Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 01-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #1801
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

So while looking at some of the Extra players I'd done with this January 58 Ring project, I've come across two earlier postings in this HW Boxers thread by LeeSky where he posted some fighters from down under that I see I have in my data base. Boy this goes back a few years! May take some time and go through these few fighters and see what I can update for bio/fighter info since I've got the Ring magazines from the period to look up and see what I can find. Do some updating and posting as I've been doing with some of the other ratings by others on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSkye View Post
I posted a pic of Fossie Schmidt that I took from a cover I found online of a 1954 issue of Australian Ring Digest. It called him the Samoan Sensation. I guess he must have been pretty good to be featured on a cover but his BoxRec record shows only 6 fights. He won 4, all by KO, and he lost his 2 by KO so there must have been fireworks when he fought. But talk about 6 degrees of separation! To compare him, I had to find a fighter he fought...who fought a guy...who fought a guy...who fought a guy in our database! He and the other guys around him seem to all have pretty good power but I don't know if that is truly representative of their talent or just fighting in their own little world. If anyone has any info to tweak these ratings it would be appreciated. And I can only hope that one of our Aussie friends might have access to a copy of this magazine to give us more insight. All these fighters fought in Australia, New Zealand and the surrounding South Sea Islands. I'll try and do more of these fighters when I can.

Fossie Schmidt
Steve Zoranich
Harold Davis
Ross Jenkins [another with only 2 wins in 5 fights but all end in KO!]
Rudy Crivic
Barry Chalker
Isimeli Radrodro
Jim Woods
Ken Brady
Joveci Bau
Allen Williams [Held Australian Heavyweight Title and New South Wales State Heavyweight Title]
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #1802
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Fossie Schmidt - Samoa - HW
Career Record: W5(KO 5) / L1(KO 1) / D0

Interesting how much I found on Fossie in the Rings.

Originally rated by LeeSky

Dec 1954 Ring has a short account of Schmidt's first listed fight against Jack Dempsey, refering to "the A.B.C.'s Samoan imporation heavyweight.Mentions Schmidts "atomic punch".

Jan 1955 Ring accounts Schmidt's next two fights against Harry Brett and Al McCoy. BoxRec has a note on the Brett fight that Brett fought as Harold Davis. The Ring account in fact says Schmidt was to fight McCoy on that September 23, 1954 date but McCoy did not turn up so a hurried substitute, Harold Davis came in to fight Schmidt weighing in at 173 lbs, 27 lbs lighter than Schmidt with schmidt scoring a 3rd round KO. Then the Ring accounts Schmidt fighting McCoy finally (Oct 10 per BoxRec) weighing in 8 lbs lighter than his Davis fight and taking 40 seconds to dispose of McCoy.

March 1955 Ring had a good paragraph account of Schmidt's fight against Ross Jenkins which turned out to be a big upset with Jenkins, "a bush fighter, some 14 pounds overweight", knocking out Schmidt in the 3rd round coming in as a 10-1 underdog to the Samoan.This account mentions that Schmidt was know for having knocked out 48 straight opponents in Samoa before coming to Australia and starting off there with 3 straight stoppages.

The May 1955 Ring mentions after Schmidt's 8th round KO of Merv Cobb in Feb 1955, that "Fossie is being carefully matched". Then in the next issue of Ring, June 1955 under the column Ring News From Far-Off New Zealand there's a short paragraph about Fossie.The article mentions that there'd been a recent influx of fighters into Auckland fueld by the recent successes of Pacific Island fighters like Kitone Lave, George Naufahn and Johnny Halafihi. It mentions that one of those newcomers is Fossie Schmidt mentioning how Schmidt had become somewhat of a success in Australia by "bowling over a succession of unknowns and third-rate veterans". But then mentions that he apparently had been beaten badly in a few recent rounds. No mention of with whom. No more fights are listed BoxRec after the Merv Cobb fight. So Fossie apparenlty moved on to New Zealand. Looked through about 6 months of Rings after that not finding any other mention of Fossie.

That same article though did mention that Fossie had a brother, Peter Schmidt who was a national amateur heavyweight champion in 1953 who had since turned pro.Peter is in BoxRec fighting from 1954-1960 with a 4-9-0 record. I'll need to look through Peter's career in the Ring Magazines and see what I find.Who knows, maybe some mention of Fossie.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Schmidt_Fossie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #1803
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Peter Schmidt - New Zealand - HW
Career Record: W4(KO 2) / L9(KO 2) / D0

Brother of Samoan heavyweight Fossie Schmidt,Peter was a 1953 amateur heavyweight champion as mentioned in the June 1955 Ring

Oct 1957 Ring had account of fight with Ross Pippett. Note that Pippett had not fought in nearly 5 years after a carrer in Australia and New Zealand as a light heavyweight and that Pippett was 9 years senior to Schmidt.A close 10 round fight.

Lost 15 round decision to Roy Stevens in June 1957 for the then vacant New Zealand Boxing Association Heavyweight title that was vacated by Chub keith's retirement noted in BoxRec.

Schmidt fought George Mahoni in Sept 1960 for the again vacant New Zealand Heavyweight Title. Mahoni TKo'd Schmidt in the 13th per account in BoxRec.There was a short account of the fight in the Sept 16, 1960 Boxing News.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Schmidt_Peter_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #1804
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Harry Brett - Australia - MW
Career Record: W1(KO 0)/ L2(KO 1) / D0

Jan 1955 Ring accounts Fossie Schmidt's fight against Harry Brett and Al McCoy. BoxRec has a note on the Brett fight that Brett fought as Harold Davis. The Ring account in fact says Schmidt was to fight McCoy on that September 23, 1954 date but McCoy did not turn up so a hurried substitute, Harry Brett, alias Harold Davis came in to fight Schmidt weighing in at 173 lbs, 27 lbs lighter than Schmidt with Schmidt scoring a 3rd round KO. BoxRec lists Brett's weight as 169 and Schmidt's as 200.

LeeSky's posting mentioned Harold Davis, but, I did not have a file I saw he'd created for a Harold Davis or Harry Brett. I went ahead and made Brett up. Did not take any time to test anything with this file.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Brett_Harry_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #1805
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Steve Zoranich - Australia - HW
Career Record: w16(KO 11) / L8(KO 5) / D0

TITLES:
West Australia State Heavyweight Title

Original rating from LeeSkye.

Defeated Pat Kenny in Nov 1955 for the West Australia State Heavyweight title and then successfully defended it in May 1956 in a 15 round decision over Carlo Mar chini.

Lost to Allen Williams for the Australian HeayWeight Title in December 1957 when Williams KO'd Zoranich at the 0:50 mark in the 15th round. Williams later beat Zoranich again in November 1959 for the HW title this time by 15 round decision.In a 3rd try for the Australian HW Title, Zoranich was KO'd by Steve Raduly in the 6th round in Jan. 1960.

After his first defeat to Williams, Zoranich does not show up in a fight till July 1959 against Bob Murdoch. March 1960 Ring mentions Zoranich's fight on Dec 14, 1959 against Carlo Marchini noting Zoranich as Australia's number two heavyweight contender.

Zoranich was one time Australian Amateur heavyweight boxing champion.In an article found about Zoranich participating in the 1954 Commonwealth Games, Zoranich came to Australia from Croatia at the age of 11.A July 10, 1954 "The Mirror" newspaper article found on the internet discusses how Zoranich who had won the Autralian amateur heavyweight title in Sydney the previous November and was to fight in the Empire Games in Vancouver was denied a landing visa in Hawaii by the United States for"political grounds".From an article on a Facebook website just posted in fact in October 2018, Zoranich apparently at his own expense (family and friends helping him) had to make his way to Vancouver via Singapore, Calcutta, Cairo, Rome, London and Iceland. Steve fought Brian London at the Empire Games. London put Zoranich down with a right cross and witness' say Zoranich got back up quickly beating the count but the referee claimed he did not and declaced London the winner. This same article accounts after Steve's retirement from Boxing he went into horse training owning upwards of 10 racehorses.Much of this information was apparently supplied by Steve Zoranich Jr.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Zoranich_Steve_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #1806
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Fossi Schmidt

Attached file I've added a wikipedia website link to his file that i came across today. Not sure why I missed this before! So good info on him of his Samoan boxing background.

After boxing he was a member of the Legislative Assembly of Samoa from 1964-1999.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Schmidt_Fossie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #1807
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Ross Jenkins - Australia - HW
Career Record: W3(KO 3) / L3(KO 3) / D0

Original Rating by LeeSky.

Was KO'd in 5th round by Allen Williams in Sept 1954 fight for the New South Wales State Heavyweight Title.

March 1955 Ring had a good paragraph account of Schmidt's fight against Ross Jenkins which turned out to be a big upset with Jenkins, "a bush fighter, some 14 pounds overweight", knocking out Schmidt in the 3rd round coming in as a 10-1 underdog to the Samoan.This account mentions that Schmidt was know for having knocked out 48 straight opponents in Samoa before coming to Australia and starting off there with 3 straight stoppages.

April 1955 Ring account of Jenkins' Jan 20 '55 fight against Kitione Lave, Jenkins was put down twice in the first round by Lave with the fight ending by KO in the first round, not the 2nd as noted by BoxRec. Ring correspondant noted not withstanding Jenkins' shocking TKO win over Fossie Schmidt the previous month, Jenkins,"the local still if very green".

In October 1957 Jenkins was stopped by Bob "Jock" Murdock in the 10th round of 12 for the New South Wales State Heavyweight title.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Jenkins_Ross_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #1808
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Rudy Crivic - Australia - HW / LHW
Career Record: W6(KO 2) / L10(KO 6) / D0

Original rating by LeeSky.

Lost by 7th round KO to Allen Williams in July 1953 for the New South Wales State Heavyweight title.

Only found a brief account of Crivic's 12 round decision loss to Allen Williams April 1954 in the July 1954 Ring. He then lost by 3rd round KO to Johnny Halafihi in July 1954 and shows in BoxRec not fighting again until December 1955.In the November 1954 Ring under Ray Mitchell's "News From Sunny Australia" he notes Monthly Australian ratings and has Ken Brady as Champion, Contender: Allen Williams and then Rated: Rudy Crivic and Cec Meredith.

In March 1957 Ring, Australian boxing news writer Ray Mitchell alled Crivic's 6 round TKO loss to Don "Bronco" Johnson in Nov 1956 a "tame fight".

After fighting 9 times in 1953 as a heavyweight, Crivic's fight career became very infrequent, fighting only twice in 1954 loosing to Allen Williams and Johnny Halafihi. As noted already he did not fight for almost a year and half until stopping Barry Chalker in December 1955.It was then another year layoff till he fought Don Johnson in NOvember 1956. That fight and his last three against Cobb, Bourke and Bob "Jock" Murdoch show his fight weights as a Light Heavy which is how BoxRec lists him. Interesting that the British Edition April-May 1957 Ring under Ray Mitchell's column lists Crivic under his Heavyweight ratings of Australian fighters for the month, but then in the May Ring 1957 which I have, there is an account of the Crivic vs Bourke fight, this account, which notes that Crivic quit the fight after he objected the referee cautioning for illegal work, says both fighters are light heavies. The Sept 1957 Ring accounts the Crivic vs Bob Murdoch fight calling Murdoch a light-heavy to watch.

Point being after that year layoff after the Chalker fight Crivic did comeback slimmed down to a light heavy, thus I've created split HW / LHW ratings for him.

Career HW: W5(KO 2) / L7(KO 3) / D0
Career LHW: W1(KO 0) / L3(KO 3) / D0
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Crivic_Rudy_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #1809
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Barry Chalker - Australia - MW/LHW

I posted a new file for Chalker back in post# 1775.

Changing nothing just if you want to add a tad of Bio info to his file.

The October 1955 Ring account of Chalker's fight against Carl Marchin in July called it a "rather unspectacular" fight. Referred to both fighters as light heavies.

The October 1957 Ring called the Ernie Hughes 2nd round KO of Chalker in June 1957 for the Queensland State Heavyweight Title an upset.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #1810
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Isimeli Radrodro - Fiji - HW
Career Record: W10(KO 4) / L6(KO 5) / D0

TITLES:
Fijian Heavyweight Title

Original Rating by Lee Skye.

BoxRec lists him as LHW. Not sure why. Someone knows something I did not find about him? Maybe very early on he fought in LHW range. He was rated by Lee and I kept him as HW. While play testing I was looking at results against the Henry Bray in the TBCB data base and Bray was way over proforming I felt against Isimeli. So I started looking at Bray's ratings while working on Isimeli can came up with a pretty significantly new rating included in this post play testing Bray's career and watching how he was stacking up against Isimeli in the 4 bouts they fought.

First fight listed by BoxRec in Dec 1951 was a TKO loss in 7th to Henry Bray, billed as for Fijian Heavyweight Title. In July 1953 Radrodro and Bray fought again for the Fijian title, this time Isimeli winning by 12 round decision.

The infrequency of the fights listed in BoxRec has to indicate just a lack of information on his career.

Henry Bray - HW - Fiji
Career Record: W13(KO 10) / L13(KO 2) / D0

TITLES:
Fijian Heavyweight Title

Original Rating by Conn Chris and that was tweeked by the TBCB3 Team.

Defeated Isimeli Radrodro, 7th round TKO in Dec 1951 for the Fijian title. Later in July 1953 he lost the title to Radrodro in a 12 round decision and then in his last recorded fight in BoxRec Bray lost a 15 round decision to Tom Hini for the Fijian title.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Radrodro_Isimeli_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Bray_Henry_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #1811
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Jim Woods - Australia - LHW / HW
Career Record: W34(KO 17) / L17(KO 5) / D0

Original rating by LeeSky.

If Jim Woods was fighting as a heavyweight during the course of his career he was pretty small one going by the fight weights in his BoxRec career. Biggest fight of note in his career is his bout on July 9th, 1952 for the Australian Heavyweight Title against middleweight great Dave Sands. Sands who fought and held various middleweight and light heavyweight titles gained this heavyweight crown with a 4th round KO of Woods. Tragedy struck a month late when Sands was killed in an auto accident.

Woods fought six more times that year, 1952 winning 3 and loosing 3 ending his career knocked out in the 9th round by Isimeli Radrodro with Woods downed four times in the bout according to BoxRec.

www.fightsrec.com lists Woods as a light heavyweight and notes Billy Lawrence as his trainer. A very short December 1952 account of Woods fight with Jack Wilson in sept 1952 noted the fighters as light heavies.

I first just copied Lee's HW rating and called it a LHW and play tested in a schedule and I was really pleased with the results! I did not change this rating except for increasing the Clinch number to 71. I tested Lee's HW rating and again against HW's of similar caliber results were very good so you'll see the two ratings are the same except for that Clinch in the LHW.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Woods_Jim_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #1812
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

While looking over the net for any info on Ken Brady I came across a real good article from a newspaper, The Sunday Mail from Australia dating from Aug 30, 1953 with an article about Ken Brady. With it there were some snipits on some other young Aussie heavyweights from the Queensland area at the time. Following are some ratings I did up for them. The article which I've put in the TB file so you can look it up had some photos of 4 of the fighters. Look up the article you'll enjoy it.

Kelly Couper - Australia - HW
Career Record: W1(KO 1) / L1(KO 0) / D0

DOB has been estimated from an internet newspaper article, The Sunday Mail from Australia on Aug 30, 1953 which place Couper's age at 22 and height 6ft 2-1/2in.

Article mentions he is a timber cutter from Pialba getting ready to fight Allen Williams and has a 13-1/2" fist.

Rating is a random generation with a couple tweeks. Did no testing. Something to put another Australian in your data base.

Johnny Halpin - Australia - HW
Career Record: W2(KO 1) / L0(KO 0) / D0

DOB has been estimated.

Arrived in heavyweight boxing with some resurgence of in Queensland in 1953 with ken Berry, Cec Meredith, Kelly Couper, Tom Hagenbach and Les Maxim.

Fought only once though in Sept 1953 and then records one other fight in 1958 in BoxRec winning both. Did no playtesting of this. RFG'd and tweeked a little something that looked good to me.

Tom Hagenbach - Australia - HW
Career Record: W0(KO 0) / L1(KO 1) / D0

unknown information has been left blank.

DOB is estimated from the article in The sunday Mail, Australia paper on the internet which placed his age as 27 in the Aug 30, 1953 article. The article mentioned Hagenback held a decision win over an Olympian fighter, Carl Fitzgerald.

This article spells his name ending with an h, not a k as the boxrec file has.
Again, RFG tweeked a bit then and no playtesting.

Les Maxim - Australia - LHW
Career Record: W1(KO 1) / L3(KO 3) / D0

Unknown information has been left blank.

Did a little testing of this fighter having fought Crivac and Halafihi.

DOB is estimated at 1931 as the The Sunday Mail article places his age at 22 in the August, 30, 1953 article.

The Sunday Mail, Australian newspaper article on the internet talking about some young Australian heavyweights mentions Maxim is from Poland and trained by Eric Boon a one time English champion. Describes Maxim as a wild fighter always trying to use brute force.

Cec Meredith - Australia - HW
Career Record: W7(KO 7) / L13(KO 6) / D0

TITLES:
Queensland Heavyweight Title

Thought I had a rating for Meredith by someone else but could not find it.

DOB has been estimated from an August 30, 1953 The Sunday Mail, an Australian publication found on the internet placed Meredith's age as 25 and height at 5ft 9in.
The same article places Meredith hailing from Atherton, Tableland, a part of the Great Dividing Range in Queensland. He began his fight career in Brisbane and then moved on to Melbourne.

Won KO victories of Don Furner and Bill Montgomery for the Queensland title. Lost to Ken Brady in August 1953 and in April 1954 for the Autralian Heavyweight title and Ernie Hughes in March 1956 and April 1956 for the Queensland Heavyweight Title.

Nev Stark - Australia - HW
Career Record: W0(KO 0) / L1(KO 1) D0

DOB has been estimated.

KO'd in 2nd round by Johnny halpin in Sept 1953. RFG'd Stark with some tweeking till it looked something I liked.

So enjoy a few Aussies to pad your DB a bit if you don't have these already. Again I swear I'd seen Meredith before but searching the Forums could not find him.

Next I'll get back to looking at Brady.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Couper_Kelly_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Halpin_Johnny_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Hagenbach_Tom_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #1813
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Rest of the previous 6 fighters.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Maxim_Les_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Meredith_Cec_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Stark_Nev_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #1814
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSky's Aussies

Here's photos of 4 of those previous fighters from that article that I was able to capture and size to use.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #1815
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Here's from that article.....
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #1816
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

LeeSkye's Aussies

Joveci Bau - Fiji - HW
Career Record: W4(KO 2) / L4(KO 3) / D0

Original Rating by: Lee Skye

Boxrec lists 4 wins over Peter Schmidt, Bob Schuster, Ken Brady and Bruce Farthing all in 1955. Then in 1956 looses a 12 round decision to Brady and is KO'd twice by Allen Williams in 11th and 12th rounds. In two years he then fights George Mahoni in Mahoni's debut loosing by 10th round KO.

After I look at Allen Williams and Ken Brady I may come back and look at Bau again, I fiddled around with his ratings from Lee's original. Not really happy yet with replay results. Averaged only about 1.5 times KO'd. Seeing his results against Brady and Williams, I'm more curious to look at them. Granted Bau beat Brady by decision in their first fight and lost by decision in the 2nd and replay results between those two were more acceptable, but against Williams, they were pretty much splitting their two fights with Williams stopping him only 1 or 2 time out of 4-5 wins.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Bau_Joveci_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #1817
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Ring Magazines

Question for any Ring Magazine expert/historians out there. I've been gradually collecting them to go back to the earlier 1950s particularly to research British heavyweight boxing along with European.

I'd got complete back to 1954. I'm trying to cover the time period of the careers of the prominent mid/late 1950s British HW's like Henry Cooper, Brian London, Dick Richardson, etc. I wanted to look back at least a couple years before that what was going on in British and European boxing so I'd started collecting some 1952 and 1953's. With the issues I've attained I see that the Ring did not start posting their British Empire ratings till around July 1952. I see the Continental (European) ratings from the beginning of 1952.

Can anyone tell me if in fact that mid 1952 is when Ring started the British Empire ratings and maybe just did the sporadically for some reason before that? I know Jan thru think it was June 1952 they did not post them. Then started doing so after that. Anyone have some historical background on why Ring posted the continental but not the British Empire. Partly just curious the history behind the ratings, but partly then this 1952 time period would look to be a good start point of my look back through the British/European heavyweight/LHW world.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #1818
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Lee Skye's Aussies

Ken Brady - Australia - HW
Career Record: W15(KO 8) / L7(KO 2) / D0

TITLES:
Australian Heavyweight Title

Unknown Information has been left blank.

Original Rating by Lee Skye

Knocked out Reg Mack in 8 rounds in May 1953 to win the vacant Australian Heavyweight Title. The title had become vacant with the death of Dave Sands. In August that same year Brady defended the title stopping Cec Meredith in the 4th round. Brady beat Meredith in a rematch for the title in April 1954 stopping him in the 8th round. In May 1955, Brady lost the title to Allen Williams by a 15 round decision. A year and half before those two had fought a 12 round decision battle also won by Williams.

The Sunday Mail article found on the internet with the weblink above from August 30, 1953 has some nice personnel information on Brady. He was 20 at the time and his birth name was Ken Bradbury and had migrated to Australia two years previous. The article discussed his plans to return home within two years his goal as an Empire and World heavyweight contender. Grand ambitions indeed.

The Sunday Mail article mentions that Brady won the Australian Heavyweight title in the 8th round by fracturing Reg Mack's jaw with a right cross. Talks of his association with trainer Ambrose Palmer.

In the Feb 1955 Ring's Annual Ratings for 1954 Brady had reached Class A standing amongst the heavyweights of the world.He reached 5th ranked Heavyweight British Empire standing in the Ring's Jan. 1955 edition.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Brady_Ken_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #1819
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I seem to recall there was a British edition of The Ring Magazine in the 50s. I wonder if the Empire rankings were only posted there at first. A big chunk of the American version was devoted to pro wrassling so they might not have had space early on.

Cap
Old 01-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #1820
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I seem to recall there was a British edition of The Ring Magazine in the 50s. I wonder if the Empire rankings were only posted there at first. A big chunk of the American version was devoted to pro wrassling so they might not have had space early on.

Cap
Hey Cap, You brought up a good possibility. You mention the "wrassling" I always felt that was one big waste of print space on the part of Ring. But I guess people like/liked it. Gosh I can remember when I was very young in the Mid -60's my Dad watching the "wrassling" on TV. I kind of remember thinking back even then so young how fake it looked.