCAA tournament. The 8 conference champions get an automatic berth in the tournament along with 8 wildcard teams. The tournament is split into 4 regions and teams play a double round-robin with the top two from each region advancing to the Elite 8 quarterfinal round. The quarterfinals, semis and the College World Series Final series are all best of three to declare a National collegiate champion.

The region alignment is as follows:
EAST REGION - ACC and Ivy League champions plus wildcards 1 and 8
SOUTH REGION - SEC and Big East champions plus wildcards 3 and 6
MIDWEST REGION- Big 10 and Big 8 champion plus wildcards 2 and 7
WEST REGION - Pac 10 and SWC champions plus wildcards 4 and 5

My college teams are based on real schools and all have complete logos/uniforms thanks to Txranger's great work through the years. Conferences are not completely accurate as my number one criteria for selecting a school was if it had a good retro style logo and uniform.

In addition to the college league there are 4 high school level leagues that I call Academy Leagues. These leagues are divided geographically and draw the best 15-18 year old's from across the country to play on club teams. I envision this like a small town Cape Cod league setup so I for the most part choose smaller sized cities to house the teams but again the priority for me was a uniform/logo that I liked.

The Academy Leagues are named the following: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest and Pacific and only recruit players from their respective regions so you won't have a California born kid going to the Midwest League.

The Northeast plays out of small New England cities and the Midwest uses for the most part smaller city's in Michigan and Ohio. Basically I took Knuckler/Txranger's New England League and Michigan-Ohio League graphics. The Southeast League is comprised of Florida based teams while the Pacific League started out as small towns in the California/Arizona border area but expanded with some San Francisco and Los Angeles based clubs when I found graphics I wanted to add. Either way, if I uploaded the file correctly all team and league graphics will be included. The academy teams play a 126 game schedule - just like the NCAA - but have no playoffs.

I realize that is probably more feeder league teams than I should have but I just couldn't cut any more (originally I had 16 teams in each academy region before pairing down to 8). To help find a home for undrafted players beyond the independent minor league clubs I created two other independent leagues.

There were a number of different leagues running outside of the minor league system in the 1940s and 50s, primarily outside of the United States. The Mexican League had existed for a number of years by that point so I after finding some good graphics on the board I added an 8 team Mexican League to the universe. It does not participate in the draft but can sign free agents from the US. I also have a small 3 round draft (create enough players for 4 rounds) of Mexican born players to add to this league. Like unaffiliated minors the Mexican clubs can have their players purchased by MLB organizations. It is a low ranking league - really on par with the Class A level in the States.

Canada also had a few leagues at this time including the Quebec based Provincial League (which was affiliated with major league teams for several years) and the Western Canada League. I add both of them as my Canadian League. Exact same setup with the 3 round draft of Canadian players as the Mexican League has and players can be purchased from this league by MLB, but at double the cost of the Mexican players. Both of these leagues limit a squad to carrying 14 foreign-born players. This is so they don't get completely overrun with college and academy graduates who fall short of the majors.

NOTES
I would suggest right after the 1901 NCAA seasons ends you change the schedule start date to January 2 as it presently can run beyond the draft date if there are a lot of tie breakers needed for the wildcard spots. Running beyond the draft date means teams run the risk of releasing players who have aged out before the College World Series ends. I have included a copy of the schedule.lsdl file called NCAA126 if you need to reimport it for the change to take. The game will not allow the schedule to start before January 8th in the first year of a league so after the 1901 college season I move the start date up to January 2nd. I wanted a long season for my feeders so a January start date is necessary. The academy leagues are fine starting in mid-January as they have no playoff.

I have set the Major League draft to 20 rounds but for some reason it defaults to a much higher number based on the amount of players eligible. If you want it capped at 20 rounds the only workaround I can see is to manually change it in the league settings on the day before or the day of the draft. Not a problem if you forget and have a 30 or 40 odd round draft...just means a bunch of bottom picks will be released quickly.

As you get into the 1920's and beyond you might want to keep an eye on the league total modifiers as in tests I found the offense, particularly homers, tended to drop off a little compared to real life norms.

A note on Financials. I use reserve clause era rules so I don't pay a lot of attention to them but I do have the league finances set to evolve so you should keep an eye on them. You may want to raise the cost of purchasing players for MLB teams as the years progress. I like to have draft bonus negotiating on so some HS draftees elect to not sign and go to my NCAA league instead so finances might be a factor in that. Downside to that is sometimes a college graduate will sit out a year because he did not sign. I just chalk it up to he is very smart and continuing schooling for a year towards a doctorate.

That's it. Enjoy. To use just unzip into your OOTP20/quickstart games folder. Should work fine but I'll add the usual disclaimer 'use at your own risk'. A big thanks to everyone who made graphics and schedules included here. If something is yours and you don't want it in this file let me know and I will remove it.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
No Pepper
All Star Starter

I've always loved your contribution to this game, TigerFan, going back to the early days. I'm trying to dust off the cobwebs of OOTP19 but I suspect newer saved games aren't backwards compatible to older versions. I'd love to play around with these setups as I've never had time to create it myself to my liking. Any ideas or workarounds if this isn't possible? Thanks again!
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
I've always loved your contribution to this game, TigerFan, going back to the early days. I'm trying to dust off the cobwebs of OOTP19 but I suspect newer saved games aren't backwards compatible to older versions. I'd love to play around with these setups as I've never had time to create it myself to my liking. Any ideas or workarounds if this isn't possible? Thanks again!
Much appreciated words. Greatly enjoyed your graphics and other contributions in the past. Unfortunately I do not believe there is anyway to import it into 19. Could maybe download and give it a shot but I am afraid the answer will be it won't work. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
No Pepper
All Star Starter

I tried and it said it couldn't load because it was created with an older version and/or it was corrupt. I assume it was created in OOTP20 as stated in your post above, which would explain "corrupt". I'd guess the .dat files aren't compatible. I could try and piece the universe together manually with your extensive description but I gather there are some settings that I'd miss.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
I tried and it said it couldn't load because it was created with an older version and/or it was corrupt. I assume it was created in OOTP20 as stated in your post above, which would explain "corrupt". I'd guess the .dat files aren't compatible. I could try and piece the universe together manually with your extensive description but I gather there are some settings that I'd miss.
If there are any screen shots of settings you want, or questions just let me know and I will look the settings up for you. Was a lot of trial and error getting both to work to the point I was happy with them.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I am going to have try both these, I will probably wait for the second one to see if you update after 1920. The second one is a better fit for me due to the Canadian leagues.
Question: I have created my own fictional league with one Indy League that I expand to keep the Free Agent Pool under 200. MLB can trade and purchase players from the Indy. There are trades but no purchases. Any idea of my mistake in setup?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Did you enable option in your Indy League to allow players to be purchased by other leagues. It is in financial rules but if you have reserve era rules turned on you have to briefly uncheck it to be able to see the option to sell players.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Yes I think so but I will check. Thank you.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I had a couple of questions about my settings for the first league. Here are some screenshots and a bit of an explanation. Hope it is easy enough to follow but if I confuse you with it feel free to ask for clarification.

LEAGUE AND TEAMS TAB (FIRST IMAGE BELOW)
Not much to worry about here except that I set all leagues, regardless if it is MLB, Pacific Coast League or a indy league like the New York League to be MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL LEVEL.

I use the league reputation numbers to help differentiate the leagues. MLB a 10, PCL and American Association 7 or 8, Southern League a 5 or 6 and my smaller leagues like New York State league are in the 0-3 range.

I also take advantage of the league region feature for the 16 independent leagues. You can see in screenshot 1 below I set the State of New York as the region for my New York League. This will mean only players from New York State will appear in the draft for that league. It gives it the local flavour I wanted.

RULES TAB Image 2
I set my active roster to 23 for all leagues (mirroring mid-thirties reliever usage). I set the reserve roster for MLB, PCL, Southern League etc to 5 as I don't want them having a bunch of guys sitting. I left the independent leagues with a 20 man reserve roster as there is no lower league level so I don't mind them accumulating some extra players.

On the trading rules I enabled trading with other leagues but set it to LOW frequency. My MLB and the larger minor leagues do not have a draft and make sure that you DISABLE AUTO CREATION OF FREE AGENTS for those leagues. The 16 independent leagues will have a draft. I set it for December of each year and limit it to 5 rounds with one extra round of created players. Note - These are not feeder leagues so do not put anything in Select Fed League.

FINANCIALS TAB IMAGE 3
When I first set up the league in 1860 I set the financials to a 1901 level and reduced them by 50% using the mass-adjust current financial values. I didn't really mess with ticket price or anything but when I added the major leagues I made sure their financial numbers and the Salary settings were at least 4 or 5 times what the feeders had. I also tinkered with stadium size so the bigger leagues would have higher attendance and more revenue. I believe MLB stadiums are all 15-45k capacity, my higher minor leagues in the 10-20k capacity and the independent leagues in the 5-10k capacity.

I am not sure how important those settings really are as the most important ones are to check the right boxes on free agency and player movement.

To access them you have to uncheck ENABLE RESERVE-CLAUSE ERA RULES but remember to check it again when you are done.

Images 4 and 5 give you boxes to check for each league: For MLB and the high minors teams check both allow free agents from other leagues and allow free agents to leave league.

For the independent leagues make sure you uncheck allow free agents from other leagues. As I want guys released by MLB teams going to the PCL and Southern Association type leagues and not back to my small independent leagues.

I don't worry about reset service time, compensation and contract opt-outs as I do not believe they apply at all once I recheck the enable reserve clause rules option.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

OPTIONS TAB
Note all of the historical settings are unchecked. I do not want the game importing real players or adjusting my league modifiers every year.

PLAYERS TAB
PLAYER CREATION SETTINGS
Big thing here is I want the PLAYER CREATION MODIFIERS at 100%. This is also why I need to have the independent leagues listed as major leagues becuase in testing it messed with the player creation quality. (Although thinking now I could maybe leave them at independent level and bump the PCM totals up above 1.000)

STATS AND AI TAB
I only do this once at the start of my league. Under import settings where it asks Select Which Setting to Import: I select 1935 as that was the style of play I wanted. Once done I believe it messes with your financial settings so best to do this before you go to your financial screen. Again, remember I only need to do this once for each league when I create it.

On the other side for league total I also only do this once. I found pick the TOTAL FROM YEAR being 2018 gave me numbers I liked. All modifiers need to be manually adjusted to 1.000 as well.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
No Pepper
All Star Starter

TigerFan, I went ahead and took advantage of the OOTP20 sale and loaded your first quickstart with the independent minors (no College/HS). Before starting the engine, I looked at a few rosters, transactions and finances. I noticed that there was a lot of sign-and-releases, not only of minor league contracts (reserve roster players) but of more established players with larger contracts, in all leagues. Most teams, at least in the 1890-1900 era, were flush with money where signing these players and releasing them did not seem to be of financial concern. Do you think this is a product of reserve rosters, i.e., teams with no minors, too much money or some combination of these or other factors?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I agree, what an excellent idea for a league - but way to many players signed and released on the same day, not very realistic. I don't know a way to stop this kind of movement.
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
Brad_Elliott
Bat Boy

Would this still work with OOTP 21? I'm new to universe creation and getting a little frustrated trying to build a PCL based sim. Ideally, I'd like to set something up where I can play as a PCL team from about 1932-1970 with the PCL as an additional major league, and this sounds close enough.
Brad_Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #17
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Great idea, however, I just downloaded it to OOTP21 and get an error message, saying it was for a previous version, OOTP19? I'm going to try it and OOTP20 though.

Update - Works fine in OOTP20

Last edited by progen; 05-15-2020 at 05:34 PM.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 02:05 AM   #18
Dennis76
Bat Boy

I know I'm very late to this thread, but is there any chance you still have the first quickstart file? I tried to download it but it said the file was deleted.
Dennis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:11 AM   #19
8bit
Bat Boy

any surviving files

Same!
8bit is offline   Reply With Quote