Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #1681
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Started looking at my Jan 58 issue of Ring on page 5, "From Our Readers" i read this letter to Nat Fleischer from LHW Clinton Bacon. Interesting. So I looked his record up on BoxRec. Seen his last fight was in 1958 of January (Keep in mind the issues of Ring were about 1-1/2 to 2 months behind when fights took place, so Clintons January 1958 fight, his last career fight took place after this Ring was issued) and had one in 1956. Had to go back to 1955 when he was fighting any regularly and thus the reason for his letter to the Ring. In BoxRec saw he passed away in 1963 at the very early age of 37. I was able to find a short article in the October 1963 Ring and found out he passed away suffering from cancer.

Found TB file for Bacon done at some point by Mark Elwood. I've updated some personnel data on him in it and noted some things in the biography from the Ring letter and Oct 63 article. I did some retesting after building a schedule for his career trying to build some like fighters from the 25000+ i have in my data base. My testing ended up raising his overall rating from 3 that Mark had to 5. basically upped considerably his punching prowess. Was getting only about half dozen KO's for him originally. Any here's a new file for Bacon. Interesting find just seeing that letter from him to the Ring Magazine way back in January 1958
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Clinton_Bacon_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.2 KB, 71 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #1682
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

From the January 1958 ring, looked at some South African News:

Saturday 05 October 1957
Rand Stadium
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
boxer lbs record boxer lbs record
Mike Holt 171¾ 26 6 0 W Tommy du Preez 174½ 13 1 1 TKO 6/12
Light Heavyweight
South African light heavyweight title
referee: Wilf Lubbe
Graham van der Walt 9 1 2 W Pat van Biljon 4 0 1 TKO 12/12
Featherweight
South African featherweight title
Jimmy Taylor 3 1 1 W Karl Stols 2 2 0 KO 2/6
Welterweight
Eric Thompson 4 0 2 W Anibal Angelo 2 3 0 TKO 2/6
Lightweight
Louw Strydom 16 12 0 W George Richter 4 1 0 KO 3/4
Heavyweight
Jannie Botes debut W Joe Comacho 0 7 0 TKO 1/4
Welterweight
Charlie Els 124½ 3 1 0 W Steve Evenwell 125 0 1 1 PTS 4/4
Featherweight

JANUARY 1958 RING – The main event at Rand Stadium in Johannesburg featured the Mike Holt, 26-6-0 defending his South African Light Heavyweight title against Tommy du Preez 13-1-1. Holt after fighting as a middleweight and holder of the South African Middleweight crown had relinquished that title to move up to the LHW division and in May of 1957 had won the South African LHW crown with a 1st round KO of Stan Lotriet. This matchup against du Preez being his first title defense. Du Preez surprised the crowd with a knockdown of Holt in the first round! Holt recovered himself between rounds and sent du Preez to the canvas in the 2nd round for a 9 count and late in the round sent du Preez down again but he immediately got up but with his nose bleeding and Holt took control of the fight after that. In the 6th round, a shot to the right jaw sent du Preez through the ropes for another 9 count and then Holt swarmed over du Preez with went down again face first. He got up again in 9 but referee Wilf Lubbe stopped the fight.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – Our rematch had the same results but much quicker. A nasty uppercut one minute into the 1st round hurts du Preez then two more uppercuts continue the punishment. Du Preez gets through the round but then in the 2nd half way through a series of punches rock du Preez then a strong uppercut sends du Preez down at 1:58 for 9 count before Tommy gets to his feet. Holt continues to batter away pretty much at will when suddenly just before the end of the round, the referee steps in between his fighters waving his arms and stops the fight! Holt is winner by TKO at 2:56 of the 2nd round!

I did some upgrading of Holt. I created two new split ratings, one for middleweight which he fought at earlier in his career and then I created a new LHW rating which with my testing I did for fights only covering the span when he’d relinquished his middleweight title, I’ve come up with a 7 rating for LHW. The attached file still contains the TB2013 LHW rating. Updated some info on him and made some notes about his passing away in 2008 from an article I found on the internet along with splitting ratings for MW and LHW.

JANUARY 1958 RING - In a 4 round undercard, heavweights Louw Strydom and George Richter fought. With Strydom KO victor in the 3rd round.

TITLE BOUT 2013 - Rematch fight, in the first round Strydom sends Richter down for a 9 count at 2:33 in the round. Richter recovers in the 2nd and makes a fight of it actually winning the round on the score cards. The 3rd round though is all Strydom as he sends Richter down for an 8 counts at the 1:32 mark and then Richter goes down again at 2:40 managing to get up at the 9 count. The referee at first continues the fight but Strydom quickly pins Richter on the ropes finding Richter defenseless to Strydom’s continued punches the referee stops it at 2:53 in the 3rd, TKO victory for Louw Strydom.
Louw Strydom, I had a rating for him that Sal did some years back. I updated info on the fighter and did some updating the ratings adding to his punches and HP rating considerably but also adjusted his KO ratings to make his time KO’d come up more accurately so his overall rating still came out as 0. I don’t remember but I think Sal’s original rating was a 1.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Mike_Holt_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Tommy_du Preez_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Louw_Strydom_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: tbdx3 George_Richter_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #1683
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Saturday 26 October 1957
Showgrounds
Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa
promoter Cape Town Sporting Club
Chris van Rooyen 17 15 2 W Vic Bredenkamp 4 0 0 KO 1/12
Middleweight
vacant South African middleweight title
Graham van der Walt 10 1 2 W Mickey Ravell 2 0 0 KO 2/12
Featherweight
South African featherweight title
Arthur Howard 28 9 2 L Mike Holt 27 6 0 PTS 10/10
Light Heavyweight
referee: Edgar Lipsett
Roy Louw 139¾ 7 7 0 W Ivan Peacock 142½ 3 0 0 RTD 5/10
Welterweight
Vacant Cape Welterweight Title
Stan Lotriet 12 8 1 W Louw Strydom 17 12 0 KO 2/8
Heavyweight
Billy Lotter 154½ 8 1 0 W Kid Combrink 155¾ 4 5 0 DQ 6/8
Middleweight

JANUARY 1958 RING – At the Agricultural Showground in Paarl, South Africa Mike Holt took on light heavyweight Arthur Howard from Islington, London gaining a 10 round points win over the Howard who put Hold down for a two count in the 2nd round and then again for an eight count in the fifth. Holt managed to come back though strong in the last rounds to gain the victory.

In one of the undercards, heavyweights Stan Lotriet and Louw Strydom went at it. There was no account at all of this fight in the Ring issue.

TITLE BOUT 2013 - In our first rematch Howard comes out strong in the 1st round connecting with a variety of punches to win the round. In the 2nd round though Holt manages to land a big hook to send Arthur down for 8 before he manages to gain back his legs and stand up. Later in the round Holt manages to open a cut over Howard’s left eye. Round three ends an evenly matched round with both fighters landing some punches but missing others. In round 4, Howard connects with a strong cross a little more than in minute in the round which opens a cut under Holt’s right eye to draw blood. A decided 4th round for Howard. Then in the 5th round late in the round, a punishing over hand right to the jaw jolts Howard and the previous cut from earlier in the fight suffers more severe damage and at 2:38 in the 5th the fight is stopped, TKO victory for Mike Holt.

Arthur Howard was a fighter originally done by David Myers. I later dis a bit of updating to it I think, not sure I remember when. But I did take create a new middleweight rating which Howard fought at early in his career. I made some adjustments to the LHW rating.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – Lotriet vs Strydom was all Strydom as he knocked Lotriet down 3 times in the 2nd and then after Lotriet managed to get up at the count of 9 after being sent down by a perfect hook from Strydom, about 12 seconds later another strong hook sent Lotriet back down and was counted out in 10 right before the bel rang to end the 5th round. KO for Louw Strydom.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Arthur_Howard_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Stan_Lotriet_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #1684
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Photo Stan Lotriet

I found this on the internet searching Photo was identified as Stan Lotriet?
Attached Images
Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #1685
Hootowl9
Minors (Double A)

Sweet !

Hey Rocco Del Sesto ,
Thanks for all these wonderful posts! Really enjoy the backgrounds and history! It's like frosting on the cake! The history of this sport is so rich that at times It's more fun than the game itself. Great reading.
Great to have you back!
Hootowl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #1686
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Busy past week! Not much time at the computer but finally got some this evening!

Saturday 12 October 1957
Festhalle
Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hans Friedrich 28 14 6 L Heinz Neuhaus 40 7 6 PTS 10/10
Heavyweight
Erich Schoppner 173¾ 16 0 1 W Artenio Calzavara 174 31 6 4 PTS 10/10
Light Heavyweight
Rocco Mazzola 13 1 1 W Uwe Janssen 17 4 3 PTS 8/8
Erich Walter 15 3 2 W Giancarlo Brusa 12 5 3 PTS 6/6
Manfred Schneider 8 2 2 W Albert Duscha 6 5 3 PTS 6/6
Heavyweight
Ulli Ritter 2 0 0 L Ossi Buettner 3 3 3 PTS 6/6
Heavyweight

JANUARY 1958 RING- A big guys night in Frankfurt Germany. First up we’ll call in Erich Schoppner and Artenio Calzavara. These two light heavyweights were on the opposite ends of their careers with Schoppner 25 at the time sporting a 16-0-1 11KO record while Calzavara was nearing the back end of his but at the pinnacle of it. While Schoppner was coming in undefeated the meeting with Calzavara was his first real name challenge with the exception of middleweight Albert Finch 72(21KO)-21-9 whom Schoppner earned an 8 round points win over. Calzavara was 31-6-4 had held the Italian Light Heavyweight title for year now and had just defeated Gerhard Hecht in July in a 15 round decision for the European light heavy title though according to one of two short articles in this 1958 January Ring edition, that win over Hecht “was disputed”. In that same article it noted that Schoppner’s win over Calzavara was a clear and easy 10 round victory. The other account of this fight noted that Schoppner’s win over Finch back in February of that year was lustily booed by the crowd for getting the decision. The article though noted that Schoppner kept on winning bouts over “second raters” before getting his first big chance against Calzavara. The fight was close for several rounds before Schoppner started to loose some of his edge by the 8th but then he used hooks and jabs to put Calzavara on the defense over the last two rounds to earn Schoppner a clear victory heartily cheered by the 10,000+ crowd at the Festhalle. This was Schoppner’s turn to the lime light of the light heavy division at least in Europe, going on to win the German and European light heavy crowns. He never got his chance though at Archie Moore for the world title. It will be interesting to read more later about Schoppner’s career on forward. For Calzavara though this turned out to be the beginning of the end as he ended up finishing 1-6-3 including his last two fights being 8 round draws with Domenico Baccheschi and then Pekka Kokkonen.

Both of these fighters are in the official TB2013 data base. I’ve updated a little info on them. The Schoppner file I’ve attached you see is spelled Schoppner. The file in TB it’s spelled Schoeppner. BoxRec shows him as Schoppner along with the accounts I’ve seen in Ring thus far along with other accounts about him on the internet. Interesting that the photo on his file in BoxREc has a title under it spelling it Schoeppner. I’ve chosen at this point Schoppener. I did a couple test runs of Schoppener. I’ve got all but about 6 of his career opponents in my data base. The results I was getting were very good. Think the current rating is pretty right on so didn’t alter that any. The Calzavara file though I changed some. I increased his HP to 5 to get his KO’s to come out better. I lowered though then his Control ratings from 8 to 5! His overall remained at 4 so his record was coming out pretty close to actual with KO’s better. Part of the fun of this game playing with the ratings and see how they come out.

TITLE BOUT 2013 - When I was doing my play testing for both fighters, results were much Schoppner winning 9 out 10 bouts with around 2KO’s. So that was good considering they fought to that 10 round decision in 1957. In my replay bout, Schoppner takes a 10 round decision again! Two score cards give Erich as clean 98-93 scores while the third is close at 96-95 but good for a unanimous decision for the German!

Looking forward to going through the rest of this card put on in Frankfurt back in October 1957. Think I have pretty much all of the over fighters present in my DB. Be out unavailable again to the computer the next couple nights but hope to spend some time later in the week/weekend on this rest of this interesting set of European HW's and LHW's.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Artenio_Calzavara_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Erich_Schoppner_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #1687
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING - Hans Friedrich vs Heinz Neuhaus at the Festhalle in Frankfort on Oct 12, 1957. Heuhaus, a month before had lost by 8th round TKO his German Heayweight title to Hans Kalbfell. This match with Friedrich was looked upon and noted in this Ring account as being a contest for the right to challenge Kalbfell for that title. The fight was described in the Ring as “monotonous but rugged” for the 10 rounds it went for a Neuhaus victory on points. Friedrich displayed is penchant for less than clean fighting as he was found guilty of several fouls during the fight.

TITLE BOUT 2013 - A surprise outcome in my replay as Friedrich won a majority decision despite being warned for low blows in the 4th and 5th rounds, the one in the 5th costing him a point. Scores on the cards were 98-92, 97-93 and 95-95. Both of these fighters are in the TBCB 2013 data base. I’ve done my usual little bit of fighter info update where needed. Friedrich I did more modification to him altering his Chin ratings as he was getting stopped too much. Neuhaus I ever so slightly modified him. I upped his HP from 2 to 3 and his Control Ratings to 10/9 from 9/8. That brought his KO’s and wins more in line.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Hans_Friedrich_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Heinz_Neuhaus_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #1688
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING – Rocco Mazzola vs Uwe Janssen at the Festhalle in Frankfort on Oct 12, 1957. Rocco is about 2-1/2 months removed from loosing his Italy Light Heavyweight Title to Alessandro D’Ottavio. It was Rocco’s first career loss after 13 wins and a draw which had placed him well up in the top 10 of the Ring’s Continental Cruisers ratings in 1957. A very short note on this fight in this issue of the Ring mentions that Janssen is a Southpaw. So, for the attached file I’ve updated him as a Southpaw. I think I’d rated Janssen in the past. Have to dig back into old files and postings to be sure. Did some play tweeking of his ratings also to brings his KO’s up and with it overall record came more in line. Rocco’s file is split between LHW and HW, the majority of his career was as a LHW. I’ve messed some with both ratings. See his Bio, I’ve made some notes of how I think his career breaks down between LHW and HW based on some info I found in some 1960 Ring issues.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – Janssen wins a Unanimous decision with the scoring not close, 77-76, 78-74 and 78-74. A slow tedious fight will a lot of clinching on both sides especially Rocco. Was hard watching my name sake fight this one. Wasn’t really fighting. Looking at the rating difference between the two did not figure any chance for Janssen in this one. So much for what I know!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Rocco_Mazzola_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Uwe_Janssen_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #1689
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING – Manfred Schneider vs Albert Duscha at the Festhalle in Frankfort on Oct 12, 1957. The short mention of this fight in the Ring indicates Schneider as a Cruiser. The TB2013 file for Schneider has him as a heavyweight. Like Duscha he fought up and down between LHW and HW opponents. Duscha also in his TB2013 file is rated as a heavy. Left both of them as heavies. Did some usual info update. Schneider I upped his HP by 1 and his Controls by 1. The original rating rated his foul tendency as Often. With only the one DQ I changed that to Occasional. Matter of opinion I know. Duscha I dropped his HP to 1. All minor tweaks. Could easily I guess have left the ratings as they were.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – Duscha as back in 1957 falls in a 6 round decision to Manfred, by Unanimous call in our replay rather one sided with 59-55, 59-55 and 58-56 scores. Duscha’s best round was the first winning it on all three cards. He managed to take the 2nd round also from the one judge but everything else counted Scheider’s way.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Albert_Duscha_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Manfred_Schneider_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #1690
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING - Our last match up at the Festhalle in Frankfort on Oct 12, 1957 Ulli Ritter vs Ossi Buttner. Both of these heavyweights were rated in the past. Did Ritter back in 2004 in the early days of this thread as part of my Gerhard Zech career replay and then did Buttner later in 2006. Done a little play testing with some minor updates. Not a lot. Updated bio and fighter info. Found Buttner had passed away in 2015. In looking for some info on them in the internet didn’t find much other than some fight accounts for Ritter. Buttner found some interesting info. Again he passed away in Sarasota, Florida on Sept 18, 2015. Found a couple websites with obituaries which leads to say his birth name was Oswald Ludwig Buettner spelled like BoxRec lists him. Accounts in my Ring magazines and on the internet spell it Buttner making me believe that is how he spelled it professionally. Buttner had a what say interesting wife. See these website: https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/art...er-by-bay-2014 along with some others a simple google search of Ossi Buttner will show up.

The Ring’s two accounts of this fight only mentions that they fought as part of this card at the Festhalle, one though says Ritter was the winner in the bout, while the other says Buttner was the winner which is how BoxRec lists it.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – In my rematch, Buttner is the winner again by split decision, 57-56, 56-57, 57-56 on the score cards. In the 3rd round Buttner manages to get in an uppercut when Ritter was attempting to move inside on Ossi, putting Ulli down for a 4 count. It was the only knockdown of the fight.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Ossi_Buttner_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Ulli_Ritter_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #1691
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Saturday 12 October 1957
Killesberghalle
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Max Resch 30 1 2 W Manuel Ramon Correa 47 25 7 PTS 10/10
Helmut Hohmann 12 10 3 D Theo Baars 14 7 3 PTS 8/8
Horst Niche 25 4 3 D Hans Ducree 3 0 1 PTS 6/6
Cruiserweight
Manfred Haas 6 0 0 W Francisco Frances 28 38 4 PTS 6/6
Helmut Mistol 10 0 2 W Eugenio Cifuentes 8 12 3 KO 3/6
Gerhard Moll 12 16 2 W Alois Brand 31 31 21 PTS 4/4

JANUARY 1958 RING – This event in Stuttgart, Germany brought on by promoter Willi Knorzer and drawing an good crowd of 4000 was mainly a welterweight/middleweight card set. There was one heavy divisions matchup that of Horst Niche and Hans Ducree in a 6 rounder which ended in a draw. No details in Ring about the fight only it was a draw. BoxRec lists Horst as a heavyweight. File I had in my datat base was done originally by David Myers rated as a 1 HW. He did fight at times in heavyweight range weights and heavyweight opponents but looking through his whole career I would just rate him as a light heavyweight which I’ve done for the included file. I’ve left David’s original HW rating also. Hans Ducree is a new guy to introduce, at least I don’t have him. Light Heavy to be sure in his limited 15 fight career. Later on in their careers about a year and a half later these two met again and Ducree came away with an 8 round decision over Niche.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – In our replay, Ducree carried the first and 3rd rounds winning that first with the help of a perfect cross at the half minute mark to send Niche to the canvas for a quick 4 count. Horst recovered though and fought back in the 2nd round but taking the advantage back in close 3rd round, Ducree came out in the 4th, quickly trapped Niche into a corner to land another cross. Then with Ducree seemingly tied up in the neutral corner, he manages to land a short hook that catches Niche flush. Horst drops to the canvas for the 2nd time in the fight, but his time despite a struggle to get back up he cannot beat the count and is counted out at the 1:41 mark of the 4th round! Knockout for Hans Ducree!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Horst_Niche_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Hans_Ducree_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 03-08-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #1692
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Monday 14 October 1957
St. Nicholas Arena
New York, New York, USA
Gene Armstrong 153¾ 10 0 0 W Eddie Thompson 156¾ 12 0 1 TKO 7/10
Middleweight
time: 3:00 referee: Petey Scalzo
Bout was stopped because of a deep cut over Thompson's left eye.
Candy McFarland 138½ 4 1 0 W Bertram Bailey 141 7 6 3 UD 6/6
Haywood Johnson 157 debut W Mike Campbell 158½ 6 4 1 PTS 6/6
Sid Rubenstein 206½ 1 1 0 W Henry Wallitsch 185½ debut PTS 4/4
Heavyweight
Frank Medley 138¼ 1 0 0 W Jimmy Leftwich 138¾ 0 0 1 TKO 2/4
Lightweight
time: 2:49

JANUARY 1958 RING – St. Nicholas Arena stage on Oct 14, 1957 saw one heavyweight bout, a 4 rounder between Sid Rubenstein and Henry Wallitsch as part of the undercard to the main event between middleweights Gene Armstrong and Eddie Thompson. A good account of that fight in this Ring edition. Only mentions that Rubenstein outpunched Wallitsch. This was Sid’s 3rd bout in a short 4 fight career noted in BoxRec. Sid was KO’d in the 3rd of a scheduled 4 rounder by Tony Esperti in his inaugural bout in July 1951. No other accounts for Sid until 3 fights in latter part of 1957 including Henry Wallitsch’s debut here at St. Nicholas arena. Rubenstein managed the 4 round decision against Henry, but Wallitsch put himself together a modest career 14-13 record fighting toward the end of it likes of James J. Beattie twice, Carl Baker, Ernie Terrell, Franco De Piccoli and Bob Stallings. Check out the web site included in his rating file. A really nice article I found on Wallitsch that gives some great insite about him. You’ll enjoy the article I’m sure.
Check out this other article I found, mainly not about Wallitsch, but mentions him at the end of it.
http://www.tss.ib.tv/article-archive...d-tony-soprano

TITLE BOUT 2013 – Upset?, Wallitsch was leading on points on 2 of 3 score cards for the first two cards, third had the score even, then at the 43 second mark of the 3rd, Henry catches Sid with a sharp hook after a Rubenstein missed swing and send Sid down for the 10 count! Rubenstein makes a gallant try to get up off the canvas but can’t make it up to beat the count!
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Sid_Rubenstein_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Henry_Wallitsch_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #1693
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Monday 28 October 1957
St. Nicholas Arena
New York, New York, USA
Frankie Ippolito 138 20 6 1 L Tommy Tibbs 132¾ 42 43 3 UD 10/10
Lightweight
referee: Larry Napp 1-9 judge: Frank Fullam 3-7, Sam Irom 3-6
Ippolito was knocked down in the 2nd.
Iggy Maldonado 132½ 10 15 5 L Bernie Jones 126½ 3 1 0 UD 6/6
Lightweight
Kid Chick 118½ 5 2 1 L Ramon Soto 118 2 5 0 KO 2/6
Featherweight
time: 1:59
Gene Hannah 196 debut D Charley Forrest 185½ debut PTS 4/4
Heavyweight
Luis Velez 147 2 1 0 W Joe Naveira 147 2 0 0 TKO 3/4
Welterweight
time: 0:44
Steve Proko 148 4 4 0 W Paul Berrios 150 1 3 0 PTS 4/4
Welterweight

JANUARY 1958 RING – Gene Hannah and Charley Forrest presented a heavyweight segment to the show at St. Nicholas Arena on Oct. 28,1957 which featured Lightweights Frankie Ippolito and Tommy Tibbs. In the heavyweight match, it was the debut appearances for both Hannah and Forrest. They fought to a 4 round draw. For Hannah it was one of three fights listed for him in BoxRec drawing his next one in Nov 57 against Sylvester Garrison and then knocking out Tommy Black in May the next year. Charley Forrest shows 11 bouts in BoxRec with a modest 6-3-2 record with 2 knockouts. Two of his 3 losses were his last two fights, against Alonzo Johnson and Chic Calderwood way over in Scotland. Guy is from New York and fights around that area. What took him all the way to Scotland to fight Calderwood, undefeated at 19-0 at the time? The Ring account of this fight mentions Forrest as Charles Forrest, by his Birth name which BoxRec notes.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – In our TB replay, Charley Forrest takes the first round on 2 of 3 score cards. The advantage changes hands back and forth in alternating arounds with Hannah the winner of all three scores in the 2nd only to relinquish the 3rd round to Forrest by all three judges. Hannah rebounds though in the 4th and dominates the whole round with Forrest able to do little. All three cards score it 10-9 again to Hannah but this ended up needing to be a fight with someone going to canvas to give the other fighter some clear scoring advantage but neither fighter comes close to being able to send the other down and we end up with a Majority Draw! Two judges gave two rounds to each fighter for 38-38 scores to offset the 39-37 scoring advantage Hannah gained winning 3 of 4 rounds with that 3rd judge.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Gene_Hannah_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Charley_Forrest_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1694
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Monday 11 November 1957
St. Nicholas Arena
New York, New York, USA
Tony DeCola 147 25 8 1 L Jimmy Archer 148 14 1 0 SD 10/10
Welterweight
referee: Petey Della 5-4 judge: Nick Gamboli 4-6, Charlie Rosen 4-6
Joey Archer 152 10 0 0 W Paul Griffin 150 11 14 1 UD 6/6
Harold Smith 131 14 6 0 W Leroy Grant 126 0 1 0 PTS 6/6
Sid Rubenstein 205 2 1 0 W Don Tatro 177 2 2 1 PTS 4/4
Heavyweight
Tommy Kelly 120 7 2 0 W Johnny Calloza 125½ debut PTS 4/4
JANUARY 1958 RING – On Nov 11, 1957 at ST. Nicholas Arena Sid Rubenstein and Don Tatro meet for a 4 round undercard. Tatro wins a points decision. The short mention of the fight in Ring indicates Rubenstein as from “far Rockaway”, meaning New Jersey? I’ve updated Rubenstein’s file changing his residence as Rockaway, New Jersey. Put a short note in his Bio indicating this per the Ring account. As I progress through this, and I come across any new info like this with other fighters I'll post updated versions just to provide any new info/insite to these guys.

Tatro, had a file that had two different ratings at HW for him. The bio file mentions Romultiltus, possibly the one marked Tomato Cans, the other mark TC Parade is that from Bear? Bear I know I got a file from you Parade of TC’s thread. I did some altering and testing and came up what I’ve got attached with a 3rd rating version for him.

TITLE BOUT 2013 – In our replay, on all three cards, Rubenstein comes out the stronger of the two fighters, but then Tatro dominates the 2nd round clearly by all three judges. The 3rd and 4th rounds we had some differing of opinions to who won those rounds a two judges score it Tatro while one gave both rounds to Rubenstein. Ended then 39-37, 39-37 Tatro, 37-39 Rubenstein for a Split Decision victory for Tatro.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Don_Tatro_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Sid_Rubenstein_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #1695
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Heading out west......

Tuesday 08 October 1957
San Jose, California, USA
Kid Centella 137½ 22 15 1 L Willie Morton 140½ 9 1 0 PTS 10/10
Welterweight
referee: Jack Silver 95-96
Kid Rayo 1 3 0 L Frank Brown 3 1 1 PTS 6/6
Willie Woods 2 1 1 L Chico Villa 4 2 0 PTS 4/4
Art Wright 15 14 0 W Leon Hatcher 5 3 1 KO 6/?
Heavyweight

JANUARY 1958 RING – IN SUNNY CALIFORNIA – In a 6 round heavyweight match as part of a show put on by promoter Abe Acquistapace, Art Wright managed to knock out Leon Hatcher in the final round for the win. Hatcher file I had was created by Bear. I didn’t do anything with it other than I wrote up his BIO in the format used with the “official” game rated fighters and that I’ve been using. Just a personal preference to put the career records shown in one format to look at as I page through them looking for similar fighters for play testing. So I’ve included a file with just that. If you want to keep Bear’s file then don’t load this one. Wright, I’ve rated as a LHW and a HW. I believe there is a distinctive enough break in the first period that he fought mainly as and against LHW’s and then he moved up into the HW division range. His BIO reflects how I broke that down with a pretty distinctive difference in results he had as a LHW going W13(KO 5) / L5(KO 3) / D0 and then as a HW not nearly as successful with a record of W4(KO 1) / L12(KO 7) / D0.

TITLE BOUT 2013 - Our replay of their fight was a surprise to say the least with Hatcher taking a majority decision over Wright! During my play testing of Wright he would beat Hatcher probably 65-70% of the time though only about half of those KO’s. One judge scored all 6 rounds to Hatcher while one other scored it closer giving it to Hatcher 58-56. The third judge had Wright ahead through the first 3 rounds but then gave Hatcher the last 3. First two rounds were as dull as you could get with neither fighter doing much but missing with the few punches thrown.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Art_Wright_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Leon_Hatcher_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1696
Hootowl9
Minors (Double A)

Good stuff!

Thanks again Rocco, Bear, Bask & others for the new posts. I've been very busy with work and family illness. Have been using any free time going over all the fighters I have downloaded & thinking how I'm going to set things up in my game. Still have to download all the HW threads.
Anyway,....I'm hoping in a couple of weeks or so I'm going to start rating a ton of fighters for my Uni. For the most part HW's.

For whatever reason I really enjoy going over the lower to mid-range guy's that fighters have to move through on the way up. None great but many a solid test. Always a chance for an upset and a temporary road block to a career goal. Yup,....should beat this guy but never say never!

I've made five folders, "Tomato Can's", "Record Builders", "Next Step-up", "Lunch Bucket Fighters", ( Win or Lose, lot's of bouts) and "Tough Step-up". So as I get those done I'd like to post many of them if it's OK with you guy's ?

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I move forward. I won't have time to fully test them all but feel I'll be in the ballpark. Just wanted to say that up front. We all have our own thoughts on ratings and it's been helpful to study yours and others ratings. I think John Dewey had a post on this in one of the threads? It all comes down to what enjoyment each person get's out of this game. There is no right or wrong way.

With that, I better hit the sack before work, plus a snowstorm on the way. I should of stayed in Vegas!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #1697
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl9 View Post
Thanks again Rocco, Bear, Bask & others for the new posts. I've been very busy with work and family illness. Have been using any free time going over all the fighters I have downloaded & thinking how I'm going to set things up in my game. Still have to download all the HW threads.
Anyway,....I'm hoping in a couple of weeks or so I'm going to start rating a ton of fighters for my Uni. For the most part HW's.

For whatever reason I really enjoy going over the lower to mid-range guy's that fighters have to move through on the way up. None great but many a solid test. Always a chance for an upset and a temporary road block to a career goal. Yup,....should beat this guy but never say never!

I've made five folders, "Tomato Can's", "Record Builders", "Next Step-up", "Lunch Bucket Fighters", ( Win or Lose, lot's of bouts) and "Tough Step-up". So as I get those done I'd like to post many of them if it's OK with you guy's ?

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I move forward. I won't have time to fully test them all but feel I'll be in the ballpark. Just wanted to say that up front. We all have our own thoughts on ratings and it's been helpful to study yours and others ratings. I think John Dewey had a post on this in one of the threads? It all comes down to what enjoyment each person get's out of this game. There is no right or wrong way.

With that, I better hit the sack before work, plus a snowstorm on the way. I should of stayed in Vegas!
My old buddy, John Dewey, posted his thoughts about file creation often. I learned a lot from his (although I disagree with his on the old prize ring guys). I never felt good about rating active fighters, but I learned a lot from John about that when he rated guys he'd watched on ESPN's Friday night fights. I thought about what I'd just watched and check out his ratings and reflect on how to do things. Began posting my own active guys from Spanish Language programs on my cable. Don't need to know the language to watch a fight. I miss John a lot since he passed away. My Rev War re-enactment unit would March in the Wautosa 4th of July parade and John's Civil War unit marched directly behind us in the parade.

Looking forward to your future posts.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title

Last edited by bear; 03-13-2017 at 01:03 AM.
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #1698
Hootowl9
Minors (Double A)

Not sure how things are in Chicago land but it's starting to look a lot like Christmas here in Wisconsin!

One of my biggest regrets is not meeting with John Dewey. I had some contact with him as I use to drive Semi in that area every week and he was feeling ill so it was put off. I still feel bad about that!!!

If your still marching in the Wauwatosa, Wis. parade would like to meet up with you. I use to talk via message with Wildhawke 11 often as well, but he has also passed.

I get to Chicago & Rockford every once in awhile to visit some friends.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to doing some ratings but it might be a little bit. I'm working on a small bunch now, but have so many other things to download still. The Title Bout bug bit me hard this time! hehe
Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #1699
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl9 View Post
Not sure how things are in Chicago land but it's starting to look a lot like Christmas here in Wisconsin!

One of my biggest regrets is not meeting with John Dewey. I had some contact with him as I use to drive Semi in that area every week and he was feeling ill so it was put off. I still feel bad about that!!!

If your still marching in the Wauwatosa, Wis. parade would like to meet up with you. I use to talk via message with Wildhawke 11 often as well, but he has also passed.

I get to Chicago & Rockford every once in awhile to visit some friends.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to doing some ratings but it might be a little bit. I'm working on a small bunch now, but have so many other things to download still. The Title Bout bug bit me hard this time! hehe

My unit still does Tosa buy I haven't gone up there since John passed. Let me know when you're coming down to Chicago. I live on the north west side. Maybe we could meet up. We got our first appreciable snow since Dec. 17th. Just an inch or two, but snow showers are still in tonight's forecast. My darts team has a road match to night in Oak Park so I hope its not too bad. I'm trying to remember how to drive in snow. Almost St. Patrick's Day and this is the first snow I've seen this year.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #1700
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
My old buddy, John Dewey, posted his thoughts about file creation often. I learned a lot from his (although I disagree with his on the old prize ring guys). I never felt good about rating active fighters, but I learned a lot from John about that when he rated guys he'd watched on ESPN's Friday night fights. I thought about what I'd just watched and check out his ratings and reflect on how to do things. Began posting my own active guys from Spanish Language programs on my cable. Don't need to know the language to watch a fight. I miss John a lot since he passed away. My Rev War re-enactment unit would March in the Wautosa 4th of July parade and John's Civil War unit marched directly behind us in the parade.

Looking forward to your future posts.
I was gone from the forum I guess most of the time when John Dewey was with us so I never got to know him. Wish I had.